• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

Ilya Kovalchuk announces retirement

Rate this topic

Matt that this couldn't have been predicted, but I called it.

New Jersey Devils reportedly interested in signing Detroit Red Wings free agent Damien Brunner

Brendan Savage | bsavage@mlive.com

Published: Jul 13, 2013 10:09:19 AM

Photo 1 of 1

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. Ilya Kovalchuk's retirement this week might have opened the door for Damien Brunner to join the New Jersey Devils.

Kovalchuk surprised many people around the NHL when he announced his retirement Thursday at age 30 with 12 years and $77 million remaining on his contract.

To help offset the offensive void created by his departure, the Devils could very well be targeting Brunner, according to Nicola Berger of the Swiss newspaper Neue Luzerner Zeitung. Brunner is an unrestricted free agent after spending his first NHL season with the Red Wings.

Berger covers EV Zug of the Swiss League, where Brunner played for five seasons. Before the NHL lockout ended this year, Brunner was leading the Swiss League in scoring and one of his EZ Zug teammates was Red Wings' captain Henrik Zetterberg, who helped persuade him to sign in Detroit.

"Also, @damienbrunner appears to be headed to the #NJDevils," Berger Tweeted today. "They're doing a lot of background work on him right now."

The Red Wings made Brunner contract offers of two and three years before free agency opened last week but he turned both down and general manager Ken Holland told MLive.com Friday that it appears as if Brunner's days in Detroit are done.

In 44 games with the Red Wings last season, Brunner had 12 goals and 14 assists. He was their leading goal scorer in the playoffs with five in 14 games while adding four assists to finished tied on the team's scoring chart with Pavel Datsyuk.

-- Download the Detroit Red Wings on MLive app for iPhone and Android

-- Like MLive's Detroit Red Wings Facebook page

source?

I realize you're probably doing the smart ass "source?" thing that seems to be replacing the "we like our team" comment that pops up in every thread, but here's your sources:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2013-07-11/ilya-kovlchuk-retirement-trade-nj-devils-atlanta-thrashers

http://www.sovsport.ru/blogs/blog/bmessage-item/14336

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/7/12/4517436/ilya-kovalchuk-retirement-devils-khl

He's reportedly going to sign for up to $20m a year. May or may not be tax free (I would be surprised if it ended up not being tax free) but at the very least taxes will be a hell of a lot less for him in Russia than in the US & there's no escrow held back by the KHL like the NHL does.

Edit: And for those of you who haven't been following this as closely, the rumor is that Kovy & SKA already had all of this worked out back in January as the lockout was ending.

Edited by ogreslayer

Guest Crymson

For those unfamiliar with the KHL, each team there is allowed one contract that does not count against the salary cap.

Guest DeGraa55

For those unfamiliar with the KHL, each team there is allowed one contract that does not count against the salary cap.

That's awesome i wish we had that. Especially if it can change each year. Could of had z on there and now DAT so we could have another good player.

Sergei, I love you--but go f*** yourself if you're on this s***...:

@RedWingsFeed: TMR: Good luck with that, Sergei: This has to be the dumbest thing I've read... http://t.co/L57b1nuADU via @KuklasKorner #NHL #RedWings

For starters, doesn't this seem like a pretty bad translation?

Fedorov: "As a manager,I would like to return (Datsyuk) for CSKA and Russa.This is not pomp. Pasha said he has a desire to come to the KHL."

this is not pomp? I would like to return for CSKA?

The journalist for The Star seems to have translated one quote himself, out of context, and uses the word coax while tweeting about it a couple times.

Depending on the translation and context, this could be Fedorov just saying he would like Datsyuk to return to the KHL. Which of course he would. Who wouldn't want Dats in their league? And Datsyuk has openly talked about playing in the KHL.

He's trying to insinuate that Fedorov is actively trying to lure players away from the NHL without providing anything to support that. Until there's some concrete evidence, no big deal.

Depending on the translation and context, this could be Fedorov just saying he would like Datsyuk to return to the KHL. Which of course he would. Who wouldn't want Dats in their league? And Datsyuk has openly talked about playing in the KHL.

He's trying to insinuate that Fedorov is actively trying to lure players away from the NHL without providing anything to support that. Until there's some concrete evidence, no big deal.

An interesting tidbit from an article about Kovalchuk in the New York Post. Blame Lockout for Kovalchuk Bolting Devils

On Jan. 4, the day before the marathon negotiating session commenced that would lead to settlement of the lockout in the wee hours of Jan. 6, the NHLPA dissuaded Kovalchuk, Alexander Ovechkin, Pavel Datsyuk and Evgeni Malkin from issuing a joint statement declaring their intent to remain in Russia for at least the remainder of the KHL season regardless of whether or when the NHL reopened.

Edited by MidMichSteve

If the lockout lasted the entire season, how many of you think that Datsyuk may not have signed on for 3 more years and would be right there with Kovy? At first, I thought Kovalchuk was out of his mind leaving the NHL as one of the best pure snipers of this generation, with over .50 goals per game over his 816 career regular season games, but then I thought to myself....lose Kovalchuk now from the NHL and maybe we see the next CBA expire without another lockout, cause the NHL will be afraid of losing more of their top players to leagues without lockouts or salary caps where you can play tax free. Maybe in the long run, something like this is the best thing for the NHL, cause Kovalchuk is NHL talent bringing his bag of tricks elsewhere.

Really tho....

"And after that[one year out of the nhl], if he tried to return within the next four years, he'd still need permission from his former employer, the New Jersey Devils."

Really wouldn't surprise me if they had something pre-arranged..

IF what his sister is true, it sure looks like a money grab on kovie's part. either that or he and devils had some secret backdoor handshake agreement so that the devils could get out of his contract.

Sergei, I love you--but go f*** yourself if you're on this s***...:

@RedWingsFeed: TMR: Good luck with that, Sergei: This has to be the dumbest thing I've read... http://t.co/L57b1nuADU via @KuklasKorner #NHL #RedWings

don't remember what article it was but at the time of datsyuk announcing his extension with the wings, he said that someone was intentionally spreading rumors about him going to the KHL

could very well be fedorov

I don't like someone being able to simply retire (i.e. get out of "x" year contract) and go sign another contract with a team in another league. I guess if NJ was against that happening they could block it.

There in lies the rub, loophole Lou strikes again, maybe?