• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RusDRW

Henrik and Pavel

Rate this topic

should (will) Red Wings retire their numbers? From my opinion it is definite yes as they defined a milestone for the team we are rooting for. From the other side we have Fedorov who contributed as much as Yzerman (13 seasons of pure magic) but left with some bad feelings... What do you think?

Pav signing this extension should have wiped away any doubt, his number will be retired. Hank is well on his way but needs atleast a couple more good years and some more playoff success imo.

This for sure. They need to add another cup....

Datsyuk yes, Zetterberg is a maybe right now. I'm torn about Fedorov. He was supremely talented, but the way he left, and had been trying to leave for quite awhile before he did leave, probably disqualifies him in my mind. The Wings don't retire your number just because you were great with them, or a Hall of Fame player like some other teams. You need to be an icon here to have that honor. There are some teams that will retire your number just because they want the attention of retiring a number (Colorado). Detroit doesn't and shouldn't do that.

Really, they need a ring of honor type thing for the guys like Shanahan, Chelios, Probert, Konstantinov, the Grind Line, Fedorov, etc. Save the retirements for the players who defined the team like howe, Abel, Yzerman, Lidstrom, and now Datsyuk.

I think Hank and Dats are great players, not on par with Feds skill wise.

I think Hank and Dats are greater Red Wings than Feds, if that makes sense.

I think none of them belong in the rafters at the Joe.

Look at the last two names put up there, all world players and leaders, and two of the greatest Wings ever.

People forget not only was Yzerman the heart and soul of this organization, he has over 1700 points.

This is not Colorado or Buffalo, simpy being a great player and leader does not get you in the rafters, you need to be one of the best Wings of all time.

Unfortunately for Hank and Dats, they are in that class one step below that!

IMO

I think that Datsyuk and Zetterberg have not accomplished enough to have their numbers retired. At this point neither of them are on par even with Fedorov in terms of accomplishments and Fedorov's number will not be retired. Neither will Shanahan, Larionov, or even Osgood. And they have more Cups and personal accomplishments.

I think if the Wings were a less storied franchise and didn't have Howe, Sawchuck, and Lindsay up in the rafters right now they would have a better chance. But this isn't Columbus or Buffalo. Detroit has had giants, and while Datsyuk and Z have been huge for their team, they are not HUGE like those other names.

The real question is....what numbers will future Wings have to choose from? I mean, obviously 11, 36, and 51 will be hung up there soon too.

Seriously though, I think Pav has a chance, but I don't see Z getting there. He's just not a dominant player that can regularly take a game over. Nearly every number in the rafters was a guy who could single-handedly create wins.

The real question is....what numbers will future Wings have to choose from? I mean, obviously 11, 36, and 51 will be hung up there soon too.

Seriously though, I think Pav has a chance, but I don't see Z getting there. He's just not a dominant player that can regularly take a game over. Nearly every number in the rafters was a guy who could single-handedly create wins.

Like Datsyuk.

Yes, definitely on Pasha. Good possibility for Henrik, depending on how much of an impact he has from here on out. I doubt Fedorov will, simply because some parties have very long memories, and hold grudges forever.

I think the question is whether or not they get into the Hall of Fame. Isn't that one of the musts set down by Mr. Ilitch for the Wings to consider retiring a number? I believe that's one of the reasons given for taking Larry Aurie's number down from the rafters.

I think that Datsyuk and Zetterberg have not accomplished enough to have their numbers retired. At this point neither of them are on par even with Fedorov in terms of accomplishments and Fedorov's number will not be retired. Neither will Shanahan, Larionov, or even Osgood. And they have more Cups and personal accomplishments.

I think if the Wings were a less storied franchise and didn't have Howe, Sawchuck, and Lindsay up in the rafters right now they would have a better chance. But this isn't Columbus or Buffalo. Detroit has had giants, and while Datsyuk and Z have been huge for their team, they are not HUGE like those other names.

Pretty much this..

but we do have Zetterberg under contract for 8 more years. If he can captain the wings to a few more cups, he could assure himself a spot in the rafters.

13 and 40 are contenders, but not there yet. 91 will not be retired.

I got ridiculed for saying this in other threads, but we basically have to win 1 or 2 more cups on the backs of Datsyuk and Zetterberg before their numbers will be elligible to hang in the rafters. All the other names up there are much more decorated and have won at least 3 cups with the Red Wings. Datsyuk has won two, but he was not the backbone of the team with the first one. If they can bring a couple more cups to this organization then you can make an arguement.

Edited by Seraph

I don't see either getting their numbers formally retired but maybe both as an unspoken rule. I think Zetterberg would have more of a chance considering he has a Conne Smyth and is the captain and will be captain until he retires.

No.

Red Kelly and Norm Ullman weren't retired, two guys with higher all time NHL rankings.

Seems like the Wings only retire the most elite players in terms of rankings in NHL history. I don't think Pavel or Hank rise up to that level, unless the franchise wants to make exceptions to its previous standards.

People arguing points is kind of silly. It's a different era. Stevy Y would not have had the same amount of points had he started in 2001-2002 with Datsyuk.

I think Pavs has meant as much to the current era as Stevy did. Yes there is a crossover obviously, but Pavs was just rising when Stevy was finishing up. Hank to me is a little inconsistent. I think Pavs should go up there...not right away, but eventually.

I think Feds should go up too, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Guest Playmaker

No, No and No. Number retirement is not for good players or even excellent players. Retiring a number should be reserved for legends only. I don't think any of the three qualify.

Datsyuk: 11 seasons with Wings

255 goals; 512 assists; 767 points

Stanley Cup 2002, 2008

All-Star 2004, 2008, 2009, 2012

Young Stars Game 2002

Selke 2008, 2009, 2010

Lady Byng 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009

Plus-Minus Award 2008

- needs to get to 1000 points; needs to win another cup (at least); needs to sign at least one additional one-year deal; needs to be inducted into HOF; with that I say YES

Zetterberg: 10 sesaons with Wings

263 goals; 408 assists; 672 points

Conn Smyth 2008

Stanley Cup 2008

All-Star 2007 & 2008

All Rookie Team 2003

NHL Foundation Award 2013

Captain [2013 to ]

- needs to play out his contract without a dropoff [he's only at 672 pts]; needs to win another cup (at least); needs to be inducted into HOF; even then it would be close

Federov: 13 years with Wings

400 goals; 554 assists; 954 points [with Wings only]

Stanley Cup 1997, 1998, 2002

All-Star 1992, 1994, 1996, 2001, 2002, 2003

All Rookie Team 1991

Hart 2004

Pearson 2004

Selke 1994, 1996

His 1994 season is one of the best ever by a Red Wing and I think he's a HOF for sure. If you take away the hold-out, his personality, and his departure from the Wings it's a YES. I love him, but in the words of Mike Singletary, "Can't Do it, Won't do it."

Honestly, the ridiculous standards that some Wings fans hold up for number retirement these days, we'd better un-retire Lindsay, Delvecchio and Abel, because they don't qualify. Hell, even Yzerman, he's not all-NHL all-time quality, so he doesn't count either. Just Sawchuk, Howe and Lidstrom it is.

IMO, Datsyuk is a yes. 4 more seasons and he will be ~1050 points, more than Ullman, Lindsay, Fedorov, Abel etc and good for 5th all time in Wings scoring (only Howe, Yzerman, Lidstrom and Delvecchio will have more)....throw in (at least) 3 Selkes, 4 Lady Byngs, 2 Stanley Cups and an incredible human-highlight-reel style of play and I don't see how you can say no.

Zetterberg is going to be borderline. A lot depends on how his health holds up, and what he achieves in the 2nd half of his career. He could easily accumulate 1000+ points, but he might need a bit more silverware.

Fedorov, by any measure should be straight up there.............except for the manner of his departure. That was one reason why I hoped he would come back late in his career, so he could have a rapproachment with the fans/management. Hopefully he'll appear in one of the legends games at the WC to begin his rehabilitation.

Honestly, the ridiculous standards that some Wings fans hold up for number retirement these days, we'd better un-retire Lindsay, Delvecchio and Abel, because they don't qualify. Hell, even Yzerman, he's not all-NHL all-time quality, so he doesn't count either. Just Sawchuk, Howe and Lidstrom it is.

IMO, Datsyuk is a yes. 4 more seasons and he will be ~1050 points, more than Ullman, Lindsay, Fedorov, Abel etc and good for 5th all time in Wings scoring (only Howe, Yzerman, Lidstrom and Delvecchio will have more)....throw in (at least) 3 Selkes, 4 Lady Byngs, 2 Stanley Cups and an incredible human-highlight-reel style of play and I don't see how you can say no.

Zetterberg is going to be borderline. A lot depends on how his health holds up, and what he achieves in the 2nd half of his career. He could easily accumulate 1000+ points, but he might need a bit more silverware.

Fedorov, by any measure should be straight up there.............except for the manner of his departure. That was one reason why I hoped he would come back late in his career, so he could have a rapproachment with the fans/management. Hopefully he'll appear in one of the legends games at the WC to begin his rehabilitation.

It's not ALWAYS about stats. Darren McCarty has 4 Cups and 2 of the biggest goals in modern Wings history (3/26/97 OT winner and 97 Cup winner) and the Lemieux beatdown. He has a place of honor with fans but his number will never be retired.

This is where Pavel and Hank currently sit. Honored but not legendary.

Now if they could retire gloves then Pavel's would be in the rafters.

Guest The Axe

If Pavel and Henrik keep going at this pace their numbers will be retired. Feds 91 will never be retired.

They will hit the 3 requirements, I think.

1000 pts minimum.

1 Stanley Cup minimum.

15 years service minimum.

They will hit the 3 requirements, I think.

1000 pts minimum.

1 Stanley Cup minimum.

15 years service minimum.

Maybe, except there's no such "requirement"

Sid Abel never hit even close to 1,000 points. Different era of course, but exceptions can be made regardless of numbers. Abel certainly deserved to be there.

It's not just about stats or longevity, but also where those names rank in NHL history. If you look at who's up there and compare them to Datsyuk and Zetterberg, you'll see the difference.

I think an exception should be made for Red Kelly, despite lack of longevity, but Ilitch and family seem to disagree. Then again, Ilitch and family had the gall to take Aurie's number down, which is something you don't see very often from other teams.