• This topic is locked This topic is locked
96 replies to this topic

#21 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

Agreed. He just needs a couple years like most D-men do. Ericsson took 4-5 years to become a decent player.

Bingo! Some think he should be a superstar right now and that's just not the case right now.  I truly believe he'll get better once he gets MORE NHL experience.

#22 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

This could backfire on smith - he played poorly last season so he will likely get less than he may be hoping for. Babs will be unimpressed too I bet - could result in him taking a bit more heat for his mistakes. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#23 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

Smith has an ego enough to do this after his play last season? LOL

THESE KIDS ARE HILARIOUS

He may have been asked to file. Maybe Andersson or Nyquist are next. Did you see all the posts before yours?

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#24 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

I don't think this is going to bode well for Smitty. The guy had 8 assists and more penalty minutes than games played. He's gonna be locked in on the cheap!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#25 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

I never look at these cases negatively. He could have been asked to file by Holland for all we know.

#26 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

I don't think this is going to bode well for Smitty. The guy had 8 assists and more penalty minutes than games played. He's gonna be locked in on the cheap!

Oh darn  :lol:

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#27 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

Wasn't it Z who said re: Smith..."he creates a lot of chances. For both teams."

:lol:

Article calling him a "risk taker"

http://www.freep.com...nrik-zetterberg
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#28 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Smith has an ego enough to do this after his play last season? LOL THESE KIDS ARE HILARIOUS

Could you explain why you believe that filing for arbitration means that he has a big ego?  We don't know anything about the negotiations between Holland and Smith's agent to this point.

#29 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

Could you explain why you believe that filing for arbitration means that he has a big ego?  We don't know anything about the negotiations between Holland and Smith's agent to this point.

Perhaps because the Wings don't usually have to go to arbitration with their players.

Aside from Kyle Quincey last season, the previous Red Wing to take them to arbitration was Ray Sheppard in 1995. Sheppard was then dealt to San Jose in the Larionov deal, if memory serves correctly.

#30 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

I still think smith will be fine. I think dekeyser as his partner would be better than Quincey.

#31 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

Wonder what the chances are of him being traded are if they cannot come to an agreement
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#32 larionov_8

larionov_8

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

Since there seems to be lots of speculation on his value, anyone care to speculate what Smith might agree to or what he would be awarded if arbitration goes ahead?

On a side note: If the contracts for Smith, Nyquist and Andersson averaged about $1.1 million each, they would still be able to fit under the cap by demoting Samuelsson and Emmerton. 

I`d rather see that happen instead of a buyout anyways, as DET could maintain some depth in event of injury -- assuming neither were claimed on waivers -- rather than pay someone not to play for them.   

#33 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

Christ. We missed another "How to get rid of Sammy" window? What is with these rules?

#34 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

Perhaps because the Wings don't usually have to go to arbitration with their players.

Aside from Kyle Quincey last season, the previous Red Wing to take them to arbitration was Ray Sheppard in 1995. Sheppard was then dealt to San Jose in the Larionov deal, if memory serves correctly.

Hudler did it in 2009, which is why he had to play for us when he came back to the NHL.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#35 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

Hudler did it in 2009, which is why he had to play for us when he came back to the NHL.

Filppula also filed for arbitation after 08.  Funny how some people have selective memories.

Posted Image

#36 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

Maybe he just wants to expedite the process of getting a contract completed.  There's nothing to indicate he's asking for a ridiculous amount.  I really don't see the "ego" angle to this.

#37 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

Smith has an ego enough to do this after his play last season? LOL THESE KIDS ARE HILARIOUS

Yes 31 players who filed today have big ego's.  Arbitration is a tool used to get contract negotiations going.  But carry on talking about something you have no clue about.

Posted Image

#38 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

Filed for, didn't take them to arbitration.

Filppula also filed for arbitation after 08.  Funny how some people have selective memories.

Filed for, didn't get to arbitration.

Obviously there's still time for Smith to do the same.

Edited by stillwater, 10 July 2013 - 09:11 PM.

#39 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

Filed for, didn't take them to arbitration.

Filed for, didn't get to arbitration.

Two things:

1. That's exactly the situation we're in with Smith.  He hasn't reached his hearing yet either.  So, given the current situation, both Hudler and Filppula would be valid to include in the discussion even IF you were right.  Which brings me to point 2:

2.  Hudler did in fact take them to arbitration.  He got 5.75M over 2 years from the arbitrator.

Edited by Zetts, 10 July 2013 - 09:13 PM.

#40 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

Jiri Hudler's arbitration hearing in 2009 was a unique situation. He had signed a contract with a Russian team, which the NHL initially claimed was invalid because he had filed for arbitration with the Red Wings. Hudler's hearing determined his salary should he return to the NHL and was just a formality, since he and the Red Wings had agreed to a figure before the case was heard by an arbiter.

http://www.mlive.com...an_brendan.html

Edited by stillwater, 10 July 2013 - 09:24 PM.