• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

Awesome! I really feel this past year wasn't indicative of the type of player he is. I'm expecting Smith to regain some of that confidence and swagger that he had in his first dozen games with the Wings. It's tough to find a balance between aggressive playmaking and being defensively responsible, but once it comes together for him and he gets a few more years under his belt, I think he'll become one of the more valuable defenseman throughout the league

#42 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

Filing for arbitration is used quite a bit just to kickstart negotiations & get a deadline out there to get a deal done before it does go to an arbitrator.  It was speculated from the start that Smith filing was nothing more than that.  

It also takes offer sheets from other teams out of the picture.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#43 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

Good term, good cap hit.  No troubles to be had with this one.

#44 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

I like this contract, it's a very good "show us what you've got" contract that puts the ball firmly in Smith's court.  Here's hoping he outperforms it in the near future. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#45 RedStormRising

RedStormRising

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

Well since everyone else likes it... I'll say it's $2.525 million too much!

#46 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

Well since everyone else likes it... I'll say it's $2.525 million too much!

Someone's gotta be that guy.

I like it. Very fair price. Agreed before arbitration. IMO shows both sides got what they wanted. Glad to see Smith is dedicated to the cause.

#47 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:39 PM

Sweet :)

#48 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:26 AM

Good term, great money. Really like Smith, and hope he can mature, slow the game down and grow into what we all believe he can be. Oh and smashing some faces here and there isn't bad either :hehe:

Honestly, if he dropped the gloves just a little bit more often, he'd get cut a hell of a lot more slack from a lot of Wings fans.  Unfortunately he seems more reluctant to do it - I think it was that fight in particular, he got chewed out by Babcock for leaving them a defencemen short.

Same with his big hits.  Ever since he got suspended in the 2011 pre-season, the big hits have stopped.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#49 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:46 AM

Anyone have the link where Bobby Ryan goes after Smith?

After Ryan tries to run Smith and gets boiled over.

Then picks a fight with Smitty and goes down first to the ice.

Definitely wouldn't mind see more of that the next couple of seasons OH YEAH

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 16 July 2013 - 12:46 AM.

#50 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:10 AM

I gotcha

#51 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 751 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:35 AM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWjC-wlMkaw

Edited by arag, 16 July 2013 - 02:36 AM.

#52 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

I gotcha

Ryan looks so bad here. Definitely not his best.

#53 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:30 AM

Ryan looks so bad here. Definitely not his best.

Or Smith just can handle himself like a boss. 

#54 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

Or Smith just can handle himself like a boss. 

Smith is a strong skater, but Ryan is missing a set.

#55 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

Honestly, if he dropped the gloves just a little bit more often, he'd get cut a hell of a lot more slack from a lot of Wings fans.  Unfortunately he seems more reluctant to do it - I think it was that fight in particular, he got chewed out by Babcock for leaving them a defencemen short.

Same with his big hits.  Ever since he got suspended in the 2011 pre-season, the big hits have stopped.

Which is why I want to see Mike McKee work out as a forward instead of sticking to d.  If he ever does make the big club, I would rather he not be limited on when he throws down because of his position.  Easier to do if he's 1 of 12 instead of 1 of 6.

#56 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

Very nice re-sign!

$1.262 is great!  That is the kind of raise I was hoping for! Also good is, after the two years he is still an RFA... I like it!

Only $1M left in cap...Nyquist and Andersson will get at least $1M each....can't wait to see who has to pack their bags!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#57 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

Smith is a strong skater, but Ryan is missing a set.

Yes.  I like Ryan and have made trade scenario after trade scenario for over a year now, but you are correct and that is why today Ryan is a Senator and NOT a Red Wing.

This is the Smith I hope to see more of, not fighting all the time but the aggressiveness and toughness.  He saw the hit coming and reversed it on Ryan and that is what made Ryan look like a punk, even more so than the little tustle... That is the Smith I like.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#58 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

You could pretty look up any post I had about Brendan Smith from April to the present, and it would range from critical to betrayed to outright nasty.  But all of that was coming from a person who was a big Smith backer at the beginning of the year.  The type of step forward that Kindl took by the time of the Playoffs is what I expected Smith to do, only Smith probably has more offensive upside.

...And that still might happen.  Which is why this deal is perfectly fine.  Considering that this team (and most teams) has at least one cap hit the size of Jordin Tootoo's that frequently gets healthy scratched (or is oft injured, like Samuelsson), Smith will have every chance again to be a Top 6 defenseman.  There isn't even a Coliacovo, Ian White, or Kent Huskins-like guy (yet) to take that spot away from him. 

The whole thing that made Smith infuriating is that he appears to HAVE the necessary tools to be a good player.  The mental side of the game just wasn't there last spring.  This is a great cap hit to monitor the next two years, by which point if he hasn't improved, it will be a good time to walk away. 

#59 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

Pretty reasonable. Why did he file for arbitration then? Holland was throwing 700k per year contract offers at him? 

#60 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

Very nice re-sign!

$1.262 is great!  That is the kind of raise I was hoping for! Also good is, after the two years he is still an RFA... I like it!

Only $1M left in cap...Nyquist and Andersson will get at least $1M each....can't wait to see who has to pack their bags!

Neither..I'm pretty sure Kenny will find a way to get both of these guys under contract and I guess the only way he can do that is by trading some other pluggers to free up cap space.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!