• This topic is locked This topic is locked
96 replies to this topic

#61 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

I'm definitely not forgetting, and as I've stated over, and over, and over again...he's going to get better and I'm glad he's on the team.  I'm just sick to death of people who either make excuses for him, or whitewash the fact that he didn't play very well.  He played like a boneheaded rookie, he'll get paid based on that, and one day down the line he won't play that way anymore (which is a good thing). 

I'm not against Smith, I just make no illusions about his play thus far.

That's about the 2,000,000th time I've said that.  In the future it might do you some good to read the posts previous to yours.  In this case, the one where I responded to Amato and said the exact same thing that I'm saying to you now.  Then you wouldn't have to take all that time to find snarky little gifs to make a point I'd agreed to months ago. 

Gifs are fun. 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#62 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

Rookie Smith reminds me of rookie Kronwall.  Don't forget how many moronic defensive plays and ill-advised pinches Kroner made as a young d-man.

Are you talking about when Kronner was actually a rookie, or last year?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#63 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

Who said he was hopeless?  I hadn't read that...anywhere.

I actually said "people talk about him like he's hopeless," which isn't the same as "someone said he was hopeless."

But his play was described as "indifferent" which several people agreed with.  Then there was talk of him having a big ego.  You alluded to him "sucking doorknobs."

None of which makes sense to me.  He was a rookie trying to play big minutes in key situations and his inexperience showed.  Inconsistent, absolutely.  Indifferent?  No.

He also had more playoff points than Kronwall and as many as Kindl in spite of no PP time.  It's not like he was the only one who fell short offensively.

#64 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

I actually said "people talk about him like he's hopeless," which isn't the same as "someone said he was hopeless."

But his play was described as "indifferent" which several people agreed with.  Then there was talk of him having a big ego.  You alluded to him "sucking doorknobs."

None of which makes sense to me.  He was a rookie trying to play big minutes in key situations and his inexperience showed.  Inconsistent, absolutely.  Indifferent?  No.

I agree if anything I think he was in over his head trying to learn the NHL game while playing big minutes, I think he was trying too hard.

Indifferent, no way in hell!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#65 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,302 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

Harold is correct in that the rookie D where protected and not exposed as much... Smith was thrown into a "baptism by fire" situation...

Give him a few yrs to adjust and he will be just like Kronner or better....

Now if he can have more discipline and not take stupid penalties...
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#66 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

Harold is correct in that the rookie D where protected and not exposed as much... Smith was thrown into a "baptism by fire" situation...

Give him a few yrs to adjust and he will be just like Kronner or better....

Now if he can have more discipline and not take stupid penalties...

I like this post.

#67 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

I like this post.

There's a little green button named "Like This" you can click on each post to express exactly that, which also keeps the thread from being filled with posts by people saying they like other posts. 

#68 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

I like this post.

There's a little green button named "Like This" you can click on each post to express exactly that, which also keeps the thread from being filled with posts by people saying they like other posts. 

Not if you use tapatalk.

Btw I like this post.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#69 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

Not if you use tapatalk.

Btw I like this post.

You tap on the post and one of the options is to Like it. I just liked your post using tapatalk.

#70 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

Oh yeah... RWC doesn't do that

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#71 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

You tap on the post and one of the options is to Like it. I just liked your post using tapatalk.

I have check marks. Is that the same thing?

#72 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

I have check marks. Is that the same thing?

no. look for the x and click  that one ;)

#73 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

This is likable

#74 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

There are no x's. Ok, I will just let people know the old fashioned way. Thanks anyways, Euro. I like the fact that you tried to help.

#75 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

He also had more playoff points than Kronwall and as many as Kindl in spite of no PP time.  It's not like he was the only one who fell short offensively.

I didn't allude to the fact that Smith "sucked doorknobs", I explicitly said it lol.  Just like I've explicitly said over and over and over that he'll eventually get better, but that he wasn't very good last year.  The problem that I have with your first post is that you constructed a straw man, and then responded to that.  "Hopeless" seems to suggest that Smith's detractors think he'll never get better.  Pretty much everybody that calls him out for his play last season also admits that he's only going to get better. 

I'm beyond debating with you about Smith's performance.  We've talked about it enough.  But it genuinely hampers discussion when you can't say a single negative thing about him without someone (in this case you and a lot of others) suggesting that you think he's hopeless, or want him traded, or hate him, etc. etc. etc..  Nobody thinks any of that.  However I do think that a guy who was as heavily hyped as he was should probably have been better than 0 goals and 8 assists in the regular season (in addition to his obviously poor defense though I don't really hold that against him since he was an offensive defenseman to begin with).  Furthermore, when he didn't give a better performance than that, I don't think it's a faux pas to say that he wasn't very good without immediately being rejected by those intent on putting words in your mouth. 

Edit:  Or more simply, just answer these two questions...

Given what was expected, did Brendan Smith have a good season?  (I answer no).

Will he get better?  (I answer yes). 

If you answered the first one differently than I did, then we've reached the root of the problem. 

Edited by kipwinger, 11 July 2013 - 10:30 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#76 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

will smith get better? yes. he can't possibly play any worse than he did last year.

the bigger question is how much better he will get

#77 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

I didn't allude to the fact that Smith "sucked doorknobs", I explicitly said it lol.  Just like I've explicitly said over and over and over that he'll eventually get better, but that he wasn't very good last year.  The problem that I have with your first post is that you constructed a straw man, and then responded to that.  "Hopeless" seems to suggest that Smith's detractors think he'll never get better.  Pretty much everybody that calls him out for his play last season also admits that he's only going to get better. 

I'm beyond debating with you about Smith's performance.  We've talked about it enough.  But it genuinely hampers discussion when you can't say a single negative thing about him without someone (in this case you and a lot of others) suggesting that you think he's hopeless, or want him traded, or hate him, etc. etc. etc..  Nobody thinks any of that.  However I do think that a guy who was as heavily hyped as he was should probably have been better than 0 goals and 8 assists in the regular season (in addition to his obviously poor defense though I don't really hold that against him since he was an offensive defenseman to begin with).  Furthermore, when he didn't give a better performance than that, I don't think it's a faux pas to say that he wasn't very good without immediately being rejected by those intent on putting words in your mouth. 

If you answered the first one differently than I did, then we've reached the root of the problem. 

I think u guys are thinking similarly, but not verbalizing it. Everyone wants to see Smith turn into Leech. But its gonna take time.

#78 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:06 AM

I don't think our views are that different.  And I'm not really one to quash criticism of a player here.  Though sometimes it starts to snowball and goes beyond what a player actually does on the ice (see Cleary. before that Ericsson)

I don't really know how much he was hyped other than here because I don't follow prospects that closely.  But frankly most of them seem overly hyped here.  They're awesome before they ever wear the winged wheel, then if they don't set the world on fire it doesn't take much for the goodwill to turn. 

So I'd answer your questions this way:

Did Smith have a good season? Not really

Did he suck doorknobs? Not really.

People have been wanting the rookies to play (myself included).  The thing is, sometimes when they do they look like rookies. 

#79 swedishconnection

swedishconnection

Conn Smythe - as predicted since 2006

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

Smith played half a season in the league and gets already written off, give him time. The guy never had the benefit of learning from an all-time-top 5 defenseman and like someone mentioned had to play on the worst Wings edition since almost two and a half decade.

I hope he gets around 1,2 - 1,5 very managable cap hit and enough time to prove his worth.

I dont think anyone was "writing him off." A lot of us found ourselves yelling "dammit, Smith" more often than any other player this season. He simply made a consistent amount of poor choices when other options were available. The good news is that he will improve with experience, and I think a lot of us who are critical of his play hope that he does. I was expecting him to stumble a bit, just as I expect any rookie to struggle.

My general allowance is as follows:

1) Wingers: you get 2 full NHL seasons to show results (offensive numbers or defensive ability)

2) Centers: Tough job here. You get an additional season [3 total] to show results (faceoffs are scrutinized more and more each season)

3) Defense: Learning how to handle NHL forwards is formidable. I give 4 complete NHL seasons prior to ultimate critiquage. In Smith's case, he gets 3 more to show what he can do before I start calling for an inquiry.

4) Goalies: you have a screw loose. 5 seasons just because you control the least amount of the game, and may have a lackluster squad in front of you. Also- you are the craziest people on the roster and I usually cant figure you out.
Mickey is one of the only colour commentators I've heard that gets angry when his team gets a powerplay as a result of a crap call from an official.

-Hockeytown0001

#80 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

I dont think anyone was "writing him off." A lot of us found ourselves yelling "dammit, Smith" more often than any other player this season. He simply made a consistent amount of poor choices when other options were available. The good news is that he will improve with experience, and I think a lot of us who are critical of his play hope that he does. I was expecting him to stumble a bit, just as I expect any rookie to struggle.

My general allowance is as follows:

1) Wingers: you get 2 full NHL seasons to show results (offensive numbers or defensive ability)

2) Centers: Tough job here. You get an additional season [3 total] to show results (faceoffs are scrutinized more and more each season)

3) Defense: Learning how to handle NHL forwards is formidable. I give 4 complete NHL seasons prior to ultimate critiquage. In Smith's case, he gets 3 more to show what he can do before I start calling for an inquiry.

4) Goalies: you have a screw loose. 5 seasons just because you control the least amount of the game, and may have a lackluster squad in front of you. Also- you are the craziest people on the roster and I usually cant figure you out.

Standard LGW protocol = 1-5 GAMES. What's this "year" unit of time you speak of? ;-)

Im with you.