• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

Ilya Kovalchuk announces retirement

Rate this topic

Read a twitter, maybe it was Wishinsky (sp) that said Kovy is in deep with the money men in the KHL and will probably make $50 Million over the next 5 years.

Don't cry over his 'lost' NHL money.

Would have made 56 million over the next five years in the nhl. 63 million over the next 6 years

Guest The Axe

Would have made 56 million over the next five years in the nhl. 63 million over the next 6 years

Tax free 50 in russia = 75 mil taxed in US.

All sides are to blame here not just Kovalchuk, the guy can make more in his home country and wants to be where his heart is. The NHL is pretty much getting a guaranteed lockout every X years, everytime the players are asked to give back and getting their contract rules more and more reduced. So I am not really surprised that some players are saying enough with that, I can play in front of friends, family and make more money - so screw you guys I am going to SKA Petersburgh

The players haven't forgotten the lockout and it shows, more and more Europeans will start going home after making a killing in the NHL employes a certain guy much longer, book it.

On the other hand this is just terrible terrible News for the New Jersey Devils, they've lost Zach Parise (for nothing), Clarkson (for nothing), a first round pick a Co-owner and now a sniper. Financially it might help them in the long term but shortterm this is just terrible, they might be looking at a top 5 pick if they don't do something drastically. Someone already mentioned, they are going to sign Grabovski no way in hell, you don't go from a lost Russian to another Russian with a questionable attitude who hit a girl for Christs sake he should be in prison, not on the ice.

Apparently, if he ever wants to return to the NHL, it would have to be approved by every team.

Where did you see that?

It hurts them on the ice, but financially this is the best thing that could happen to them. It frees up a bunch of cap space, and it saves them a crap ton of cash over the next few years, which they need. they can still get some decent players in free agency, and they didn't have the money to re-sign Clarkson for that kind of cash anyway.

Where did you see that?

It hurts them on the ice, but financially this is the best thing that could happen to them. It frees up a bunch of cap space, and it saves them a crap ton of cash over the next few years, which they need. they can still get some decent players in free agency, and they didn't have the money to re-sign Clarkson for that kind of cash anyway.

Clarkson made it clear, that his heart was in Toronto so the Devils had no chance of re-signing him.

Kovalchuk cost them millions in fines and a 1st round pick? Lamoriello and the owner, who structured the backdiving deal, had no part in it?

lou had a part in it, but it just shows how much kovie meant to their franchise. for him to bail on them now is a slap in the face to the devils

kovie can hide behind the family excuse all he wants but imo this comes down to money. he will probably get 15-20 million a year tax free in the khl. he will easily surpass his nhl contract money in a few years. He shouldn't have signed such a long term contract if he had concerns about being close to his family

All sides are to blame here not just Kovalchuk, the guy can make more in his home country and wants to be where his heart is. The NHL is pretty much getting a guaranteed lockout every X years, everytime the players are asked to give back and getting their contract rules more and more reduced. So I am not really surprised that some players are saying enough with that, I can play in front of friends, family and make more money - so screw you guys I am going to SKA Petersburgh

he shouldn't have come back to the nhl at all if that was his attitude.

lou had a part in it, but it just shows how much kovie meant to their franchise. for him to bail on them now is a slap in the face to the devils

kovie can hide behind the family excuse all he wants but imo this comes down to money. he will probably get 15-20 million a year tax free in the khl. he will easily surpass his nhl contract money in a few years. He shouldn't have signed such a long term contract if he had concerns about being close to his family

Agreed he made it clear, where his heart was he just should have told Lou and stayed there, so at least the Devils would have saved money to sign some free agents.

Guest Crymson

It's almost inexplicable that Lamiorello chose not to forfeit his 2012 1st-rounder despite it being #29 in a weak draft. Now he'll be forced to lose a first-rounder in a deep draft that the Devils will most likely be selecting fairly high in.

That guy gets too much credit.

It's almost inexplicable that Lamiorello chose not to forfeit his 2012 1st-rounder despite it being #29 in a weak draft. Now he'll be forced to lose a first-rounder in a deep draft that the Devils will most likely be selecting fairly high in.

That guy gets too much credit.

Yet Holland doesn't?

Lamoriello built that franchise from the ground up. He didn't just walk into a perfect situation with a bunch of Hall of Famers and yearly playoff success.

He's had a tougher time since Stevens and Niedermayer have retired and since Brodeur became an old goalie. However, those Stanley Cup rings are very deserved. No one is giving him "too much credit" for the last six or seven seasons. Just what he did before that.

Even though Kovalchuk beat up one of Cherry's "Canadian boys"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aywypSGFDwo

LOL is all I have to say to that.

Actually where does Kovy beat up one of Cherry's "boys" in that vid?

Surely that's "beating up one of Cherry's boy's" to you.

Another LOL

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

A part in it? He's the GM. He put together the deal. And losing the pick and getting fined is 100% on Lou. He runs the team. Not Kovalchuk.

And how is it hiding behind the family excuse? How could you possibly know his real motives? If I had to pick one, the more believable scenario, which is the one he described, is that in the lockout shortened season he realized how much he liked being back in Russia around family.

Overall this sounds like the a mutually beneficial decision. Kovaluchuk goes to Russia to be with family and play hockey there, Lou gets out of the terrible contract he gave him.

Kovalchuk is a great player but the franchise is now free of what was a potentially crippling contract under the lowered cap. I don't know what their current financial situation is but the Devils have had trouble paying their bills the last several seasons. They owed Kovalchuk over $11 million dollars a year for the next 4 years.

The guy left $77 million on the table. Sure he may eventually make that in the KHL but he had a guaranteed contract for that amount. That's a lot different than the potential earnings.

If anything I could see faulting him for the timing of the retirement. It's certainly going to leave a huge hole in their lineup. But in the long term walking away from his contract could be the best thing that happened to the Devils.

LOL is all say to that.

Actually where does Kovy beat up one of Cherry's "boys" in that vid?

Surely that's "beating up one of Cherry's boy's" to you.

Another LOL

LOL at yourself.

Don't you ever hear Cherry talk about how his Canadian boys play the game the right way, while those soft Euros shy away from contact?

I was just making fun of Cherry's BS. Didn't know I'd have to spell it out for someone.

LOL at yourself.

Don't you ever hear Cherry talk about how his Canadian boys play the game the right way, while those soft Euros shy away from contact?

I was just making fun of Cherry's BS. Didn't know I'd have to spell it out for someone.

It's funny that you point out that one specific incident as an example.

Holy crap one example.

That happens in the NHL ALL THE TIME.

But yeah you are showing Cherry what's up. lol

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)