• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#61 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

lou had a part in it, but it just shows how much kovie meant to their franchise. for him to bail on them now is a slap in the face to the devils

kovie can hide behind the family excuse all he wants but imo this comes down to money. he will probably get 15-20 million a year tax free in the khl. he will easily surpass his nhl contract money in a few years. He shouldn't have signed such a long term contract if he had concerns about being close to his family

he shouldn't have come back to the nhl at all if that was his attitude.

Agreed he made it clear, where his heart was he just should have told Lou and stayed there, so at least the Devils would have saved money to sign some free agents.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#62 Kindl Surprise

Kindl Surprise

Rookie

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

Just like everyone else is thinking, wow. They paid him an awful lot of money for about 200 games. Just gonna be a bummer not having him around.

#63 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

It's almost inexplicable that Lamiorello chose not to forfeit his 2012 1st-rounder despite it being #29 in a weak draft. Now he'll be forced to lose a first-rounder in a deep draft that the Devils will most likely be selecting fairly high in.

That guy gets too much credit.

#64 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

It's almost inexplicable that Lamiorello chose not to forfeit his 2012 1st-rounder despite it being #29 in a weak draft. Now he'll be forced to lose a first-rounder in a deep draft that the Devils will most likely be selecting fairly high in.

That guy gets too much credit.

Yet Holland doesn't?  

Lamoriello built that franchise from the ground up.  He didn't just walk into a perfect situation with a bunch of Hall of Famers and yearly playoff success.    

He's had a tougher time since Stevens and Niedermayer have retired and since Brodeur became an old goalie.  However, those Stanley Cup rings are very deserved.  No one is giving him "too much credit" for the last six or seven seasons.  Just what he did before that.  

• Nev likes this
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#65 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

Don Cherry is going to have a field day with this.

Even though Kovalchuk beat up one of Cherry's "Canadian boys"?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=aywypSGFDwo

#66 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

At least they got that Elias extension signed!!

#67 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

Wow, Roenick is really riled up on twitter :lol:

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#68 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

Even though Kovalchuk beat up one of Cherry's "Canadian boys"?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=aywypSGFDwo

LOL is all I have to say to that.

Actually where does Kovy beat up one of Cherry's "boys" in that vid?

Surely that's "beating up one of Cherry's boy's" to you.

Another LOL

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 11 July 2013 - 08:00 PM.

#69 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

I'm guessing Kovalchuk will not be getting his jersey retired next year in Jersey?

;)

#70 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

I'm guessing Kovalchuk will not be getting his jersey retired next year in Jersey?

;)

WOW you think?

#71 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

lou had a part in it, but it just shows how much kovie meant to their franchise. for him to bail on them now is a slap in the face to the devils

kovie can hide behind the family excuse all he wants but imo this comes down to money. he will probably get 15-20 million a year tax free in the khl. he will easily surpass his nhl contract money in a few years. He shouldn't have signed such a long term contract if he had concerns about being close to his family

he shouldn't have come back to the nhl at all if that was his attitude.

A part in it?  He's the GM.  He put together the deal. And losing the pick and getting fined is 100% on Lou.  He runs the team. Not Kovalchuk.

And how is it hiding behind the family excuse?  How could you possibly know his real motives?  If I had to pick one, the more believable scenario, which is the one he described, is that in the lockout shortened season he realized how much he liked being back in Russia around family. 

Overall this sounds like the a mutually beneficial decision.  Kovaluchuk goes to Russia to be with family and play hockey there, Lou gets out of the terrible contract he gave him. 

Kovalchuk is a great player but the franchise is now free of what was a potentially crippling contract under the lowered cap.  I don't know what their current financial situation is but the Devils have had trouble paying their bills the last several seasons.  They owed Kovalchuk over $11 million dollars a year for the next 4 years. 

The guy left $77 million on the table.  Sure he may eventually make that in the KHL but he had a guaranteed contract for that amount.  That's a lot different than the potential earnings.

If anything I could see faulting him for the timing of the retirement.  It's certainly going to leave a huge hole in their lineup.  But in the long term walking away from his contract could be the best thing that happened to the Devils. 

#72 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

LOL is all say to that.

Actually where does Kovy beat up one of Cherry's "boys" in that vid?

Surely that's "beating up one of Cherry's boy's" to you.

Another LOL

LOL at yourself.  

Don't you ever hear Cherry talk about how his Canadian boys play the game the right way, while those soft Euros shy away from contact?    

I was just making fun of Cherry's BS.  Didn't know I'd have to spell it out for someone.  

#73 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

LOL at yourself.  

Don't you ever hear Cherry talk about how his Canadian boys play the game the right way, while those soft Euros shy away from contact?    

I was just making fun of Cherry's BS.  Didn't know I'd have to spell it out for someone.  

It's funny that you point out that one specific incident as an example.

Holy crap one example.

That happens in the NHL ALL THE TIME. 

But yeah you are showing Cherry what's up. lol

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 11 July 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#74 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

Do they want Sammy to replace him on RW?????????  :clap:

#75 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

Do they want Sammy to replace him on RW?????????  :clap:

Need!

#76 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

A part in it?  He's the GM.  He put together the deal. And losing the pick and getting fined is 100% on Lou.  He runs the team. Not Kovalchuk.

And how is it hiding behind the family excuse?  How could you possibly know his real motives?  If I had to pick one, the more believable scenario, which is the one he described, is that in the lockout shortened season he realized how much he liked being back in Russia around family. 

Overall this sounds like the a mutually beneficial decision.  Kovaluchuk goes to Russia to be with family and play hockey there, Lou gets out of the terrible contract he gave him. 

Kovalchuk is a great player but the franchise is now free of what was a potentially crippling contract under the lowered cap.  I don't know what their current financial situation is but the Devils have had trouble paying their bills the last several seasons.  They owed Kovalchuk over $11 million dollars a year for the next 4 years. 

The guy left $77 million on the table.  Sure he may eventually make that in the KHL but he had a guaranteed contract for that amount.  That's a lot different than the potential earnings.

If anything I could see faulting him for the timing of the retirement.  It's certainly going to leave a huge hole in their lineup.  But in the long term walking away from his contract could be the best thing that happened to the Devils. 

yes lou put together the deal but kovalchuk signed off on it as well. the devils went through hoops to get this guy and he bails on them at the worst possible time. and like i mentioned earlier, he should have just stayed in russia after the lockout if he truly missed his family.

77 million figure is very misleading. how much of that is actually left after escrow and taxes. he's lucky if he gets even half that in his pocket when all said and done. he will make that up in the khl in no time.

if i was other russian players trying to get to the nhl, i would be pissed at him right now. who is going to want to draft a russian when there's the very real possibility that they bail and go to the khl.

#77 wingfanatic4alltime

wingfanatic4alltime

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:47 PM

I'm shocked by this as well but does anybody else think its way too convenient that kovy bolts and the devils aren't fighting it. The devils are financially strapped, kovy still had 12 yrs left on his contract. Its just a little weird to me they aren't fighting this.
IN KENNY WE TRUST!!

#78 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:20 AM

I'm shocked by this as well but does anybody else think its way too convenient that kovy bolts and the devils aren't fighting it. The devils are financially strapped, kovy still had 12 yrs left on his contract. Its just a little weird to me they aren't fighting this.

The Devils can't make him not retire.

#79 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:25 AM

yes lou put together the deal but kovalchuk signed off on it as well. the devils went through hoops to get this guy and he bails on them at the worst possible time. and like i mentioned earlier, he should have just stayed in russia after the lockout if he truly missed his family.

It is fairly clear that Devils were aware of this possibility for a while. And I would not be surprised if the are fully on-board with this including the timing. Who knows, maybe they did not want the fan pressure of having to compete for high-priced free agents if Kovalchuk were to announce it one week earlier. And now they just going to sign some cheap guy fill open roster spot.

#80 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:36 AM

Well, I'm sure Bettman is happy about this....

:lol:

IPB Image