• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FireCaptain

Holland on SiriusXM w/ audio link

Rate this topic

Teams have been trying to man handle us for 20+ years. I think our track record stands alone. We have outclassed and out disciplined teams in that time frame. The bigger, badder, tougher argument is such a load of garbage around here and it has been since I joined this forum 11 years ago. Get some new material. Datsyuk and Z will go into the corners with anyone and most of the time come out with the puck. 9 out of 10 fights now is a staged gong show and does nothing for the momentum of the game like it used to.

You should send a memo to the league since you have it all figured out and they all are still outfitting their teams with fighters. I mean somebody just signed George Parros for God's sake! Hurry man!

esteef

So petty.

2011 = Stanley Cup Champs

2013 = Runner Up

Boston is not an easy team to play against.

Actually, the legitimate point is how we played against them, as SaCkaveli20 suggested.

The Wings have no control over how well Boston plays (i.e. the playoff success in '11 and '13 to which you're alluding). They only have control over how they themselves play against Boston, which, as was just demonstrated, has been exceptionally well.

Datsyuk will dangle-handle them all :)

I don't want Datsyuk to handle anyone's dangle.

If he knew that was expected of him, he would have went home to Russia for sure.

So what if they have fighters? Who is going to fight them? As for being tough, that doesn't automatically override skill.

People need to stop worrying. They probably won't even play their goons against us because we aren't a cheap shot team. And you can't stop Chara from doing what he does. People need to stop worrying. The Wings have played and beaten tough teams before

This. I can't stand hearing how "big" the East is and how much the Red Wings need to change to become more like those teams. If you don't like the fact that the stars of this team are European guys with skill as opposed to large centers who hit people and throw pissy fits at the end of games (Getzlaf), go root for another team. When people say the "East is big", all they really mean is "Boston is big". And when you say "Boston", all you really mean is Chara and Lucic. Cripes, Boston has Krug and Marchand on their team too!

Glad this breed of Wings fan wasn't on message boards in 1997 - Lindros was SO much BIGGER than Yzerman that series. Turns out you can skate and pass around people. :)

http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2013/01/2013-nhl-teams-by-weight-height-and-age.html

Is there really any extreme discernible advantage, anywhere?

Detroit is taller on average than Boston ... surprised?

Yes but Detroit has some big men who don't play very big. Franzen, Kindl, even Bertuzzi to a degree. They're all over 215 lbs and 6'3". And if they include goalies, Gustavsson is 6'3".

There's really no question Boston plays a more physical game than the Wings. As for wether that makes them better or more likely to win is another matter.

i think at least half the threads here have a discussion on size and toughness

:lol: it's that time of year. Moving to the east is making it an even bigger topic than usual.

Detroit's blueline is the best it's been in a while in terms of overall size. They're more able to hold their own against the big bodies everyone sends to the net these days.

what ever happened to everyone saying the west was super tough and the east was the skill conference???? outside of boston, who does everyone anticipate being so hard to play against???

what ever happened to everyone saying the west was super tough and the east was the skill conference???? outside of boston, who does everyone anticipate being so hard to play against???

Toronto - McLaren, Orr, Clarkson, Frazer they are getting into Boston territory in terms of toughness. :(

Pittsburgh - Engelland, MacIntyre

Devils - Janssen, Bouilton, Clowe

Canadiens - Prust, Parros, Tarnasky

these guys will take run at the Wings stars and that's why some people here want someone who can protect the players, so the mojo of "we like our team" can be fine but also a healthy, not-intimidated team is fine. The game is changing you need some guys, that can deliver monsterous hits and crash the net skill alone doesn't win games nor does toughness alone, balance is key in the NHL nowadays.

So let us hope, that Holland isn't done and does indeed look for some help in that regard. Is it really that hard to understand, to want something who can protect this team against such heavyweights? I don't think so and I really hoped Holland would acknowledge that in his interview instead of talking about how Chicago beat Boston.

Edited by frankgrimes

Toronto - McLaren, Orr, Clarkson, Frazer they are getting into Boston territory in terms of toughness. :(

these guys will take run at the Wings stars and that's why some people here want someone who can protect the players, so the mojo of "we like our team" can be fine but also a healthy, not-intimidated team is fine. The game is changing you need some guys, that can deliver monsterous hits and crash the net skill alone doesn't win games nor does toughness alone, balance is key in the NHL nowadays.

So let us hope, that Holland isn't done and does indeed look for some help in that regard. Is it really that hard to understand, to want something who can protect this team against such heavyweights? I don't think so and I really hoped Holland would acknowledge that in his interview instead of talking about how Chicago beat Boston.

could a similar list not be made for teams in the west? additionally, how many of those guys wont dress against us since we dont carry a fighter?

(genuine questions, not trying to troll or bait or anything)

Yeah those guys are going to take runs whether we have an enforcer or not. That's kind of their job, us having a fighter wouldn't stop them, if anything it would encourage a more physical game that isn't our strength. Also let Engelland try and take a run at Datsyuk, that's a great match up for us 5 on 5.

So what if they have fighters? Who is going to fight them? As for being tough, that doesn't automatically override skill.

People need to stop worrying. They probably won't even play their goons against us because we aren't a cheap shot team. And you can't stop Chara from doing what he does. People need to stop worrying. The Wings have played and beaten tough teams before

Everyone plays their goons against Montreal, and punks their team out.

Why wouldn't they try that same strategy against us?

Teams like Montreal and Buffalo have been in denial for years about getting bigger in the East, but they're trying to change their philosophies with recent moves. There's something to that. Not like these other GM's are idiots, while Holland is a genius.

could a similar list not be made for teams in the west? additionally, how many of those guys wont dress against us since we dont carry a fighter?

(genuine questions, not trying to troll or bait or anything)

Not really.

Clearly Datsyuk should have retired because he is going to be so 'manhandled'.

For real.

I don't buy it either. I'm sure some people won't think so but do you ever think that these teams respect/fear our style of play/history/sucess a bit?

Plus, Kronwall is the biggest open ice hitter in the league. Datsyuk is the least hittable player in the league, and so on. Its just like the Anaheim debate in '07...thinking we had to sign a team full of goons to survive. And then we made the finals the next two years and the Ducks disappeared. We'll be fine.

I think some people overreact about going to the east. We have done very well against teams in the east over the last 15 seasons. Boston will play us tough but I think we will still hold our own. By no means we will cake walk to the conference finals but I don't expect to be pushed around. I like the current roster going into next season. I wouldn't mind adding a defenseman but I don't see any reason going after some knuckle head who will run up penalty minutes.

Detroits record vs East last 6 years:

07-08= 7-2-1

08-09= 12-5-1

09-10= 9-6-3

10-11= 12-4-2

11-12= 10-7-1

12-13= N/A

Total Record= 50-24-8

That just happens to be 82 games, and in the cap world 50 wins over a full season usually gets you a division title.

Detroits record vs East last 6 years:

07-08= 7-2-1

08-09= 12-5-1

09-10= 9-6-3

10-11= 12-4-2

11-12= 10-7-1

12-13= N/A

Total Record= 50-24-8

That just happens to be 82 games, and in the cap world 50 wins over a full season usually gets you a division title.

I love when people use facts to abolish nearly any remaining arguement there is...

5 bucks says a few people will completely ignore this and swear that we'll finish 15th and at least two of our players will be bruised to death by the toughest place on earth, the NHL's Eastern Conference.

Edited by achildr1