• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WorkingOvertime

Bruins Re-Sign Rask for 8yr, 7m AAV

Rate this topic

Guest DeGraa55

Reality time.

Obviously, given the need for the Bruins to sign Rask, or the need for the Red Wings to sign Brunner, I'd take the Rask-Bruins deal all day long.

He was all ready under contract wasn't he? So waiting another year wouldnt of hurt.

Guest Crymson

Trading a top 2 Dman and a really good 2-way forward is a really good way to make Rask earn that $7 mil.

Boychuk is not a top-two defenseman by any stretch. He's average at offense and prone to brainfarts on defense. He's an able second-pairing defenseman, but cannot effectively shut down top-line opposition.

Never expected myself to repeat this, but Howards contract is looking better and better. Sure, Rask is elite but 7 mil per is more than Quick is making and I think Quick is indeed the better goalie.

Rask had all the leverage in these negotiations, Bruins have no one close to his level, he waited a long time for this chance he took it and ran with it. Also good luck with offering a goalie a 3 - 4 years contract, they are just going to sign a 1 year deal become UFAs and never look back at their old organisation.

Lundquist has to love this signing, he is by far the best one and can now ask for 8.5 + if I were his agent this would be a very very good day for me.

Also Jonathan Quick would be a good example of a goalie living up to his contract lately.

There is a lot of homers in the media here, and none of them are happy about this deal.

Many people are very skeptical about the 8 years.

They all admit he is worth the 7mil, but they are very very worried about the term.

They also do not seem worried about fitting Bergie (as he is being called) under the cap.

I really wonder if they are going to spend lots of money on top end talent and not have enough for the vet leaders like a Shawn Thornton or Chis Kelly. Although Bergereon is quite the leader himself.

Last week the media was all happy to have Seguin gone, new week and they are worried about the lack of youth on this team!

Between the fickle fair weather fans and media in this area I would never want to play for a Boston team.

On your way in you are a character guy with flaws that can be fixed by "this locker room", on your way out you are a horrible person and every secret the team hid from the media and fans is released in about 3 days.

Look at how they destroyed Terry Francona on his way out, and that guy was/is a legend still in this area!

BTW: I would love Bergereon on the Wings, great character guy, and easily one of the top 3 defensive forwards in the game!

He joined the B's as a very young kid and has played exceptionally, I still remember the commercials he did with Raycroft when he was about 20. Shy kid, with a good personality!

There is a lot of homers in the media here, and none of them are happy about this deal.

Many people are very skeptical about the 8 years.

They all admit he is worth the 7mil, but they are very very worried about the term.

They also do not seem worried about fitting Bergie (as he is being called) under the cap.

I really wonder if they are going to spend lots of money on top end talent and not have enough for the vet leaders like a Shawn Thornton or Chis Kelly. Although Bergereon is quite the leader himself.

Last week the media was all happy to have Seguin gone, new week and they are worried about the lack of youth on this team!

Between the fickle fair weather fans and media in this area I would never want to play for a Boston team.

On your way in you are a character guy with flaws that can be fixed by "this locker room", on your way out you are a horrible person and every secret the team hid from the media and fans is released in about 3 days.

Look at how they destroyed Terry Francona on his way out, and that guy was/is a legend still in this area!

BTW: I would love Bergereon on the Wings, great character guy, and easily one of the top 3 defensive forwards in the game!

He joined the B's as a very young kid and has played exceptionally, I still remember the commercials he did with Raycroft when he was about 20. Shy kid, with a good personality!

If I were Seguin, I would have sued the media for different reasons: 1. calling my mum I mean honestly how did they even get her number? 2. investigating a PRIVATE tweet (thats the name of it?) 3. trash talking and releasing false statements 4. releasing pictures without my permission followed by an official refusal to provide interviews for the time being. The kid is 21 or 22 leave him alone and let him worry about the only thing that matters, on ice performance.

The Boston media his horrible probably the WORST in the whole USA, followed by Philadelphia. I always thought Toronto had by far the worst but I guess Boston is really catching up to them which is not a positive. Wouldn't be surprised if Bergeron decides to walk and sign in a more quiet enviroment like Horton did.

The term was probably to get his salary a bit down people have to keep in mind the salary might jump to 85 - 90 million in the next 8 years and then 7 m for an elite goalie will be nothing. I mean Mike Smith got 6 m a year, Price 6.5 give Rask 4 times of 4 over any of those the only guys currently better are Lundquist, Thomas, Andersson, Rinne and Quick

Edited by frankgrimes

The Boston media his horrible probably the WORST in the whole USA, followed by Philadelphia. I always thought Toronto had by far the worst but I guess Boston is really catching up to them which is not a positive. Wouldn't be surprised if Bergeron decides to walk and sign in a more quiet enviroment like Horton did.

This 100 xs this!

Wow... players used to have to accept smaller cap hit numbers to get massive deals. 8 years at 7 mil per for a goalie is a HUGE deal. I understand why they'd be willing to take a risk on Rask but this shouldn't be thought of as anything other than a calculated risk. 7 mil for a goalie in today's NHL is a real risk.

Wow... players used to have to accept smaller cap hit numbers to get massive deals. 8 years at 7 mil per for a goalie is a HUGE deal. I understand why they'd be willing to take a risk on Rask but this shouldn't be thought of as anything other than a calculated risk. 7 mil for a goalie in today's NHL is a real risk.

Well thats the current pricetag for elite goalies, especially if no one is even close to replacing him. IF Thomas would still be there, they would have had some leverage but like I said Rask knew Boston had to pay him.

It's a risk, but Rask has looked very consistently elite for several years now, and I also think the goaltending pool as a whole is SO much deeper than it used to be. I'm not sure if that's an argument for or against huge deals for goaltenders, but think back to 15 years ago and countries like Finland and the U.S. were notoriously bad at producing NHL goalies. Finland's youth programs are really paying off now, and the U.S. is arguably on par with Canada in producing quality goalies.

So yes, you can find more good goalies, and some of them are undervalued (Niemi comes to mind). But that also means that there should be more star goalies "worthy" of the large contract than there were in the mid-2000's.

People forget about how shaky Rask has been at times.

Even this playoff run he let in some bad goals due solely to a lack of focus.

His first chance at control of the net for the team, he gets blamed (media and fans not team) for the collapse to the flyers!

Guest The Axe

He did, he even laid his health on the line for the finals, but some prefer super soft smallish guys who back down to each their own I guess.

Brunner and Filppula