• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#41 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

Only Wing I worry about in the East is Kronwall.
All those babies on Bost/Montr dont like getting hit clean and its forgon conclusion that you will
be jumped when delivering great hits.

#42 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

Lucic and Chara will manhandle us.

Gregg Campbell will manhandle us....
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#43 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

Toronto - McLaren, Orr, Clarkson, Frazer they are getting into Boston territory in terms of toughness. :(

Pittsburgh - Engelland, MacIntyre

Devils - Janssen, Bouilton, Clowe

Canadiens - Prust, Parros, Tarnasky

these guys will take run at the Wings stars and that's why some people here want someone who can protect the players, so the mojo of "we like our team" can be fine but also a healthy, not-intimidated team is fine. The game is changing you need some guys, that can deliver monsterous hits and crash the net skill alone doesn't win games nor does toughness alone, balance is key in the NHL nowadays.

So let us hope, that Holland isn't done and does indeed look for some help in that regard. Is it really that hard to understand, to want something who can protect this team against such heavyweights? I don't think so and I really hoped Holland would acknowledge that in his interview instead of talking about how Chicago beat Boston.

could a similar list not be made for teams in the west? additionally, how many of those guys wont dress against us since we dont carry a fighter?

(genuine questions, not trying to troll or bait or anything)

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#44 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

Toronto - McLaren, Orr, Clarkson, Frazer they are getting into Boston territory in terms of toughness. :(

these guys will take run at the Wings stars and that's why some people here want someone who can protect the players, so the mojo of "we like our team" can be fine but also a healthy, not-intimidated team is fine. The game is changing you need some guys, that can deliver monsterous hits and crash the net skill alone doesn't win games nor does toughness alone, balance is key in the NHL nowadays.

So let us hope, that Holland isn't done and does indeed look for some help in that regard. Is it really that hard to understand, to want something who can protect this team against such heavyweights? I don't think so and I really hoped Holland would acknowledge that in his interview instead of talking about how Chicago beat Boston.

Yeah those guys are going to take runs whether we have an enforcer or not. That's kind of their job, us having a fighter wouldn't stop them, if anything it would encourage a more physical game that isn't our strength. Also let Engelland try and take a run at Datsyuk, that's a great match up for us 5 on 5.

#45 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,826 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

So what if they have fighters? Who is going to fight them? As for being tough, that doesn't automatically override skill.

People need to stop worrying. They probably won't even play their goons against us because we aren't a cheap shot team. And you can't stop Chara from doing what he does. People need to stop worrying. The Wings have played and beaten tough teams before

Everyone plays their goons against Montreal, and punks their team out.  

Why wouldn't they try that same strategy against us?  

Teams like Montreal and Buffalo have been in denial for years about getting bigger in the East, but they're trying to change their philosophies with recent moves.  There's something to that.  Not like these other GM's are idiots, while Holland is a genius.  

could a similar list not be made for teams in the west? additionally, how many of those guys wont dress against us since we dont carry a fighter?

(genuine questions, not trying to troll or bait or anything)

Not really.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#46 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

Lucic and Chara will manhandle us.

Clearly Datsyuk should have retired because he is going to be so 'manhandled'.

#47 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

Clearly Datsyuk should have retired because he is going to be so 'manhandled'.

For real.

I don't buy it either. I'm sure some people won't think so but do you ever think that these teams respect/fear our style of play/history/sucess a bit?

Plus, Kronwall is the biggest open ice hitter in the league. Datsyuk is the least hittable player in the league, and so on. Its just like the Anaheim debate in '07...thinking we had to sign a team full of goons to survive. And then we made the finals the next two years and the Ducks disappeared. We'll be fine.

#48 loutswings

loutswings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

I think some people overreact about going to the east. We have done very well against teams in the east over the last 15 seasons. Boston will play us tough but I think we will still hold our own. By no means we will cake walk to the conference finals but I don't expect to be pushed around. I like the current roster going into next season. I wouldn't mind adding a defenseman but I don't see any reason going after some knuckle head who will run up penalty minutes.

#49 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

Detroits record vs East last 6 years:

07-08= 7-2-1

08-09= 12-5-1

09-10= 9-6-3

10-11= 12-4-2

11-12= 10-7-1

12-13= N/A

Total Record= 50-24-8

That just happens to be 82 games, and in the cap world 50 wins over a full season usually gets you a division title. 

#50 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

07-08= 7-2-1
08-09= 12-5-1
09-10= 9-6-3
10-11= 12-4-2
11-12= 10-7-1
12-13= N/A

Total Record= 50-24-8

That just happens to be 82 games, and in the cap world 50 wins over a full season usually gets you a division title. 

I love when people use facts to abolish nearly any remaining arguement there is...

5 bucks says a few people will completely ignore this and swear that we'll finish 15th and at least two of our players will be bruised to death by the toughest place on earth, the NHL's Eastern Conference.

Edited by achildr1, 09 July 2013 - 08:58 PM.

#51 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

Whatever, because stats are always telling the whole story... I stand by my point and hoping for Holland to have something upon his sleeve to make the transistion as smooth as possible.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#52 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

Whatever, because stats are always telling the whole story...

I'm sorry, but if the stats don't tell the "story", what does?

This is beginning to enter the bizzaro world class of arguments.

#53 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

Whatever, because stats are always telling the whole story... I stand by my point and hoping for Holland to have something upon his sleeve to make the transistion as smooth as possible.

At the end of the season they don't ask how, they ask how many.

#54 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

I didnt say we werent going to win. I just said 2 guys are going to manhandle us. They manhandle a lot of teams.

#55 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

No like they "manhandled" the Pens.  Understand?

esteef

And it was really joy to watch :lol:

...but the point is that the Pens played on the tougher and bigger card by adding Iginla,Morrow and Murray at the trade deadline and still got swept by the Bruins.Wouldn't mind to see those players here,but there's no a guarantee the Wings are gonna be a better team. :eh:

#56 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

And it was really joy to watch :lol:

...but the point is that the Pens played on the tougher and bigger card by adding Iginla,Morrow and Murray at the trade deadline and still got swept by the Bruins.Wouldn't mind to see those players here,but there's no a guarantee the Wings are gonna be a better team. :eh:

I think everyone should know at this point that it's not the size of your players, it's how you use them.  Or is that something that only teams with small players say?   :cheesy:

#57 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:52 PM

07-08= 7-2-1
08-09= 12-5-1
09-10= 9-6-3
10-11= 12-4-2
11-12= 10-7-1
12-13= N/A

Total Record= 50-24-8

There is a difference between 15 games a season well like thirty including the few physical WC teams and playing like 60 games against more physical teams.

Remember what weber did to z? We HAVE NO ONE to stand up to against stuff like that. The biggest thing with having a fighter is to let guys know our stars are untouchable.

Whatever, because stats are always telling the whole story...

I stand by my point and hoping for Holland to have something upon his sleeve to make the transistion as smooth as possible.

Agreed sometimes the "eyeball test" means a lot. As someone that watches the eastern conference a lot I can see they're tougher and more physical.....then when I need to support it cause many people don't trust the eyeball test. Then I also have facts to back it up. The east hits more. Period end of story.

#58 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

When I say the EAST is big, I mean it otherwhise I would say Boston is big (which they obviously are).

They're actually both smaller and lighter than the Wings based on their rosters at the end of the season. 

There are many teams in the east who play a more physical game than the Wings, but the WIngs aren't really that small or light compared to their new conference.

I also think that size and "toughness" are extremely overrated as far as success in the league is concerned. No matter how big you are, skill is what will bring you success. Sure its better to be bigger and more skilled but if I have to choose one or the other I'd rather be the skilled team.

#59 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

If an opposing coach was stupid enough to put any of those guys (except Clarkson) out against Datsyuk or Zetterbergs lines it would be a huge bonus for the Wings. They can attempt to take runs at our guys all they want but they'll have to do it while the linesman is pulling the puck out of their net.

Datsyuk would feast on those guys.

#60 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

Everyone plays their goons against Montreal, and punks their team out.  

Why wouldn't they try that same strategy against us?  

Teams like Montreal and Buffalo have been in denial for years about getting bigger in the East, but they're trying to change their philosophies with recent moves.  There's something to that.  Not like these other GM's are idiots, while Holland is a genius.  

Not really.  

One team "punked" Montreal out this year and it was the Leafs in 1 game. The Canadiens were also the ones who instigated those fights due to the fact that they were getting killed on the scoreboard.

The best way to deal with a team carrying a goon, is to not carry one yourself, and to have a good powerplay. 

The Wings have faced several teams with those types of guys on them and have proven over and over again that you do not need to carry a fighter. Having one on your roster doesn't have any effect at all on teams taking liberty with your players, that will happen in a physical sport regardless...all the fighter does is allow you to get your "pound of flesh" in return.