• This topic is locked This topic is locked
96 replies to this topic

#41 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

It will take awhile before it's reviewed and determined. I'm sure an agreement will be met before that happens.

#42 larionov_8

larionov_8

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

I`d consider Raphael Diaz a comparable to Smith in terms of experience, ice time and production when he went to arbitration. He had been making 900,000 (Smith makes 875,000) and was awarded 2.45 mil over two years.

Based on that I`d expect Smith would get 1.2 - 1.3 from an arbitrator, which seems like a fair and manageable amount, cap-wise. Hard to think they wouldn`t come to a deal before a hearing, if this is also what Smith is expecting.

#43 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

As for all the smith hate (or disappointment), I'd like to use kindl as an example.. it took him a few years to adjust to the nhl and in some ways I'm sure he still is. Anyway, kindl won me over this year and I'm sure smith will too. It's not a make it or break it season for him just yet.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#44 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

The good thing about him filing, is it precludes teams from going after him with an offer sheet.

#45 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:46 PM

As for all the smith hate (or disappointment), I'd like to use kindl as an example.. it took him a few years to adjust to the nhl and in some ways I'm sure he still is. Anyway, kindl won me over this year and I'm sure smith will too. It's not a make it or break it season for him just yet.

I don't think anyone is saying it's "make it or break it", just that he stunk last year (in Torts' terms), and that he probably won't make much if he has an arbitration hearing.  Obviously he's only going to get better. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#46 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

The good thing about him filing, is it precludes teams from going after him with an offer sheet.

Pretty sure we never had anything to worry about in that department lol

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#47 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:24 AM

This is good news actually. He will get valued for how he played (which wasn't great) and the Wings will likely get a fair deal. 

I too expected a lot more from Smith this season, but I still have high hopes for him. It is extremely rare for any rookie Dman to come in and look good, and he was thrown into the worst Wings roster and D-corps they've had in 25 years.

I think as he gets more comfortable he will stop making the early Ericsson-esque mistakes that seem to be born out of a lack of confidence and fear of screwing up.

Right now, I just hope the priorities are in signing Nyquist. 

Posted Image

#48 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:55 AM

Smith played half a season in the league and gets already written off, give him time. The guy never had the benefit of learning from an all-time-top 5 defenseman and like someone mentioned had to play on the worst Wings edition since almost two and a half decade. I hope he gets around 1,2 - 1,5 very managable cap hit and enough time to prove his worth.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#49 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

Pretty sure we never had anything to worry about in that department lol

Ya cause no teams want or need a young defenseman with a lot offensive potential. Oh sorry that's right he wasnt a superstar in his rookie year, I forgot. That automatically makes him terrible and we should forget he ever existed...

#50 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

Ya cause no teams want or need a young defenseman with a lot offensive potential. Oh sorry that's right he wasnt a superstar in his rookie year, I forgot. That automatically makes him terrible and we should forget he ever existed...

LGW 101. If he isnt Larry Robinson from game 1 on, bash him.
  • Nev likes this

#51 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

Thank you.  I was hoping this hadn't also changed in the new CBA.  There are too many things for me to keep track of as it is.

Smith will develop.  I'm not jumping on the He's-the-next-big-thing bandwagon, but I'm certainly not ready to write him off either.

Given that he only had a part of a season, they might just want the extra time to figure out what he is worth and how many years to give it to him.  He's young, so he might not want really long-term so that he can go out and kick some butt and get himself a bigger contract sooner, or he might just be willing to take a lower number for job security (such as it is in the contract world).

We need to hang on to these d-men or we'll have to use some of our forward surplus on defense.

Hey..... Sammy plays the point on the PP...  maybe in a pinch...

#52 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Because he played terrible during that 1/2 season.  You could say the same thing about Dekeyser, only he played even fewer games.  You know what the difference is?  One of them didn't make several boneheaded mistakes each game, while failing to live up to the one thing that got them to the NHL in the first place.  Brendan Smith was awful, defensively (which I don't care about as much because it was always a given that he'd need to improve there) AND offensively (which is a worse sin since he was supposedly an offensive defenseman).

I'm sure he'll improve.  But you can't whitewash the truth.  Yes he was a rookie, so is every player at one time or another.  But not every rookie sucks doorknobs. 

27b.gif

Rookie Smith reminds me of rookie Kronwall.  Don't forget how many moronic defensive plays and ill-advised pinches Kroner made as a young d-man.

Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#53 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

I see people are comparing Smith to DeKeyser.  They are totally different types of players. DD is a defensive stay at home defenseman.  Smith is an offensive defenseman.  He jumps up into the play alot and this on occasion has caught him out of position.

We need both types of D men.  Unfortunately, it is a lot harder to be an offensive D man.  Smith will be fine.  It just takes some experience.

Do or do not. There is no try

#54 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,021 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

So as prospects are guys aren't worth trading for practically anyone, but one actually plays half a season and people suddenly talk about him like he's hopeless.  

As I've said before, Smith essentially got thrown in the deep end as the #3 guy in the playoffs.  If he got protected ice time like Kindl and Ericsson did as rookies (and Kindl still does), he would've looked much different. 

#55 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

I'm pretty sure that in 3-4 years, a possible Smith-DeKeyser pairing is going to be the best one on the team. They're going to compliment each other very well.

#56 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

27b.gif

Rookie Smith reminds me of rookie Kronwall.  Don't forget how many moronic defensive plays and ill-advised pinches Kroner made as a young d-man.

I'm definitely not forgetting, and as I've stated over, and over, and over again...he's going to get better and I'm glad he's on the team.  I'm just sick to death of people who either make excuses for him, or whitewash the fact that he didn't play very well.  He played like a boneheaded rookie, he'll get paid based on that, and one day down the line he won't play that way anymore (which is a good thing). 

I'm not against Smith, I just make no illusions about his play thus far.

That's about the 2,000,000th time I've said that.  In the future it might do you some good to read the posts previous to yours.  In this case, the one where I responded to Amato and said the exact same thing that I'm saying to you now.  Then you wouldn't have to take all that time to find snarky little gifs to make a point I'd agreed to months ago. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#57 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

As much I definitely hated Smith's play in the postseason (which I contend was some of the worst defensive play on the Wings this side of Derian Hatcher), this is a totally fair comment.  I think the adjustment period on Kindl is still happening, and much like Ericsson's contract was lampooned here when signed (present company included), $2.4 AAV for Kindl could look like an absolute steal if he continues the way he played from April on.  Kindl was never as bad as Smith looked this spring, but you certainly skills in Smith's game that make you think he could be a good puck moving D-man, and at least a passable defender.

As the other poster noted above, too, arbitration with Smith might not be such a bad thing.  He didn't have any stellar offensive numbers, and he managed to be on the ice for virtually every Anaheim goal.  It's kind of similar to evaluating Brunner for a long-term deal, except you could make an argument that Brunner has already displayed his peak value in the NHL.  I don't think there's any possible way Smith could view his recent play as demonstrative of his value, and the Wings probably shouldn't be committing to him for more than a year unless he plays better.

Edited by StormJH1, 11 July 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#58 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

I see people are comparing Smith to DeKeyser.  They are totally different types of players. DD is a defensive stay at home defenseman.  Smith is an offensive defenseman.  He jumps up into the play alot and this on occasion has caught him out of position.

We need both types of D men.  Unfortunately, it is a lot harder to be an offensive D man.  Smith will be fine.  It just takes some experience.

I think the biggest issue with Smith last year was that he was paired with an offensive defenseman, I think Smith and Dekeyser would be an awesome pairing and help the both of them very much.

Dekeyser is so smooth, his outlet passes are great, 

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#59 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

So as prospects are guys aren't worth trading for practically anyone, but one actually plays half a season and people suddenly talk about him like he's hopeless.  

As I've said before, Smith essentially got thrown in the deep end as the #3 guy in the playoffs.  If he got protected ice time like Kindl and Ericsson did as rookies (and Kindl still does), he would've looked much different. 

Agreed. And we are all using his performance in 14 playoff games against 2 of the 3 top teams as a measuring stick. The whole team struggled. Chicago and Anaheim ate good.

#60 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

Who said he was hopeless?  I hadn't read that...anywhere.