• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#121 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

Per Puck Daddy, Ilya Kovalchuk's new contract with SKA Moscow could be worth $20 million a year.

http://sports.yahoo....-210237775.html

tumblr_mgu1jlo4yk1qe0ntoo1_500.gif

#122 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,412 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

I don't like someone being able to simply retire (i.e. get out of "x" year contract) and go sign another contract with a team in another league.  I guess if NJ was against that happening they could block it.

#123 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

I don't like someone being able to simply retire (i.e. get out of "x" year contract) and go sign another contract with a team in another league.  I guess if NJ was against that happening they could block it.

There in lies the rub, loophole Lou strikes again, maybe?

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#124 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,555 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

There in lies the rub, loophole Lou strikes again, maybe?

There's no "maybe" to it.  NJ had to agreed to void his contract.  

#125 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

Per Puck Daddy, Ilya Kovalchuk's new contract with SKA Moscow could be worth $20 million a year.

http://sports.yahoo....-210237775.html

Now he can finally afford to feed his children.

#126 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

After he makes his KHL money, his sister is stating that he plans to return to the NHL.

A bunch of strange rules for 35+ contracts will allow this with no repercussions and no one have to approve it - neither the league, the BOG, not the Devils.

$77 Million dollar question - as a GM, would you?

Let's say he's still playing lights out hockey. Would you pull the trigger on him?

Linky

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#127 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,698 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

You know what?  I'm glad he did it.  Him and Lou too.

We lost a full season so that the league could get a cap and all of the stupid rules that went with it.

Then when Holland figured a way around it and signed Z to a long-term deal, I was worried that Z might have issues with his back, and everyone reassured me that it was ok because if Z retired, it would come off the books.

Those were the rules that Z signed the contract under.  Retire and your team is off the hook.

Then we get another lockout, miss another half of a season, and all of a sudden... "OOPSIES! We don't like how people figured out how to get around that.  We're going to change the rules.  Now if the guy retires before the end, there's a penalty.  So what if we're changing the rules in the middle of the game?  We're the league and if you don't let us do this, we won't let you play hockey."

I can see them changing the rules for future contracts, but they have now changed the rules for existing ones.  When teams and players sign contracts, they abide by the rules set by the league.  If they find a loophole, we admire them for it.  If you don't believe me, go back and find the thread where Z was signed.  Kenny was a genius to the point of being a saint on this board.

Lou and Kovy played by the old rules and got the carpet yanked out from under them.  Instead of crying over the lack of carpet, they went with linoleum.  Good for them.

The league stuck out their tongue, and Lou and Kovy flipped them off.  I feel some satisfaction knowing that Bettman is probably sitting in his office throwing a Rumplstiltskin-like tantrum yelling, "Curses!  Foiled again!'

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#128 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,555 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

After he makes his KHL money, his sister is stating that he plans to return to the NHL.

A bunch of strange rules for 35+ contracts will allow this with no repercussions and no one have to approve it - neither the league, the BOG, not the Devils.

$77 Million dollar question - as a GM, would you?

Let's say he's still playing lights out hockey. Would you pull the trigger on him?

Linky

Assuming he's healthy in 4 or 5 years and returns, someone inevitably will sign him.  He's too good to pass up.  And it'd only be a deal for a few seasons at most anyway. 

#129 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,412 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

Assuming he's healthy in 4 or 5 years and returns, someone inevitably will sign him.  He's too good to pass up.  And it'd only be a deal for a few seasons at most anyway. 

Could be quite a different player after 35 though....it's really hit and miss at that point.  Probably more the norm to be in signficant decline at that point though.

#130 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,555 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

Could be quite a different player after 35 though....it's really hit and miss at that point.  Probably more the norm to be in signficant decline at that point though.

Agreed.  I just think if he's healthy, some GM is going to take a gamble on him.  

#131 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

I think with fewer games and larger ice surface (fewer hits) he has a better chance of staying healthy in KHL than in NHL. I do not think Kovalchuk has been injury-prone up to this point.

#132 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

Dolla dolla bills #mafiamoney

#133 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:40 PM

Would we blame Franzen for doing the same? :lol:

#134 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

Agreed.  I just think if he's healthy, some GM is going to take a gamble on him.  

He'll probably sign 1 year deals with the best team at the time and chase a Cup....Hossa style! 

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#135 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

He'll probably sign 1 year deals with the best team at the time and chase a Cup....Hossa style! 

He probably pulls a Niedermayer, comes back at the end of the season and joins the team with what looks like the best chance to win the cup.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#136 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

He probably pulls a Niedermayer, comes back at the end of the season and joins the team with what looks like the best chance to win the cup. 

The KHL season would have to end pretty early though.  It would be funny if he joined the Wings and we won it.  That would really crawl up the ass of 29 other fanbases :lol:

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#137 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:56 AM

Not if he plays in the KHL

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#138 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,072 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

I just think if he's healthy, some GM is going to take a gamble on him.  

Holland.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#139 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

Take this for what you will......

Translated - 

"Money - is not important. Motivation is one - to win the Gagarin Cup. SKA has never sought, and I would like to be a pioneer in this. I have not forgotten about the Stanley Cup. This goal is. I'm only 30 years old, I have yet to come. The next four years I spend here, and then it will depend on me "- Kovalchuk said.

Edited by Hockeytown0001, 25 August 2013 - 07:51 PM.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#140 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

My concern would be that he takes a dip. He isn't playing the elite level talent now so I see his skills potentially degrading faster.

Then again I could be wrong.