65 replies to this topic

#21 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

Kronwall + Girardi = Cup

I know you like Girardi a lot; but by the accounts of many Rangers fans, he did not at all have a good season.

#22 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

When I think of a true #1 defensemen I think of a franchise defensemen. I'm talking Pronger, Lidstrom, Chelios, Niedermayer caliber. Kronner is good but he is not on that level.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 13 July 2013 - 11:34 PM.

#23 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

When I think of a ture #1 defensemen I think of a franchise defensemen. I'm talking Pronger, Lidstrom, Chelios, Niedermayer caliber. Kronner is good but he is not on that level.

Same here.

That said, I think we should call that a franchise defenseman and redefine what a normal #1 is.

#24 RedWingCraig

RedWingCraig

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

He may not be a franchise defenseman but he's our #1

#25 AusWing40

AusWing40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:39 PM

He started off pretty god awfully. Whether that's due to the lockout or the pressure of being the #1 I don't know

#26 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:39 AM

Yet to be seen. It almost seemed like he played better as the #2-3 D-man a few years ago.

#27 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:11 AM

By the definition that some have here of what constitutes a #1 defenseman, there are substantially less #1 defensemen than there are teams in the NHL.

This.  Too many people define a #1 D as "all-star-Norris trophy candidate-hall of famer."  As someone else said, those are Franchise Defencemen and no-one here would argue Kronwall is one of those.

Plus we've been spoiled rotten and given insane expectations of what to expect from a #1D by 20 years of Lidstrom.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#28 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:00 AM

If he's not top ten...who all is better than him? Go!

Ill say Doughty, Subban, Chara, Weber, Suter, Karlsson...

I don't want to make a rank order list because I'm feeling pretty lazy, but I'd add Pietrangelo to your list and probably remove Karlsson.  His offensive is obviously WAY better, but as shaky as Kronwall may seem at times, imagine if he were only 175 lbs and much weaker. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#29 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

We should have expected this season to be kind of a clusterf***.  Lidstrom retired, they lost Stuart, then a third of the guys they expected to play on the top 3 lines all went down early.  That's a lot of shuffling and guys playing new roles, with no camp and only a short season to get used to the changes.  Kronwall had to adjust to being Nik instead of just Nik Jr., Ericsson needed to adjust to being #2, and they were working Smith in.  There wasn't a single defenseman who had a partner they'd spent any significant time with before this year.  It usually takes time to build chemistry and get your communication down.  If you add Zetterberg having to adjust to being the captain and working 3 rookie forwards in too, that's about 3 normal offseasons worth of changes they had to make with no camp.

Throwing Kronwall under the bus for "playing worse" as a #1 than he did as the #2 guy is kind of harsh.  I expect him, and everyone else, to be much better next season after a full training camp and half a season of the changes.

Edited by DickieDunn, 14 July 2013 - 08:13 AM.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#30 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

Kronner is what he is, an excellent second pairing defenseman but without a franchise defender not a top pairing guy.

This is nothing against him, it is just the truth and I really hope he will return to his more kronwalling instead of trying to run the powerplay, I think the shutdown role is better suited for him.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#31 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

If he's not top ten...who all is better than him? Go!

Ill say Doughty, Subban, Chara, Weber, Suter, Karlsson...

You're hilarious. 

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Referees

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#32 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

You're hilarious. 

I don't get the joke. Two players you bolded won the last two Norris trophies.

#33 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

Tough to say coming out of a lockout.

Lockout years, IMO, are not good years to judge players.

They basically all had their training camps with different players than they played with.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#34 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

I don't get the joke. Two players you bolded won the last two Norris trophies.

That's because the Norris has become nothing more than a scoring race for Dmen, no matter if they can even play the defensive side of the game.  They just load up their points on the PP and win the Norris.  Suter should have won it this year over the other 2 candidates.  The Norris is supposed to be awarded to the "best all-around Dman" and that's where the trophy is losing a lot of credibility along with numerous others.

As for guys "as good" or "better" than Kronwall:

Pietrangelo, Doughty, Chara, Weber, Suter, Boychuk, Keith, Yandle, Ekman-Larsson, Shattenkirk and McDonough.  There is a list of guys who can play both sides of the ice.  Kronwall is basically equivalent to Keith, Yandle and Shattenkirk as an exact play style.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#35 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

Kronner is what he is, an excellent second pairing defenseman but without a franchise defender not a top pairing guy.

This is nothing against him, it is just the truth and I really hope he will return to his more kronwalling instead of trying to run the powerplay, I think the shutdown role is better suited for him.

Can you name 60 better defensemen in the NHL?

I do think Kronner is easily a top-30 defenseman, and IMO that makes him a #1. I wouldn't say that he is an elite or franchise defenseman, but he is a #1.

#36 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

I think Kronner is a #2, but I thought he played ok last year as a #1. Perhaps he will be better adjusted to the big guns of the opponents this year and will keep more pucks out of the net.

#37 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

I think Kronner is a #2, but I thought he played ok last year as a #1. Perhaps he will be better adjusted to the big guns of the opponents this year and will keep more pucks out of the net.

Yes Kronner as much as we love him. He IS a #2 d-man playing on our team as a #1 d-man.

Nothing wrong with that tbh. Would love him to step it up this year big time but us being in a new "conference" and all.

I don't know. New changes against new opponents aren't always instant. It goes both ways yes.

Our team along with Kronner will be challenged big time again this year no doubt.

#38 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

Can you name 60 better defensemen in the NHL?

I do think Kronner is easily a top-30 defenseman, and IMO that makes him a #1. I wouldn't say that he is an elite or franchise defenseman, but he is a #1.

I would have a hard time naming 60 defensemen to be honest, I don't follow all the teams but here is a list of guys that are for sure better:

Chara, Letang, Weber, Suter, Keith, Seabrook, Pietrangelo, Phaneuf, Karlson, Staal, Doughty, Shattenkirk (younger + cheaper)

the expectations for a number 1 defenseman are obviously high and this already excludes franchise guys like Lidström (hope his son will fill in for him).

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#39 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

I would have a hard time naming 60 defensemen to be honest, I don't follow all the teams but here is a list of guys that are for sure better:

Chara, Letang, Weber, Suter, Keith, Seabrook, Pietrangelo, Phaneuf, Karlson, Staal, Doughty, Shattenkirk (younger + cheaper)

the expectations for a number 1 defenseman are obviously high and this already excludes franchise guys like Lidström (hope his son will fill in for him).

Letang is terrible in his own end. If he, Phaneuf, Shattenkirk, and probably a couple of the other guys were Wings we'd have a bunch of people complaining about them, too. Kronwall is a solid #1 d, with a few guys who are better and a few more right around the same level.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#40 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

I know you like Girardi a lot; but by the accounts of many Rangers fans, he did not at all have a good season.

And?

Don't Toews me, bro!