• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

Ilya Kovalchuk announces retirement

Rate this topic

After he makes his KHL money, his sister is stating that he plans to return to the NHL.

A bunch of strange rules for 35+ contracts will allow this with no repercussions and no one have to approve it - neither the league, the BOG, not the Devils.

$77 Million dollar question - as a GM, would you?

Let's say he's still playing lights out hockey. Would you pull the trigger on him?

Linky

You know what? I'm glad he did it. Him and Lou too.

We lost a full season so that the league could get a cap and all of the stupid rules that went with it.

Then when Holland figured a way around it and signed Z to a long-term deal, I was worried that Z might have issues with his back, and everyone reassured me that it was ok because if Z retired, it would come off the books.

Those were the rules that Z signed the contract under. Retire and your team is off the hook.

Then we get another lockout, miss another half of a season, and all of a sudden... "OOPSIES! We don't like how people figured out how to get around that. We're going to change the rules. Now if the guy retires before the end, there's a penalty. So what if we're changing the rules in the middle of the game? We're the league and if you don't let us do this, we won't let you play hockey."

I can see them changing the rules for future contracts, but they have now changed the rules for existing ones. When teams and players sign contracts, they abide by the rules set by the league. If they find a loophole, we admire them for it. If you don't believe me, go back and find the thread where Z was signed. Kenny was a genius to the point of being a saint on this board.

Lou and Kovy played by the old rules and got the carpet yanked out from under them. Instead of crying over the lack of carpet, they went with linoleum. Good for them.

The league stuck out their tongue, and Lou and Kovy flipped them off. I feel some satisfaction knowing that Bettman is probably sitting in his office throwing a Rumplstiltskin-like tantrum yelling, "Curses! Foiled again!'

After he makes his KHL money, his sister is stating that he plans to return to the NHL.

A bunch of strange rules for 35+ contracts will allow this with no repercussions and no one have to approve it - neither the league, the BOG, not the Devils.

$77 Million dollar question - as a GM, would you?

Let's say he's still playing lights out hockey. Would you pull the trigger on him?

Linky

Assuming he's healthy in 4 or 5 years and returns, someone inevitably will sign him. He's too good to pass up. And it'd only be a deal for a few seasons at most anyway.

Assuming he's healthy in 4 or 5 years and returns, someone inevitably will sign him. He's too good to pass up. And it'd only be a deal for a few seasons at most anyway.

Could be quite a different player after 35 though....it's really hit and miss at that point. Probably more the norm to be in signficant decline at that point though.

I think with fewer games and larger ice surface (fewer hits) he has a better chance of staying healthy in KHL than in NHL. I do not think Kovalchuk has been injury-prone up to this point.

He'll probably sign 1 year deals with the best team at the time and chase a Cup....Hossa style!

He probably pulls a Niedermayer, comes back at the end of the season and joins the team with what looks like the best chance to win the cup.

He probably pulls a Niedermayer, comes back at the end of the season and joins the team with what looks like the best chance to win the cup.

The KHL season would have to end pretty early though. It would be funny if he joined the Wings and we won it. That would really crawl up the ass of 29 other fanbases :lol:

He'll probably sign 1 year deals with the best team at the time and chase a Cup....Hossa style!

Not if he plays in the KHL

Take this for what you will......
Translated -
"Money - is not important. Motivation is one - to win the Gagarin Cup. SKA has never sought, and I would like to be a pioneer in this. I have not forgotten about the Stanley Cup. This goal is. I'm only 30 years old, I have yet to come. The next four years I spend here, and then it will depend on me "- Kovalchuk said.
Edited by Hockeytown0001

My concern would be that he takes a dip. He isn't playing the elite level talent now so I see his skills potentially degrading faster.

Then again I could be wrong.

Could be quite a different player after 35 though....it's really hit and miss at that point. Probably more the norm to be in signficant decline at that point though.

Over/under on him "retiring" from the KHL and coming back to North America next year?

It depends on how his team does. If he does indeed win their cup, I can see him coming back for another crack at Stanley.

When cup contending teams r all chasing u I understand signing with the one who offers the most (NJ). And obviously that was a good choice as he almost won the cup with them. But then with losing Parise and then all their financial problems I'm guessing he sensed the ship was sinking. Now he gets to go chase the Gagarin cup in his home country, and can return to chase the Stanley again. Plus NJ and all there financial woes gets to shed that long contract

When cup contending teams r all chasing u I understand signing with the one who offers the most (NJ). And obviously that was a good choice as he almost won the cup with them. But then with losing Parise and then all their financial problems I'm guessing he sensed the ship was sinking. Now he gets to go chase the Gagarin cup in his home country, and can return to chase the Stanley again. Plus NJ and all there financial woes gets to shed that long contract

They sure weren't happy about losing his contract.

I think they're happy bout the contract, but not about the player

agreed. they're probably extremely happy to lose that god awful contract in the long run.

if they manage to make the playoffs this year, i'm sure they won't be upset about losing kovy at all.