• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

If only Big E used his size and Bert was younger; Vladdy was the best that comes to mind

But the current roster, Kronwall

Vladdy paved the way for Kronwall.  The open ice hits Vladdy used to lay on guys would make Kronwall blush.  He no doubt studied the tapes before he started Kronwalling guys.  So to say, the Vladiating of many was passed on to what we now refer to as Kronwalling.  Open ice hits kick ass. 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#22 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

helmer.

#23 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

I think you have to look for the hit often to be considered a 'hitter', so that rules Datsyuk out... though he is most excellent at picking his hits and laying a guy down, totally surprising them in the process.

Kronwall is #1, followed by Tootoo. This seems like a no brainer to me. :D

Edit: I am not counting Helm due to his mostly decommissioned status for the last two seasons.

Edited by RedWingsDad, 16 July 2013 - 01:53 PM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#24 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

Most entertaining: *Kronwall

Most effective over the course of a game: Abby

Person I wouldn't want to be hit by: Tootoo

Best overall (considering being caught out of position the least, effectiveness, game-changing ability, legality / form, and overall impact): *Kronwall

* he has his own verb

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Referees

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#25 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

Most entertaining: *Kronwall

Most effective over the course of a game: Abby

Person I wouldn't want to be hit by: Tootoo

Best overall (considering being caught out of position the least, effectiveness, game-changing ability, legality / form, and overall impact): *Kronwall

* he has his own verb

This is a pretty good analogy.

How about most technically sound? Maybe thats a good way to describe Datsyuk's hitting.

#26 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

Pound for pound means how strong of a hitter you are proportionate to their size. Say Ericsson and Tootoo hit exactly the same (however you would measure that), Tootoo would be the better hitter because he is smaller.

Right, I agree with you.  My point was that.... Tootoo is actually not one of the smaller players on the team when it comes to weight.  There are probably more guys that weigh less than 200 pounds than weigh more.  "Pound for pound" is used more often, as you say with little guys.  I would say that Tootoo is short, but not necessarily little.  Most of the Wings that do weigh more than Tootoo don't have too many pounds on him.  It also implies that the person the phrase is being used in reference to is not, in actuality, the best hitter.  It would seem more accurate (to me) if someone were to use the 'pound for pound' phrase in reference to Kronwall or Helm as both probably weigh 10 pounds or so less than Tootoo.

#27 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

I have to go with Tootoo. He is a nasty sob and is not afraid to take a run at anyone. Babcock needs to use him more effectively next season.  Kronwall is great but needs to deliver them them more often. 

#28 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

Kronwall is the hardest and most dangerous hitter on the team.

Tootoo is the guy most likely to throw checks on every shift, though.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#29 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

I don't know about him consistently, but Ericsson absolutely demolished Bickell during the playoffs, and I doubt anybody else on the team would have been able to do that without taking a pretty serious run.  Ericsson is strong as hell. 

I just went back and watched that highlight.   I miss hockey so much right now.

#30 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

I just went back and watched that highlight.   I miss hockey so much right now.

Insane how equillibrium works!

#31 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:36 AM

Kronwall and Abdelkader, and Abs is the most effective.  When he got stuck on the top line he created so many turnovers with his forechecking, using his speed and size to separate defencemen from the puck.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#32 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

Like hits per game or big hits or just playing the body when you should?

Being Kronwalled aside...

Abby has my vote. 

Kronner leaves his feet to much but he does hit hard. Helm is a good hitter
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#33 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

Can I count Smith as a hard hitter since it felt like he gut punched me every time he couldn't clear the zone in the playoffs and gave it away along the boards near the blue line?

Edited by RedWingsDad, 17 July 2013 - 11:19 AM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#34 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

Can I count Smith as a hard hitter since it felt like he gut punched me every time he couldn't clear the zone in the playoffs and gave it away along the boards near the blue line?

Not to correct your post, but he seemed to give it away up the middle, you know the most dangerous place on the ice to clear the puck!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock