FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:42 PM

Soooo, Dany Heatley's out, then?

What? Too soon? 

I keed, I keed.

"drama"?. What does the "drama" have to do with the HOF? He didn't cheat and he didn't kill anyone. On the ice, when healthy, Lindros was one of the best players in the world. 'nuff said.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#43 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:39 AM

More than half of the starting roster will be in. Larionov, Robitaille, Hull, Yzerman, Chelios, and Shanahan are already there. Hasek and Lidstrom are locks in their respective first years of eligibility. Fedorov and Datsyuk are almost sure to make it in also.

GMR has already pointed out Bowman.  Ilitch is also already in.  When Holland finally gets in (when is he eligable?) that will make 13.

As for Lindros v Forsberg, they both get in.  Lindros was a GREAT player, absolutely dominant, a complete beast before the injuries wrecked him.  I'm a big believer in quality over quantity when it comes to the HHOF, I'd rather have a great player whose career was cut short by injuries (Lindros, Bure) than an good player who was a long time accumulator (Cicarelli).  The cups argument is completely bogus - do we let Maltby and Draper in on that basis?

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#44 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:48 AM

Greatest moment in Chelis career?

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#45 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

There were a couple articles in the morning papers online that were speculating on who else on the 01-02 team would make the Hall, and they were all four the ones mentioned here...Dom, Sergei, Nick and Pasha.  That's going to be the team for the ages.  One of the most powerhouse lineups ever.

Posted Image

#46 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

Forsberg > Lindros

I don't care what the career numbers were.

I go by Cups.

When rating players, you don't care about their personal stats, you only go by team stats? 

#47 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

When rating players, you don't care about their personal stats, you only go by team stats? 

Nah it's a combination of both should have revised that.

#48 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

GMR has already pointed out Bowman.  Ilitch is also already in.  When Holland finally gets in (when is he eligable?) that will make 13.

As for Lindros v Forsberg, they both get in.  Lindros was a GREAT player, absolutely dominant, a complete beast before the injuries wrecked him.  I'm a big believer in quality over quantity when it comes to the HHOF, I'd rather have a great player whose career was cut short by injuries (Lindros, Bure) than an good player who was a long time accumulator (Cicarelli).  The cups argument is completely bogus - do we let Maltby and Draper in on that basis?

Forsberg was not as physical as Lindros---though he was no slouch in the hitting department---but he was arguably even more dominant at offense, and he was one of the most skilled players ever.

That said, neither of them reached even 800 games, and that's just not enough these days.

#49 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

There were a couple articles in the morning papers online that were speculating on who else on the 01-02 team would make the Hall, and they were all four the ones mentioned here...Dom, Sergei, Nick and Pasha.  That's going to be the team for the ages.  One of the most powerhouse lineups ever.

One hell of a Colorado team we beat too.  Sakic, Forsberg, Roy, Blake, Foote etc.  If game 7 hadn't been a blowout it could've gone down as one of the greatest series ever.

#50 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,826 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

The only knock is that Lidstrom was the only player from that 2002 team in his prime at the time.  The other guys were past their primes (Datsyuk was before his), albeit still good players.  For that reason, there are a few teams in NHL history that I'd rank higher.    

However, as far as all time greats assembled on one roster (disregarding primes), that might be the best team ever, and certainly the best we're likely to see again.

Forsberg was not as physical as Lindros---though he was no slouch in the hitting department---but he was arguably even more dominant at offense, and he was one of the most skilled players ever.

That said, neither of them reached even 800 games, and that's just not enough these days.

It's enough.  Bure and Cam Neely didn't reach 800 if I'm not mistaken.  Recent HOF inductees at that.  

Edited by GMRwings1983, 10 July 2013 - 07:28 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#51 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

Happy for Shanny and Cheli. Dumb they didn't use the 4th slot. Where's Makarov? Shouldn't that be a no brainer?

As for Forsberg he'll get in first ballot easy. No question. Lindros on the other hand has made too many enemies and he might have to wait a long, long time.

Edited by Number19, 12 July 2013 - 07:54 PM.

#52 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

Greatest moment in Chelis career?

I was not nearly as into hockey back then as I am now, but I remember watching that moment on TV and liking him for that patently smartassed display.