• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Opie

Bergeron gets 8 yr extension

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Wasn't the Bruins' owner one of the ones insisting on the lockout because of how high salaries were getting?

$6.5m really isn't a very big salary for Bergeron.

I've got to say, I really dislike the contract. For amount somewhat, but especially for term.

First, his point totals are quite weak for that type of money. His career high was 70 points and that was back in 2006-2007.

In the seasons since then, he's put up:

7 pts in 10 games

39 pts in 64 games played

52 pts in 73 games played

57 pts in 80 games played

64 pts in 81 games played

32 pts in 42 games played.

Obviously he's a strong defensive player which increases his value, but it still seems high when you consider that it's an 8 year deal. With that sort of term, they should have been able to get the yearly average down more.

Then look at the number of games played in each of those years. He's quite injury prone.

Edit: However, I guess players like Filppula getting 5x5 would certainly suggest that Bergeron is worth this contract.

Edited by Zetts

Guest Playmaker

I had thought the term length that had been agreed upon by the owners and the players was less than 8 years. I can't believe anyone sympathized with the owners. They sign these ridiculous contracts and then cry poor and blame the players and lock them out. It's ridiculous.

Bergeron is the heart and soul of that team.

Chara is the leader, Thornton as well is a vet leader.

Bergeron is the identity of the team though, his defense first approach is exactly what Julien preaches, he is probably Claude's ideal forward.

His post season play was spectacular, he deserves all of this especially playing through the punctured lung!

He will be 36 when the contract ends, he is in his prime, has been with the team since he was 18.

I am not a fan of 8 year deals, but if their is a max contract player in that group of forwards it is Patrice.

IMO

I am not a fan of 8 year deals, but if their is a max contract player in that group of forwards it is Patrice.

IMO

That's the thing, I don't think that there is a forward in that group that deserves the max. 8 years for somone so frequently injured at such a large cap hit is crazy.

The Bruins are a beast. Best top 6 in the league now with Iginla and Ericcson. Top 3 goalie and defenseman in the league with Rask and Chara.

Agreed, but they're also already over the cap by about 1.4M and Bergeron's new, higher contract doesn't even kick in until 2014-2015.

That's with 13 forwards, 7 defensement and Chad Johnson (who?) as their backup, being paid $600 000.

Edited by Zetts

Not too big a salary, but for a team that you're playing on long term, take a small hometown discount of $6mil and let the team have more depth.

The Bruins are a beast. Best top 6 in the league now with Iginla and Ericcson. Top 3 goalie and defenseman in the league with Rask and Chara.

How do we think their top 6 will look now? Horton and Seguin gone...my guess:

Lucic-Krejci-Ericsson

Iginla-Bergeron-Marchand

I'd say that's a pretty solid top 6.

Bergeron is the man, tough as nails great two way player, the only thing I don't agree with is giving this crappy owner such a huge discount, he would have easily gotten 7 - 7.5 on the open market. Bergy is going to be the next captain of the Bruins.

but man leaving 500k - 1kk on the table per year is a huge hometown-discount, undeserved when you are working for one of the worst owners in the NHL.

Bruins future is pretty much set right now, strong top 6, elite goaltending and the human giant Chara on the backend - this team is going to be a contender for years :(

How do we think their top 6 will look now? Horton and Seguin gone...my guess:

Lucic-Krejci-Ericsson

Iginla-Bergeron-Marchand

I'd say that's a pretty solid top 6.

That talent is absolutely ridiculous. Rumors have been that they're shopping Marchand to trim capspace though, so he could be gone.

Edited by Zetts

Not too big a salary, but for a team that you're playing on long term, take a small hometown discount of $6mil and let the team have more depth.

That's pretty much what he's getting, give or take $500,00 a year.

That's the thing, I don't think that there is a forward in that group that deserves the max. 8 years for somone so frequently injured at such a large cap hit is crazy.

Agreed, but they're also already over the cap by about 1.4M and Bergeron's new, higher contract doesn't even kick in until 2014-2015.

That's with 13 forwards, 7 defensement and Chad Johnson (who?) as their backup, being paid $600 000.

He's actually a quality backup goalie. He came over from Phoenix and really helped push the Coyotes into playoff contention late last season. He's a guy I thought should have been locked up for 4-years, even if it was for a slightly higher contract (950,000+). The guy has the head for the position and still has a lot of room to grow as far as physical requirements.

He's actually a quality backup goalie. He came over from Phoenix and really helped push the Coyotes into playoff contention late last season. He's a guy I thought should have been locked up for 4-years, even if it was for a slightly higher contract (950,000+). The guy has the head for the position and still has a lot of room to grow as far as physical requirements.

He played 4 games, 2 in Jan and 2 in April ... and he helped push the Coyotes into contention ... in 4 games?

That's two awesome 2-game stretches!

He played 4 games, 2 in Jan and 2 in April ... and he helped push the Coyotes into contention ... in 4 games?

Yeah, I was just going to say...

He's 27 and has played 10 games in the NHL in his entire career. I mean, I guess it's a minor point since you've got to expect Rask will be playing the vast majority of the games with his massive new contract. But it's one example (and I think there will be a few more before the end of the offseason) of how Boston has to struggle to make it in under the cap.

Edited by Zetts

He stepped up big in the late game against Detroit, which he won. In his two April starts, he earned 3 points. Compare that to starter Mike Smith who went 4-2-2 in April, including a big loss to Detroit, and, yeah, I'd say he pushed them into contention. If Mike Smith beats Detroit for the other game, you're talking about a big swing in how things played out.

You seem to forget- if Phoenix wins that game, Detroit finishes with 54 points and Phoenix finishes with 53. Not a difference-making swing there, but Phoenix lost to Colorado as well after that, when they were pretty much guaranteed to finish behind Detroit. That game was instrumental in how things played out. So, yes, I'd say that Johnson pushed them there in April with his big win over Detroit. If they lose that first game, they fall even further out of the way. They lost to the second-worst team once they were eliminated... you're talking about a potential +4 point swing for Phoenix and a -2 point swing for Detroit.

Any other questions?

Edited by _SP_

Any other questions?

Sure, just to attempt to understand your logic.

Now you're saying that Johnson helped a Coyotes playoff push on the basis of 2 games? Smith helps them to 10 points in April, but those 3 points in games that Johnson played were the key?

On the basis of those 2 games, you think Johnson earned a 4-year deal? That about right?

Bergeron's contract is $6.5m a year for 8 years & Giroux's is $8.2m a year for 8 years. I'd rather have Bergeron's contract. He is only a year & a half older than Giroux, has won a stanley cup, reached a second final, won gold in the olympics and world championships. The guy is a freakin' gamer! He is Boston's Zetter.

Guest The Axe

One of my favorite non-Wings player. I think he's in that category of players you build your team around because of his great two-way play. He's pretty much Boston's Zetterberg like freshy said. I think this is a great deal for the Bruins.

Zetterbrrgeron. Scary good.

Sure, just to attempt to understand your logic.

Now you're saying that Johnson helped a Coyotes playoff push on the basis of 2 games? Smith helps them to 10 points in April, but those 3 points in games that Johnson played were the key?

------------------------------------------------------

On the basis of those 2 games, you think Johnson earner spot,d a 4-year deal? That about right?

Smith DIDN'T help them by losing to Detroit in the heat of a playoff battle, against one of the team's trying to steal their spot. And he's signed to a hefty deal.

I think Johnson's progression with Connecticut is key, too. He's gotten better at each level of competition. He was also the best goalie in their system. But yes, those two games DEFINITELY helped his status, in my opinion. And he faced 100+ shots against NHL competition and did very well. It was a good tryout and I think he passed the test.

I think Johnson's better than Gustavsson.

Edited by _SP_