29 replies to this topic

#21 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

Any other questions?

Sure, just to attempt to understand your logic.

Now you're saying that Johnson helped a Coyotes playoff push on the basis of 2 games? Smith helps them to 10 points in April, but those 3 points in games that Johnson played were the key?

On the basis of those 2 games, you think Johnson earned a 4-year deal? That about right?

#22 freshy

freshy

Freshy

• PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

Bergeron's contract is $6.5m a year for 8 years & Giroux's is $8.2m a year for 8 years. I'd rather have Bergeron's contract. He is only a year & a half older than Giroux, has won a stanley cup, reached a second final, won gold in the olympics and world championships. The guy is a freakin' gamer! He is Boston's Zetter.

You gotta be the QB to win the MVP baby! You can't be the punter.

#23 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

One of my favorite non-Wings player. I think he's in that category of players you build your team around because of his great two-way play. He's pretty much Boston's Zetterberg like freshy said. I think this is a great deal for the Bruins.

#24 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

One of my favorite non-Wings player. I think he's in that category of players you build your team around because of his great two-way play. He's pretty much Boston's Zetterberg like freshy said. I think this is a great deal for the Bruins.

Zetterbrrgeron. Scary good.

#25 _SP_

_SP_

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

Sure, just to attempt to understand your logic.

Now you're saying that Johnson helped a Coyotes playoff push on the basis of 2 games? Smith helps them to 10 points in April, but those 3 points in games that Johnson played were the key?

------------------------------------------------------

On the basis of those 2 games, you think Johnson earner spot,d a 4-year deal? That about right?

Smith DIDN'T help them by losing to Detroit in the heat of a playoff battle, against one of the team's trying to steal their spot. And he's signed to a hefty deal. 

I think Johnson's progression with Connecticut is key, too. He's gotten better at each level of competition. He was also the best goalie in their system.  But yes, those two games DEFINITELY helped his status, in my opinion.  And he faced 100+ shots against NHL competition and did very well.  It was a good tryout and I think he passed the test.

I think Johnson's better than Gustavsson.  

Edited by _SP_, 12 July 2013 - 06:25 PM.

#26 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

Bergeron's contract is $6.5m a year for 8 years & Giroux's is $8.2m a year for 8 years. I'd rather have Bergeron's contract. He is only a year & a half older than Giroux, has won a stanley cup, reached a second final, won gold in the olympics and world championships. The guy is a freakin' gamer! He is Boston's Zetter.

Giroux gave them no hometown-discount ( I wouldn't either), but Bergy basically gave Boston around 500k - 1kk that's a lot of cash on an annual basis, they pretty much got him for 8 million less if not more, the guy is pure class.

I am sure the Canadiens aren't too happy with that.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#27 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

Here's a great article from The Score , regarding his physical maladies during the SC Final.

Ever wonder why it's the "Stanley Cup Final", yet it's the "NBA Final"?

I'm channelling George Carlin here.

Edited by cusimano_brothers, 12 July 2013 - 07:04 PM.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#28 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:34 AM

Good player. Seems a bit high, but I guess that's what you gotta do to keep someone like that.

Posted Image

#29 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

I thought he would have gotten more tbh.

Either way good deal for both sides.

#30 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

As good as their top 6 is, they still don't have an elite center.  I would say they have a top 10 top 6, but not the best.