• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BottleOfSmoke

Smith files for arbitration

Rate this topic

The good thing about him filing, is it precludes teams from going after him with an offer sheet.

Thank you. I was hoping this hadn't also changed in the new CBA. There are too many things for me to keep track of as it is.

Smith will develop. I'm not jumping on the He's-the-next-big-thing bandwagon, but I'm certainly not ready to write him off either.

Given that he only had a part of a season, they might just want the extra time to figure out what he is worth and how many years to give it to him. He's young, so he might not want really long-term so that he can go out and kick some butt and get himself a bigger contract sooner, or he might just be willing to take a lower number for job security (such as it is in the contract world).

We need to hang on to these d-men or we'll have to use some of our forward surplus on defense.

Hey..... Sammy plays the point on the PP... maybe in a pinch...

Because he played terrible during that 1/2 season. You could say the same thing about Dekeyser, only he played even fewer games. You know what the difference is? One of them didn't make several boneheaded mistakes each game, while failing to live up to the one thing that got them to the NHL in the first place. Brendan Smith was awful, defensively (which I don't care about as much because it was always a given that he'd need to improve there) AND offensively (which is a worse sin since he was supposedly an offensive defenseman).

I'm sure he'll improve. But you can't whitewash the truth. Yes he was a rookie, so is every player at one time or another. But not every rookie sucks doorknobs.

27b.gif

Rookie Smith reminds me of rookie Kronwall. Don't forget how many moronic defensive plays and ill-advised pinches Kroner made as a young d-man.

I see people are comparing Smith to DeKeyser. They are totally different types of players. DD is a defensive stay at home defenseman. Smith is an offensive defenseman. He jumps up into the play alot and this on occasion has caught him out of position.

We need both types of D men. Unfortunately, it is a lot harder to be an offensive D man. Smith will be fine. It just takes some experience.

So as prospects are guys aren't worth trading for practically anyone, but one actually plays half a season and people suddenly talk about him like he's hopeless.

As I've said before, Smith essentially got thrown in the deep end as the #3 guy in the playoffs. If he got protected ice time like Kindl and Ericsson did as rookies (and Kindl still does), he would've looked much different.

27b.gif

Rookie Smith reminds me of rookie Kronwall. Don't forget how many moronic defensive plays and ill-advised pinches Kroner made as a young d-man.

I'm definitely not forgetting, and as I've stated over, and over, and over again...he's going to get better and I'm glad he's on the team. I'm just sick to death of people who either make excuses for him, or whitewash the fact that he didn't play very well. He played like a boneheaded rookie, he'll get paid based on that, and one day down the line he won't play that way anymore (which is a good thing).

I'm not against Smith, I just make no illusions about his play thus far.

That's about the 2,000,000th time I've said that. In the future it might do you some good to read the posts previous to yours. In this case, the one where I responded to Amato and said the exact same thing that I'm saying to you now. Then you wouldn't have to take all that time to find snarky little gifs to make a point I'd agreed to months ago.

As for all the smith hate (or disappointment), I'd like to use kindl as an example.. it took him a few years to adjust to the nhl and in some ways I'm sure he still is. Anyway, kindl won me over this year and I'm sure smith will too. It's not a make it or break it season for him just yet.

As much I definitely hated Smith's play in the postseason (which I contend was some of the worst defensive play on the Wings this side of Derian Hatcher), this is a totally fair comment. I think the adjustment period on Kindl is still happening, and much like Ericsson's contract was lampooned here when signed (present company included), $2.4 AAV for Kindl could look like an absolute steal if he continues the way he played from April on. Kindl was never as bad as Smith looked this spring, but you certainly skills in Smith's game that make you think he could be a good puck moving D-man, and at least a passable defender.

As the other poster noted above, too, arbitration with Smith might not be such a bad thing. He didn't have any stellar offensive numbers, and he managed to be on the ice for virtually every Anaheim goal. It's kind of similar to evaluating Brunner for a long-term deal, except you could make an argument that Brunner has already displayed his peak value in the NHL. I don't think there's any possible way Smith could view his recent play as demonstrative of his value, and the Wings probably shouldn't be committing to him for more than a year unless he plays better.

Edited by StormJH1

I see people are comparing Smith to DeKeyser. They are totally different types of players. DD is a defensive stay at home defenseman. Smith is an offensive defenseman. He jumps up into the play alot and this on occasion has caught him out of position.

We need both types of D men. Unfortunately, it is a lot harder to be an offensive D man. Smith will be fine. It just takes some experience.

I think the biggest issue with Smith last year was that he was paired with an offensive defenseman, I think Smith and Dekeyser would be an awesome pairing and help the both of them very much.

Dekeyser is so smooth, his outlet passes are great,

Guest The Axe

So as prospects are guys aren't worth trading for practically anyone, but one actually plays half a season and people suddenly talk about him like he's hopeless.

As I've said before, Smith essentially got thrown in the deep end as the #3 guy in the playoffs. If he got protected ice time like Kindl and Ericsson did as rookies (and Kindl still does), he would've looked much different.

Agreed. And we are all using his performance in 14 playoff games against 2 of the 3 top teams as a measuring stick. The whole team struggled. Chicago and Anaheim ate good.

Who said he was hopeless? I hadn't read that...anywhere.

I'm definitely not forgetting, and as I've stated over, and over, and over again...he's going to get better and I'm glad he's on the team. I'm just sick to death of people who either make excuses for him, or whitewash the fact that he didn't play very well. He played like a boneheaded rookie, he'll get paid based on that, and one day down the line he won't play that way anymore (which is a good thing).

I'm not against Smith, I just make no illusions about his play thus far.

That's about the 2,000,000th time I've said that. In the future it might do you some good to read the posts previous to yours. In this case, the one where I responded to Amato and said the exact same thing that I'm saying to you now. Then you wouldn't have to take all that time to find snarky little gifs to make a point I'd agreed to months ago.

Gifs are fun.

Are you talking about when Kronner was actually a rookie, or last year?

Who said he was hopeless? I hadn't read that...anywhere.

I actually said "people talk about him like he's hopeless," which isn't the same as "someone said he was hopeless."

But his play was described as "indifferent" which several people agreed with. Then there was talk of him having a big ego. You alluded to him "sucking doorknobs."

None of which makes sense to me. He was a rookie trying to play big minutes in key situations and his inexperience showed. Inconsistent, absolutely. Indifferent? No.

He also had more playoff points than Kronwall and as many as Kindl in spite of no PP time. It's not like he was the only one who fell short offensively.

I actually said "people talk about him like he's hopeless," which isn't the same as "someone said he was hopeless."

But his play was described as "indifferent" which several people agreed with. Then there was talk of him having a big ego. You alluded to him "sucking doorknobs."

None of which makes sense to me. He was a rookie trying to play big minutes in key situations and his inexperience showed. Inconsistent, absolutely. Indifferent? No.

I agree if anything I think he was in over his head trying to learn the NHL game while playing big minutes, I think he was trying too hard.

Indifferent, no way in hell!

Harold is correct in that the rookie D where protected and not exposed as much... Smith was thrown into a "baptism by fire" situation...

Give him a few yrs to adjust and he will be just like Kronner or better....

Now if he can have more discipline and not take stupid penalties...

Guest The Axe

Harold is correct in that the rookie D where protected and not exposed as much... Smith was thrown into a "baptism by fire" situation...

Give him a few yrs to adjust and he will be just like Kronner or better....

Now if he can have more discipline and not take stupid penalties...

I like this post.

Guest The Axe

You tap on the post and one of the options is to Like it. I just liked your post using tapatalk.

I have check marks. Is that the same thing?

Guest The Axe

no. look for the x and click that one ;)

There are no x's. Ok, I will just let people know the old fashioned way. Thanks anyways, Euro. I like the fact that you tried to help.

He also had more playoff points than Kronwall and as many as Kindl in spite of no PP time. It's not like he was the only one who fell short offensively.

I didn't allude to the fact that Smith "sucked doorknobs", I explicitly said it lol. Just like I've explicitly said over and over and over that he'll eventually get better, but that he wasn't very good last year. The problem that I have with your first post is that you constructed a straw man, and then responded to that. "Hopeless" seems to suggest that Smith's detractors think he'll never get better. Pretty much everybody that calls him out for his play last season also admits that he's only going to get better.

I'm beyond debating with you about Smith's performance. We've talked about it enough. But it genuinely hampers discussion when you can't say a single negative thing about him without someone (in this case you and a lot of others) suggesting that you think he's hopeless, or want him traded, or hate him, etc. etc. etc.. Nobody thinks any of that. However I do think that a guy who was as heavily hyped as he was should probably have been better than 0 goals and 8 assists in the regular season (in addition to his obviously poor defense though I don't really hold that against him since he was an offensive defenseman to begin with). Furthermore, when he didn't give a better performance than that, I don't think it's a faux pas to say that he wasn't very good without immediately being rejected by those intent on putting words in your mouth.

Edit: Or more simply, just answer these two questions...

Given what was expected, did Brendan Smith have a good season? (I answer no).

Will he get better? (I answer yes).

If you answered the first one differently than I did, then we've reached the root of the problem.

Edited by kipwinger