• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BottleOfSmoke

Smith files for arbitration

Rate this topic

Smith has an ego enough to do this after his play last season? LOL THESE KIDS ARE HILARIOUS

Could you explain why you believe that filing for arbitration means that he has a big ego? We don't know anything about the negotiations between Holland and Smith's agent to this point.

Could you explain why you believe that filing for arbitration means that he has a big ego? We don't know anything about the negotiations between Holland and Smith's agent to this point.

Perhaps because the Wings don't usually have to go to arbitration with their players.

Aside from Kyle Quincey last season, the previous Red Wing to take them to arbitration was Ray Sheppard in 1995. Sheppard was then dealt to San Jose in the Larionov deal, if memory serves correctly.

Since there seems to be lots of speculation on his value, anyone care to speculate what Smith might agree to or what he would be awarded if arbitration goes ahead?

On a side note: If the contracts for Smith, Nyquist and Andersson averaged about $1.1 million each, they would still be able to fit under the cap by demoting Samuelsson and Emmerton.

I`d rather see that happen instead of a buyout anyways, as DET could maintain some depth in event of injury -- assuming neither were claimed on waivers -- rather than pay someone not to play for them.

Guest The Axe

Christ. We missed another "How to get rid of Sammy" window? What is with these rules?

Perhaps because the Wings don't usually have to go to arbitration with their players.

Aside from Kyle Quincey last season, the previous Red Wing to take them to arbitration was Ray Sheppard in 1995. Sheppard was then dealt to San Jose in the Larionov deal, if memory serves correctly.

Hudler did it in 2009, which is why he had to play for us when he came back to the NHL.

Maybe he just wants to expedite the process of getting a contract completed. There's nothing to indicate he's asking for a ridiculous amount. I really don't see the "ego" angle to this.

Hudler did it in 2009, which is why he had to play for us when he came back to the NHL.

Filed for, didn't take them to arbitration.

Filppula also filed for arbitation after 08. Funny how some people have selective memories.

Filppula also filed for arbitation after 08. Funny how some people have selective memories.

Filed for, didn't get to arbitration.

Obviously there's still time for Smith to do the same.

Edited by stillwater

Filed for, didn't take them to arbitration.

Filed for, didn't get to arbitration.

Two things:

1. That's exactly the situation we're in with Smith. He hasn't reached his hearing yet either. So, given the current situation, both Hudler and Filppula would be valid to include in the discussion even IF you were right. Which brings me to point 2:

2. Hudler did in fact take them to arbitration. He got 5.75M over 2 years from the arbitrator.

Edited by Zetts

Jiri Hudler's arbitration hearing in 2009 was a unique situation. He had signed a contract with a Russian team, which the NHL initially claimed was invalid because he had filed for arbitration with the Red Wings. Hudler's hearing determined his salary should he return to the NHL and was just a formality, since he and the Red Wings had agreed to a figure before the case was heard by an arbiter.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/07/second-year_defenseman_brendan.html

Edited by stillwater

I`d consider Raphael Diaz a comparable to Smith in terms of experience, ice time and production when he went to arbitration. He had been making 900,000 (Smith makes 875,000) and was awarded 2.45 mil over two years.

Based on that I`d expect Smith would get 1.2 - 1.3 from an arbitrator, which seems like a fair and manageable amount, cap-wise. Hard to think they wouldn`t come to a deal before a hearing, if this is also what Smith is expecting.

As for all the smith hate (or disappointment), I'd like to use kindl as an example.. it took him a few years to adjust to the nhl and in some ways I'm sure he still is. Anyway, kindl won me over this year and I'm sure smith will too. It's not a make it or break it season for him just yet.

As for all the smith hate (or disappointment), I'd like to use kindl as an example.. it took him a few years to adjust to the nhl and in some ways I'm sure he still is. Anyway, kindl won me over this year and I'm sure smith will too. It's not a make it or break it season for him just yet.

I don't think anyone is saying it's "make it or break it", just that he stunk last year (in Torts' terms), and that he probably won't make much if he has an arbitration hearing. Obviously he's only going to get better.

This is good news actually. He will get valued for how he played (which wasn't great) and the Wings will likely get a fair deal.

I too expected a lot more from Smith this season, but I still have high hopes for him. It is extremely rare for any rookie Dman to come in and look good, and he was thrown into the worst Wings roster and D-corps they've had in 25 years.

I think as he gets more comfortable he will stop making the early Ericsson-esque mistakes that seem to be born out of a lack of confidence and fear of screwing up.

Right now, I just hope the priorities are in signing Nyquist.

Smith played half a season in the league and gets already written off, give him time. The guy never had the benefit of learning from an all-time-top 5 defenseman and like someone mentioned had to play on the worst Wings edition since almost two and a half decade.

I hope he gets around 1,2 - 1,5 very managable cap hit and enough time to prove his worth.

Pretty sure we never had anything to worry about in that department lol

Ya cause no teams want or need a young defenseman with a lot offensive potential. Oh sorry that's right he wasnt a superstar in his rookie year, I forgot. That automatically makes him terrible and we should forget he ever existed...

Guest The Axe

Ya cause no teams want or need a young defenseman with a lot offensive potential. Oh sorry that's right he wasnt a superstar in his rookie year, I forgot. That automatically makes him terrible and we should forget he ever existed...

LGW 101. If he isnt Larry Robinson from game 1 on, bash him.