• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Sprsquirt7

Datsyuk Interview

Rate this topic

Straight Pavel gold:

Henrik Zetterberg was named team captain this season. How did he transition to being the captain?

“How? He cut out the letter “C” and stitched it on to his jersey, that’s how.

Gold Jerry, GOLD!

I saw a bit of hype on Twitter for a pending Pavel Datsyuk interview - kind of like the giddy excitement leading up to "Sharknado" last week :)

Pavel Datsyuk is one of most uniquely intriguing athletes I can remember ever following closely. Maybe the whole point is that nobody actually is able to follow him closely. I certainly don't think of him the same way you would think generally about other "Russian players". Even the other Russians, many of which do not like each other, seem to revere him like some sort of deity.

Also, that was a pretty awesomely subtle joke about being behind his Twitter handle, and also the handle of his bicycle and car. I think he actually speaks English better than I do, and is just playing it down as part of his master plan.

Also interesting when he was asked about Sochi and didn't even offer an opinion on it one way or the other. When they ask Ovechkin that question, he almost forgets that he's under contract with the Capitals for about 5 minutes.

I saw a bit of hype on Twitter for a pending Pavel Datsyuk interview - kind of like the giddy excitement leading up to "Sharknado" last week :)

Pavel Datsyuk is one of most uniquely intriguing athletes I can remember ever following closely. Maybe the whole point is that nobody actually is able to follow him closely. I certainly don't think of him the same way you would think generally about other "Russian players". Even the other Russians, many of which do not like each other, seem to revere him like some sort of deity.

Also, that was a pretty awesomely subtle joke about being behind his Twitter handle, and also the handle of his bicycle and car. I think he actually speaks English better than I do, and is just playing it down as part of his master plan.

Also interesting when he was asked about Sochi and didn't even offer an opinion on it one way or the other. When they ask Ovechkin that question, he almost forgets that he's under contract with the Capitals for about 5 minutes.

I said it in another thread where his intelligence was brought up.

He is very smart, but plays dumb very very well!

Do you sometimes feel sorry for the opponents you sometimes make look silly? Like Logan Couture for example?

I don't look at it this way. I look at it completely different. I deked him that time, but he got better because of it. And because he got better, it is now more difficult for our team to play against him. Our opponents get better and stronger every game.

That is some philosophic s*** right there.

Edited by sputman

It's a shame other athletes out there aren't as smart and humble as Pav. Although that is definitely what makes him special and sets him apart from the others. There's nobody else like the guy

Edited by Mike J.

Tell us how does iPhone Siri knows you are the Magic Man?

“How? Well, I picked up the phone and called Apple. I said ‘Let’s do this! It will be a great project!’

"And it turned out to be great, everyone is happy. It was easy. You just need to have the right connections!”

I love Dats. He should be interviewed every game....twice.

A lot of this has to do with the interviewer.

I don't think Pierre gets the same gold from him.

Hey Pavel you remember the time that you deked Couture and he fell down? Yeah, that was sweet. And Pavel, remember the time you ***** slapped Perry? Yeah thatvwad awesome.

Guest The Axe

Hey Pavel you remember the time that you deked Couture and he fell down? Yeah, that was sweet. And Pavel, remember the time you ***** slapped Perry? Yeah thatvwad awesome.

If Pavel went on the Chris Farley show, it wouldnt ever end!

"Muhh rrrr mm member that time when you deked the whole Nashville team?"

"Yup."

"That was awesome."

Guest Crymson

"Yup."

"That was awesome."

Datsyuk was 17 when Farley quit SNL, and 19 when Farley died.

Guest The Axe

I loved that guy.

Tell us how does iPhone Siri knows you are the Magic Man?

“How? Well, I picked up the phone and called Apple. I said ‘Let’s do this! It will be a great project!’

"And it turned out to be great, everyone is happy. It was easy. You just need to have the right connections!”

I love Dats. He should be interviewed every game....twice.

10 bucks!

"Yup."

"That was awesome."

Hey remember that time you tried to kill a funny post? Yeah... that sucked.

Pasha is a gem. He gave me the best laugh I've had in a while. I can't wait to see him in September. I'm hoping for another hug. :blushing:

Guest The Axe

Pasha is a gem. He gave me the best laugh I've had in a while. I can't wait to see him in September. I'm hoping for another hug. :blushing:

I hope u get a kiss!!

Coolest professional athlete I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Sorry for the long post.

My favorite Datsyuk memory: When he first came to Detroit, no one really knew who he was, and no one really believed in him yet. He was still very unproven in North American hockey, and there was a small period of time where I honestly thought we might deal him and/or Zetterberg because they were struggling in the league. At the time, no one really seemed to know who they were yet.

I had just turned 15 and was able to start working for the first summer ever, and I WAS NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT AT ALL! All I wanted to do was be outside playing roller hockey all day with my friends. Anyways, back to the story...

I found a job at Holiday Market (right across from the Detroit Zoo water tower) in Downtown Royal Oak as a cashier, right around the time when they were putting up all of these nice, spacious lofts and condos next door.

I think I had only been working there for a week or so when, one day, I looked up as the outer doors opened and saw Pavel Datsyuk(!) walk through the doors. Like I said, no one really knew who he was yet, so no one reacted. I, however, recognized him instantly, got very excited on the inside (cool as a cucumber on the outside) and without even meaning to, I waved at him.

And he smiled and waved back.

He walked past all of the registers to a little cooler, grabbed an orange Vitamin Water, and came to stand in line behind the other customer in my line. Glancing back, I noticed that there were two other registers next to me that were wide open. He had come to my line on purpose!

When it came time to ring him up, he casually stepped up and handed me his drink to scan. Being 15 and talking to a professional athlete that plays for my favorite team of all time, and that I had already come to love and admire, I was utterly starstruck and tried, unbeknownst to my managers, to give him his drink for free. I said, "You're Pavel Datsyuk, right?" He confirmed it with nothing more than a small grin before glancing down. I handed him the drink and said, "Welcome to Detroit! This one is on me."

He politely declined.

Little side note: His english has gotten a ZILLION times better than what it was when he first got here. He was very, very shy and quiet when he first came here and his english was terrible. I remember when I first met him he communicated a lot by simply smiling and nodding, and seemed to understand it a lot better than he could speak it. Nonetheless, it didn't stop him from striking up conversations with me as time went on, even if I had to ask him to repeat what he had said once or twice, or if he had to ask me to repeat myself.

I rung him out and he was free to leave, but he ended up staying in my line and talking to me for almost 20 mins about things to do in the area because he had JUST moved here, was living in the new condos next door, and was bored out of his mind. I loaded him up with a bunch of ideas and off he went.

A couple days later he came back in, grabbed another Vitamin Water, came back into my line, and proceeded to tell me about all of the things he had gone and experienced in the city. He had played a round or two of golf for the first time ever and loved the courses, although he was admittedly still terrible at golf. He went and saw Lake Huron and Lake Erie. He was so eager to tell me, almost giddy like a child.

From that point on, we talked on a regular basis until summer ended. He came in every day, or every other day, bought the same thing, and talked with me about his day or the past weekend. I can remember the first time I noticed his english getting better because I commented on it and he just beamed and swelled up with pride. I could tell it was a big step for him.

Looking back on it, I can't help but beam a little, myself. That was one of the best summers I have ever had, or will probably ever have. I literally got to sit and talk sports/life with a young, undiscovered Pavel Datsyuk. Even more than that, I feel that we had a certain degree of friendship after awhile. He could have gone to a different store, or even through a different cashier's line, but he didn't. It was always mine. One of the coolest things I have ever experienced.

One of the OTHER coolest experiences in my life? Watching that young, unproven Datsyuk grow into the legend that he is over the past 10 years, and watching him embrace the city of Detroit as we embrace him. He truly is an amazing person and athlete.

Pavs- You're my hero, man. I don't know if you remember me, or if you would recognize me if you saw me on the street, but you made my day 10 or so odd-years ago, and you still make my days today! I am overwhelmingly proud to say that I had the honor of meeting you, getting to know you, and now, getting to watch you change the game of hockey on a nightly basis.

Love you, dude. #13 for LIFE.

Edited by Shutemdown