• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Brendan Smith signs 2-year, $2.525m contract with Red Wings

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

Or Smith just can handle himself like a boss.

Smith is a strong skater, but Ryan is missing a set.

Honestly, if he dropped the gloves just a little bit more often, he'd get cut a hell of a lot more slack from a lot of Wings fans. Unfortunately he seems more reluctant to do it - I think it was that fight in particular, he got chewed out by Babcock for leaving them a defencemen short.

Same with his big hits. Ever since he got suspended in the 2011 pre-season, the big hits have stopped.

Which is why I want to see Mike McKee work out as a forward instead of sticking to d. If he ever does make the big club, I would rather he not be limited on when he throws down because of his position. Easier to do if he's 1 of 12 instead of 1 of 6.

Very nice re-sign!

$1.262 is great! That is the kind of raise I was hoping for! Also good is, after the two years he is still an RFA... I like it!

Only $1M left in cap...Nyquist and Andersson will get at least $1M each....can't wait to see who has to pack their bags!

Smith is a strong skater, but Ryan is missing a set.

Yes. I like Ryan and have made trade scenario after trade scenario for over a year now, but you are correct and that is why today Ryan is a Senator and NOT a Red Wing.

This is the Smith I hope to see more of, not fighting all the time but the aggressiveness and toughness. He saw the hit coming and reversed it on Ryan and that is what made Ryan look like a punk, even more so than the little tustle... That is the Smith I like.

You could pretty look up any post I had about Brendan Smith from April to the present, and it would range from critical to betrayed to outright nasty. But all of that was coming from a person who was a big Smith backer at the beginning of the year. The type of step forward that Kindl took by the time of the Playoffs is what I expected Smith to do, only Smith probably has more offensive upside.

...And that still might happen. Which is why this deal is perfectly fine. Considering that this team (and most teams) has at least one cap hit the size of Jordin Tootoo's that frequently gets healthy scratched (or is oft injured, like Samuelsson), Smith will have every chance again to be a Top 6 defenseman. There isn't even a Coliacovo, Ian White, or Kent Huskins-like guy (yet) to take that spot away from him.

The whole thing that made Smith infuriating is that he appears to HAVE the necessary tools to be a good player. The mental side of the game just wasn't there last spring. This is a great cap hit to monitor the next two years, by which point if he hasn't improved, it will be a good time to walk away.

Very nice re-sign!

$1.262 is great! That is the kind of raise I was hoping for! Also good is, after the two years he is still an RFA... I like it!

Only $1M left in cap...Nyquist and Andersson will get at least $1M each....can't wait to see who has to pack their bags!

Neither..I'm pretty sure Kenny will find a way to get both of these guys under contract and I guess the only way he can do that is by trading some other pluggers to free up cap space.

Pretty reasonable. Why did he file for arbitration then? Holland was throwing 700k per year contract offers at him?

Arbitration can be an advantage for both parties. It stops other teams from putting in offer sheets, which allows the team and player to focus on themselves and not worry about others.

It is a sign from both that they are serious about staying together. If a player goes to arbitration, he is saying that he's not interested in going to another team. If the team doesn't want him, they can set him free and he can talk to other teams.

It also keeps both parties honest about how much/little they will offer. The team can't say, "We have your rights so we're going to pay you peanuts." because they might end up paying more than the guy is worth if it goes to arbitration. By the same token, the player can't hold out beyond what is reasonable because he might end up getting less than he's worth from an arbitrator.

I generally look at it as a good sign if a guy files. It's like a promise ring between people waiting for agreement on the pre-nup. You know the wedding's coming soon.

Guest The Axe

Arbitration can be an advantage for both parties. It stops other teams from putting in offer sheets, which allows the team and player to focus on themselves and not worry about others.

It is a sign from both that they are serious about staying together. If a player goes to arbitration, he is saying that he's not interested in going to another team. If the team doesn't want him, they can set him free and he can talk to other teams.

It also keeps both parties honest about how much/little they will offer. The team can't say, "We have your rights so we're going to pay you peanuts." because they might end up paying more than the guy is worth if it goes to arbitration. By the same token, the player can't hold out beyond what is reasonable because he might end up getting less than he's worth from an arbitrator.

I generally look at it as a good sign if a guy files. It's like a promise ring between people waiting for agreement on the pre-nup. You know the wedding's coming soon.

Put this in hockepedia (thats gold, btw) as the rfa arbitration definition! Me like.

Very nice re-sign!

Plus they seem determined to sign Cleary. :scared:

Guest Crymson

Holland has already said that it probably won't happen.

Nyquist and Andersson ARE the priorities... I think even Brendan Morrow is ahead of Dan Cleary on the to do list. Dan Cleary is about as high on that list as walking into a room 20 minutes after someone farts and billowing through the waft of stench...

Guest The Axe

Nyquist and Andersson ARE the priorities... I think even Brendan Morrow is ahead of Dan Cleary on the to do list. Dan Cleary is about as high on that list as walking into a room 20 minutes after someone farts and billowing through the waft of stench...

Babcock just added you to his Steve Buscemi in Billy Madison list!

I wouldn't say that. They have said a couple times now that the offer they made Cleary (that he turned down) is their offer. If he signs elsewhere, they will understand, but if he chooses to accept the Wings offer, and the Wings still have cap space left at that point, then they'll sign Cleary too.

I really don't see Cleary signing elsewhere. How do you explain to your brand new team mates and coaches and media circus that it's ok that your knees are shot and you fall down every shift, because you're a respected leader? Unless we're talking about, like, Florida.

I was listening to. Xm radio and the said that the Wings are working on a deal with Douglas Murray. Anyone knows anything ?

Edited by arag

Guest Crymson

Not a chance. Not only is there no room in any sense, Murray is as slow as they come.

I really don't see Cleary signing elsewhere. How do you explain to your brand new team mates and coaches and media circus that it's ok that your knees are shot and you fall down every shift, because you're a respected leader? Unless we're talking about, like, Florida.

Beyond the physical limitations, it's not like Cleary is incapable of providing value to a team at this stage. The Red Wings don't lack for quality leaders and Cleary was widely respected by his teammates here, so that impact could easily translate to another organization.

I'm not really even advocating for the Red Wings to keep Cleary. I just think the LGW consensus (not you, specifically) has turned Cleary into a villain when he still provides qualities that are necessary to win hockey games.