• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

I like three seasons before a big deal is given.

Just not in the case of Damien Brunner?

#22 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

Just not in the case of Damien Brunner?

theres a difference between 3m and 3 years than 7m for 8 years yes?

#23 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

theres a difference between 3m and 3 years than 7m for 8 years yes?

Last time I checked, yes. However, we know what Rask singed for, but we still don't know for certain what Brunner is asking for, or will ultimately get.

Of the two contracts, I'd take Rask's. All things being equal.

#24 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

Last time I checked, yes. However, we know what Rask singed for, but we still don't know for certain what Brunner is asking for, or will ultimately get.

Of the two contracts, I'd take Rask's. All things being equal.

What team are you a fan of? Cause my team has a goalie in Howard. Doesn't make sense to have to elite goalies lol.

Brunner is a need Rask isn't. But you're right in just have a hard to believing he will get 4m from anyone. But like you said we still have yet to see.

#25 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

What team are you a fan of? Cause my team has a goalie in Howard. Doesn't make sense to have to elite goalies lol.

Brunner is a need Rask isn't. But you're right in just have a hard to believing he will get 4m from anyone. But like you said we still have yet to see.

Reality time.

Obviously, given the need for the Bruins to sign Rask, or the need for the Red Wings to sign Brunner, I'd take the Rask-Bruins deal all day long.

#26 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

Reality time.

Obviously, given the need for the Bruins to sign Rask, or the need for the Red Wings to sign Brunner, I'd take the Rask-Bruins deal all day long.

He was all ready under contract wasn't he? So waiting another year wouldnt of hurt.

#27 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

He was all ready under contract wasn't he? So waiting another year wouldnt of hurt.

Something tells me that the Bruins may have been concerned about ultimately losing their #1 goalie.

#28 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

WANT!

not sure if the folks on here want bergeron. he isn't big and doesn't fight. 

#29 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:47 AM

Trading a top 2 Dman and a really good 2-way forward is a really good way to make Rask earn that $7 mil.

Boychuk is not a top-two defenseman by any stretch. He's average at offense and prone to brainfarts on defense. He's an able second-pairing defenseman, but cannot effectively shut down top-line opposition.

#30 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:45 AM

Never expected myself to repeat this, but Howards contract is looking better and better. Sure, Rask is elite but 7 mil per is more than Quick is making and I think Quick is indeed the better goalie. Rask had all the leverage in these negotiations, Bruins have no one close to his level, he waited a long time for this chance he took it and ran with it. Also good luck with offering a goalie a 3 - 4 years contract, they are just going to sign a 1 year deal become UFAs and never look back at their old organisation. Lundquist has to love this signing, he is by far the best one and can now ask for 8.5 + if I were his agent this would be a very very good day for me. Also Jonathan Quick would be a good example of a goalie living up to his contract lately.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#31 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

There is a lot of homers in the media here, and none of them are happy about this deal.

Many people are very skeptical about the 8 years.

They all admit he is worth the 7mil, but they are very very worried about the term.

They also do not seem worried about fitting Bergie (as he is being called) under the cap.

I really wonder if they are going to spend lots of money on top end talent and not have enough for the vet leaders like a Shawn Thornton or Chis Kelly. Although Bergereon is quite the leader himself.

Last week the media was all happy to have Seguin gone, new week and they are worried about the lack of youth on this team!

Between the fickle fair weather fans and media in this area I would never want to play for a Boston team.

On your way in you are a character guy with flaws that can be fixed by "this locker room", on your way out you are a horrible person and every secret the team hid from the media and fans is released in about 3 days.

Look at how they destroyed Terry Francona on his way out, and that guy was/is a legend still in this area!

BTW: I would love Bergereon on the Wings, great character guy, and easily one of the top 3 defensive forwards in the game!

He joined the B's as a very young kid and has played exceptionally, I still remember the commercials he did with Raycroft when he was about 20. Shy kid, with a good personality!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#32 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

There is a lot of homers in the media here, and none of them are happy about this deal.

Many people are very skeptical about the 8 years.

They all admit he is worth the 7mil, but they are very very worried about the term.

They also do not seem worried about fitting Bergie (as he is being called) under the cap.

I really wonder if they are going to spend lots of money on top end talent and not have enough for the vet leaders like a Shawn Thornton or Chis Kelly. Although Bergereon is quite the leader himself.

Last week the media was all happy to have Seguin gone, new week and they are worried about the lack of youth on this team!

Between the fickle fair weather fans and media in this area I would never want to play for a Boston team.

On your way in you are a character guy with flaws that can be fixed by "this locker room", on your way out you are a horrible person and every secret the team hid from the media and fans is released in about 3 days.

Look at how they destroyed Terry Francona on his way out, and that guy was/is a legend still in this area!

BTW: I would love Bergereon on the Wings, great character guy, and easily one of the top 3 defensive forwards in the game!

He joined the B's as a very young kid and has played exceptionally, I still remember the commercials he did with Raycroft when he was about 20. Shy kid, with a good personality!

If I were Seguin, I would have sued the media for different reasons: 1. calling my mum I mean honestly how did they even get her number? 2. investigating a PRIVATE tweet (thats the name of it?) 3. trash talking and releasing false statements 4. releasing pictures without my permission followed by an official refusal to provide interviews for the time being. The kid is 21 or 22 leave him alone and let him worry about the only thing that matters, on ice performance.

The Boston media his horrible probably the WORST in the whole USA, followed by Philadelphia. I always thought Toronto had by far the worst but I guess Boston is really catching up to them which is not a positive. Wouldn't be surprised if Bergeron decides to walk and sign in a more quiet enviroment like Horton did.

The term was probably to get his salary a bit down people have to keep in mind the salary might jump to 85 - 90 million in the next 8 years and then 7 m for an elite goalie will be nothing. I mean Mike Smith got 6 m a year, Price 6.5 give Rask 4 times of 4 over any of those the only guys currently better are Lundquist, Thomas, Andersson, Rinne and Quick

Edited by frankgrimes, 11 July 2013 - 08:08 AM.

kftx.jpg

#33 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

The Boston media his horrible probably the WORST in the whole USA, followed by Philadelphia. I always thought Toronto had by far the worst but I guess Boston is really catching up to them which is not a positive. Wouldn't be surprised if Bergeron decides to walk and sign in a more quiet enviroment like Horton did.

This 100 xs this!

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#34 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

Wow... players used to have to accept smaller cap hit numbers to get massive deals.  8 years at 7 mil per for a goalie is a HUGE deal.  I understand why they'd be willing to take a risk on Rask but this shouldn't be thought of as anything other than a calculated risk.  7 mil for a goalie in today's NHL is a real risk.

Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#35 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

Wow... players used to have to accept smaller cap hit numbers to get massive deals.  8 years at 7 mil per for a goalie is a HUGE deal.  I understand why they'd be willing to take a risk on Rask but this shouldn't be thought of as anything other than a calculated risk.  7 mil for a goalie in today's NHL is a real risk.

Well thats the current pricetag for elite goalies, especially if no one is even close to replacing him. IF Thomas would still be there, they would have had some leverage but like I said Rask knew Boston had to pay him.

kftx.jpg

#36 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

Overpaid.  If Rask gets $7m/yr ... what does Corey Crawford get?  That's insane.  Replace all the offense that is gone by Iginla, he will save them ... not.  

#37 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

Overpaid.  If Rask gets $7m/yr ... what does Corey Crawford get?  That's insane.  Replace all the offense that is gone by Iginla, he will save them ... not.  

Bowman is extremely smart Crawford will not even get close that, he had one good year and a very bad one

kftx.jpg

#38 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

It's a risk, but Rask has looked very consistently elite for several years now, and I also think the goaltending pool as a whole is SO much deeper than it used to be.  I'm not sure if that's an argument for or against huge deals for goaltenders, but think back to 15 years ago and countries like Finland and the U.S. were notoriously bad at producing NHL goalies.  Finland's youth programs are really paying off now, and the U.S. is arguably on par with Canada in producing quality goalies. 

So yes, you can find more good goalies, and some of them are undervalued (Niemi comes to mind).  But that also means that there should be more star goalies "worthy" of the large contract than there were in the mid-2000's.

#39 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

People forget about how shaky Rask has been at times.

Even this playoff run he let in some bad goals due solely to a lack of focus.

His first chance at control of the net for the team, he gets blamed (media and fans not team) for the collapse to the flyers!

#40 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

not sure if the folks on here want bergeron. he isn't big and doesn't fight. 

well then they have obviously never watched a bruins game