• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest The Axe

Waive The Waiting Period

Rate this topic

I think he should wait the normal 3 years. Not because he doesn't deserve to have it waived for him but because after three years of not being in the league everyone will have plenty of time to realize just how dominate and insanely great he actually was. So in 2015 we will not only have another reason to re-live his career but by then he might be able to get the recognition that I feel he never got when he played.....still have no idea how he was never at least nominated for the Hart.

I think he should wait the normal 3 years. Not because he doesn't deserve to have it waived for him but because after three years of not being in the league everyone will have plenty of time to realize just how dominate and insanely great he actually was. So in 2015 we will not only have another reason to re-live his career but by then he might be able to get the recognition that I feel he never got when he played.....still have no idea how he was never at least nominated for the Hart.

You mean the European captain that would never be able to lead his team to a cup?

Ok, so maybe only Cherry felt that way, but I think being that great and being European hurt his glory. Not sure that is the right word, was going to originally type Fame, but Lids doesn't care about fame, so not sure the word I am looking for there but you get the point!

Guest The Axe

You mean the European captain that would never be able to lead his team to a cup?

Ok, so maybe only Cherry felt that way, but I think being that great and being European hurt his glory. Not sure that is the right word, was going to originally type Fame, but Lids doesn't care about fame, so not sure the word I am looking for there but you get the point!

Chelios was awesome, but he was half the man on and off the ice that Lidstrom was. And he got a lot more pub than Nick. Oh well. I like the Barry Sanders aspect of Lidstrom. It's way cool.

Hate to say this but I believe I speak the truth. The Canadian hockey elite, which is pretty much the entire HHOF Selection Committee who have a say in this, would never in a million years waive the waiting period for a Swede. Never. Going. To. Happen.

Who cares anyway. I listen to a lot of NHL Radio and it's amusing to listen to some of the Canadian elite when being interviewed and the topic of great all time D men comes up (which surprisingly it does quite a bit). It kills them to even mention Lids. I can feel the strain in their voice when they actually do. Not all of them, but more than not. And when they do give Lids some props, it's usually with a condescending "he'd be right up there in the conversation" or some other terminology that is devoid of the truth that most accept. He was the best D man ever to play the game. Can you possibly argue that others were AS good? Sure, Bobby Orr would be very legitimate conversation. Other than that, no one really comes close. Period.

This will slowly change as the Selection Committee and old time Canadian hockey elite are purged out and the younger class/representation comes in (which will have more international players looking on the past decade of international players voted in). Plus, when guys that actually played with Lids or were heavily involved in the NHL when he played start coming in, there will be a shift in the discussion of greatest D man of all time. It will be automatic.

Q: "Greatest D man of all t..?"

A: "Nick Lidstrom" "Next"

Hate to say this but I believe I speak the truth. The Canadian hockey elite, which is pretty much the entire HHOF Selection Committee who have a say in this, would never in a million years waive the waiting period for a Swede. Never. Going. To. Happen.

Who cares anyway. I listen to a lot of NHL Radio and it's amusing to listen to some of the Canadian elite when being interviewed and the topic of great all time D men comes up (which surprisingly it does quite a bit). It kills them to even mention Lids. I can feel the strain in their voice when they actually do. Not all of them, but more than not. And when they do give Lids some props, it's usually with a condescending "he'd be right up there in the conversation" or some other terminology that is devoid of the truth that most accept. He was the best D man ever to play the game. Can you possibly argue that others were AS good? Sure, Bobby Orr would be very legitimate conversation. Other than that, no one really comes close. Period.

This will slowly change as the Selection Committee and old time Canadian hockey elite are purged out and the younger class/representation comes in (which will have more international players looking on the past decade of international players voted in). Plus, when guys that actually played with Lids or were heavily involved in the NHL when he played start coming in, there will be a shift in the discussion of greatest D man of all time. It will be automatic.

Q: "Greatest D man of all t..?"

A: "Nick Lidstrom" "Next"

You can't compare eras, so greatest of all time will always be conjecture. D men used to never score and before second assists were given their assist numbers were way down. Playing styles and equipment changed too. The best way to gauge it if you insist on making the argument is how much did they dominate their peers? Eddie Shore, Doug Harvey, Orr, and Lidstrom are the 4 best ever. Beyond that there is no right order.

Btw, if you want to know who the best goal scorer of all time is, Joe Malone scored 44 goals in the NHL's first year of existence. He played 20 games.

Guest The Axe

You can't compare eras, so greatest of all time will always be conjecture. D men used to never score and before second assists were given their assist numbers were way down. Playing styles and equipment changed too. The best way to gauge it if you insist on making the argument is how much did they dominate their peers? Eddie Shore, Doug Harvey, Orr, and Lidstrom are the 4 best ever. Beyond that there is no right order.Btw, if you want to know who the best goal scorer of all time is, Joe Malone scored 44 goals in the NHL's first year of existence. He played 20 games.

Eddie Shore

Doug Harvey

Bobby Orr

Larry Robinson

Ray Bourque

Nick Lidstrom

Thats the UNDISPUTED all-time list starting 6.