• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#41 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

Wow, what a class act; he really screwed over the Devils here. He cost them millions of dollars in fines, a first-round pick, and the chance to re-sign Parise, and now he jets almost a week after free agency began.

Kovalchuk cost them millions in fines and a 1st round pick? Lamoriello and the owner, who structured the backdiving deal, had no part in it? 

Here's his statement on the Devils website (emphasis mine). Sounds like he's going back for family.

“This decision was something I have thought about for a long time going back to the lockout and spending the year in Russia. Though I decided to return this past season, Lou was aware of my desire to go back home and have my family there with me. The most difficult thing for me is to leave the New Jersey Devils, a great organization that I have a lot of respect for, and our fans that have been great to me.”

http://devils.nhl.co...s.htm?id=677775

Lou's statement:

After many conversations with Ilya over the past year on his desire to retire from the National Hockey League, Ilya’s decision became official today. On behalf of the entire organization, I wish Ilya and his family all the best in their future endeavors.

http://bleacherrepor...-11-year-career

#42 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

This really screwed the Devil's. Maybe they would've resigned Clarkson, or gone after a few of the other big-name free-agents.

There is something really screwy here.  

#43 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

Bob Mckenzie just tweeted that it voids his contract.  So what does that mean if he ever decides he wants to come back?

A few quick thoughts on Kovalchuk's "retirement" from NHL that voids his NHL contract but paves way for him to sign in KHL

1. Mutual (player and club agree) termination of an NHL contract not that unusual but usually involves lower-profile players.

2. If NJ had so chosen, it could've blocked Kovalchuk from the KHL by tolling contract. But NJ isn't doing that, he's free to go to KHL.

3. Kovalchuk doesn't get paid anything (by NJ) and Devils don't get cap hit other than a modest $250K/year penalty for each of next 12 years

4. NJ will miss Kovallchuk on ice in the short term but long-term gain is getting out from under long-term financial obligation.

Edited by Mitchmac33, 11 July 2013 - 04:06 PM.

#44 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

After somewhat recently losing their former captain in Parise, then losing a heart and soul player like Clarkson, now losing Kovy?? You can pretty much bank on them signing Grabovksi and probably Brunner as well. Cause not only do they need some players they now have extra $ to spend. I'll be shocked if they don't sign one (or 2) of the big names still out there by the end of this week

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#45 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

Apparently, if he ever wants to return to the NHL, it would have to be approved by every team.

I guess I'm just perplexed by how many media outlets are talking about how great this is for the Devils organization.  Great how?  Nobody put a gun to their head and made them give this guy that length of term...twice.  If you sign a contract that's so bad that you'd happily lose an elite player in his prime because you don't want to pay for him, you shouldn't have played high stakes poker to begin with.  That team now has terrible long-term contracts for both Zajac and Clowe (I liked the 2-yr deal for Ryder).  They have 10 million in cap room, but virtually nobody left to spend it on because Kovy did this now instead of two weeks ago. 

After somewhat recently losing their former captain in Parise, then losing a heart and soul player like Clarkson, now losing Kovy?? You can pretty much bank on them signing Grabovksi and probably Brunner as well. Cause not only do they need some players they now have extra $ to spend. I'll be shocked if they don't sign one (or 2) of the big names still out there by the end of this week

Right, except signing Grabovski and Brunner will probably approach the cap hit that Kovy had.  I'm not sure any rational Devils fan would rather have two mid-level players over one mega-star.  So now you have a less competitive team saddled with a greater number of mediocre contracts, instead of one huge contract for a guy who was one of the best scorers in the NHL.  If I'm a Devils fan, I'm PISSED.

Edited by StormJH1, 11 July 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#46 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

Poor zajac is stuck allll alone ha

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#47 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

Wow. He was gonna make a crap ton of money over the next few years too and he is only 30 right in his prime. Kind of a Dick no e by him

#48 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Don Cherry is going to have a field day with this.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#49 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

Anyone want to play for Jersey?  I hear they're looking for some power up front.

I just saw this when I came home from Saginaw.  Who'd of thunk it???

Edited by Kira, 11 July 2013 - 04:45 PM.

Posted Image

#50 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

Read a twitter, maybe it was Wishinsky (sp) that said Kovy is in deep with the money men in the KHL and will probably make $50 Million over the next 5 years.

Don't cry over his 'lost' NHL money.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#51 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

What I don't get is why didn't he do this before Free Agency when the Devils could have actually tried to replace him and use that $7mil? Seems like a dick move to wait this long.

Posted Image

#52 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

4. NJ will miss Kovalchuk on ice in the short term but long-term gain is getting out from under long-term financial obligation.

Pretty much this.

#53 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

Read a twitter, maybe it was Wishinsky (sp) that said Kovy is in deep with the money men in the KHL and will probably make $50 Million over the next 5 years.

Don't cry over his 'lost' NHL money.

Would have made 56 million over the next five years in the nhl. 63 million over the next 6 years

#54 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

Would have made 56 million over the next five years in the nhl. 63 million over the next 6 years

Tax free 50 in russia = 75 mil taxed in US.

#55 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

All sides are to blame here not just Kovalchuk, the guy can make more in his home country and wants to be where his heart is. The NHL is pretty much getting a guaranteed lockout every X years, everytime the players are asked to give back and getting their contract rules more and more reduced. So I am not really surprised that some players are saying enough with that, I can play in front of friends, family and make more money - so screw you guys I am going to SKA Petersburgh

The players haven't forgotten the lockout and it shows, more and more Europeans will start going home after making a killing in the NHL employes a certain guy much longer, book it.

On the other hand this is just terrible terrible News for the New Jersey Devils, they've lost Zach Parise (for nothing), Clarkson (for nothing), a first round pick a Co-owner and now a sniper. Financially it might help them in the long term but shortterm this is just terrible, they might be looking at a top 5 pick if they don't do something drastically. Someone already mentioned, they are going to sign Grabovski no way in hell, you don't go from a lost Russian to another Russian with a questionable attitude who hit a girl for Christs sake he should be in prison, not on the ice.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#56 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

Apparently, if he ever wants to return to the NHL, it would have to be approved by every team.

Where did you see that?

It hurts them on the ice, but financially this is the best thing that could happen to them.  It frees up a bunch of cap space, and it saves them a crap ton of cash over the next few years, which they need. they can still get some decent players in free agency, and they didn't have the money to re-sign Clarkson for that kind of cash anyway.  

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#57 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

Where did you see that?

It hurts them on the ice, but financially this is the best thing that could happen to them.  It frees up a bunch of cap space, and it saves them a crap ton of cash over the next few years, which they need. they can still get some decent players in free agency, and they didn't have the money to re-sign Clarkson for that kind of cash anyway.  

Clarkson made it clear, that his heart was in Toronto so the Devils had no chance of re-signing him.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#58 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

I think Dan Cleary should sign there for 4 million a year and become team captain, having so much "veteran leadship" and all.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#59 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

Kovalchuk cost them millions in fines and a 1st round pick? Lamoriello and the owner, who structured the backdiving deal, had no part in it?

lou had a part in it, but it just shows how much kovie meant to their franchise. for him to bail on them now is a slap in the face to the devils

kovie can hide behind the family excuse all he wants but imo this comes down to money. he will probably get 15-20 million a year tax free in the khl. he will easily surpass his nhl contract money in a few years. He shouldn't have signed such a long term contract if he had concerns about being close to his family

All sides are to blame here not just Kovalchuk, the guy can make more in his home country and wants to be where his heart is. The NHL is pretty much getting a guaranteed lockout every X years, everytime the players are asked to give back and getting their contract rules more and more reduced. So I am not really surprised that some players are saying enough with that, I can play in front of friends, family and make more money - so screw you guys I am going to SKA Petersburgh

he shouldn't have come back to the nhl at all if that was his attitude.

#60 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

Okay... hopefully the Devils sign Cleary now... haha.  Seriously though, they'll probably be looking at a guy like Brunner to help fill the void.