• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

Ilya Kovalchuk announces retirement

Rate this topic

Per @NHLDevilsPR (The NJD communications department twitter feed)...

BREAKING: Ilya Kovalchuk has announced his retirement.

Looks like the Devils won't get hit too hard with his "recapture" penalty for retirement, according to CapGeek. $250k/year, which isn't too bad. But it's until 2024/2025... :blink:

This is probably more positive than negative for NJ.

I think he's going back to Russia. On TSN it says he retired from the NHL, not all of hockey.

Edited by Dave

Due to the new CBA I believe they have to eat that salary.

WOW what s***ty timing.

I wonder if he gave them a heads up about this?

I would think if they new he would have been a compliance buy out!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427507

"After many conversations with Ilya over the past year on his desire to retire from the National Hockey League, Ilya's decision became official today," said general manager Lou Lamoriello in a statement.

"On behalf of the entire organization, I wish Ilya and his family all the best in their future endeavors."

Sounds like he is off to KHL.

What does this mean for the Devs financially?

I updated my original post. Unless I did the calculator wrong (or am reading it wrong, which is certainly possible), it's a $250k/year hit until 2024/2025.

So Kovalchuk costs the Devils a $3 million fine, a loss of a first round draft pick and a third round pick just to get him re-signed, and then rewards them with a lengthy cap hit when he decides it's time to go back to Mother Russia.

Yea Capgeek has it at 250K, which is almost negligible in the long term. When he retires they won't have to pay him anything so for a team that was not financially well off, this is probably best... but holy crap they are gonna suck. If people didn't watch the devils at all they wouldn't realize how much kovalchuk actually does and how valuable he actually is. Hard to really contemplate this in its totality at the moment.

Yea Capgeek has it at 250K, which is almost negligible in the long term. When he retires they won't have to pay him anything so for a team that was not financially well off, this is probably best... but holy crap they are gonna suck. If people didn't watch the devils at all they wouldn't realize how much kovalchuk actually does and how valuable he actually is. Hard to really contemplate this in its totality at the moment.

Seriously he played like 27 min a night. Double shifted all the time.

I updated my original post. Unless I did the calculator wrong (or am reading it wrong, which is certainly possible), it's a $250k/year hit until 2024/2025.

Well then that is not as bad as I would have thought.

What if he pulls a Hudler and wants back in two years?

I know a weird question, but can he come back as a free agent while NJD pays him until 2025?

Guest The Axe

So Kovalchuk costs the Devils a $3 million fine, a loss of a first round draft pick just to get him re-signed, and then rewards them with a lengthy cap hit when he decides it's time to go back to Mother Russia.

Thanks bro. I dont feel as much animosity toward him now. Its mostly just positive animosity in that I wont get to watch his wicked shot any more.

I know a weird question, but can he come back as a free agent while NJD pays him until 2025?

No, if he were to return, he would still be contractually obligated to play for New Jersey.

Guest Crymson

Wow, what a class act; he really screwed over the Devils here. He cost them millions of dollars in fines, a first-round pick, and the chance to re-sign Parise, and now he jets almost a week after free agency began.

Edited by Crymson

Guest The Axe

Wow, what a class act; he really screwed over the Devils here. He cost them millions of dollars in fines, two high-round draft picks, and the chance to re-sign Parise, and now he jets almost a week after free agency began.

Lou wishes him the best, and then calls Luca.

NJ won't be paying him until then, they'll have a cap penalty. I would assume that if he were to decide to come back though, the NHL will consider his contract with the Devils still valid so he would not be a UFA.

NJ won't be paying him until then, they'll have a cap penalty. I would assume that if he were to decide to come back though, the NHL will consider his contract with the Devils still valid so he would not be a UFA.

Good point, since he retired he will not be getting paid.

Brain fart on my part!

Guest Crymson

Lou wishes him the best, and then calls Luca.

Sadly for the Devils, it appears that he was murdered by Sollozzo some time ago.

Sadly for the Devils, it appears that he was murdered by Sollozzo some time ago.

Yep, The Turk is dead too, and so is the guy who killed him.

Meanwhile, I agree, bad timing on the part of Kovalchuk.

Edited by stillwater