• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Opie

Maple Leafs plan cup parade?

Rate this topic

Wow the definition of balls:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/7/16/4527990/maple-leafs-stanley-cup-parade-dave-nonis

In Leiweke's opinion, expecting success is a key component to achieving it. That's why he has already planned out a Maple Leafs Stanley Cup Championship parade, via the Washington Post:
"I have it planned out and it's going to be fantastic," Leiweke said yesterday in his first interview since taking over the Toronto-based sports group, which owns the city's National Hockey League franchise, as well as the Raptors basketball team and Major League Soccer's Toronto FC. While employees at MLSE were a little shocked he mentioned winning the Stanley Cup so soon after starting the job on June 3, Leiweke said the company has to focus on results. If you can all dream about that and get that in your mind, we'll have something we're all driven toward," he said he told them.
Edited by Opie

The Power of Positive Thinking.

Welcome to the Grand Illusion.

Both great titles. Take your pick.

On one hand, it makes sense to dream big and have faith that you will see your dream to fruition. On the other hand, it is much easier to plot a course for the parade than to plot a course for winning the cup.

In a game shrouded in superstition, I imagine there are some players who are not too happy about this. I mean you're not even allowed to say shutout until the game is over so I imagine planning a cup parade before the season even starts is gonna drive some people nuts. Leafs go 0-82 this season lol.

In a game shrouded in superstition, I imagine there are some players who are not too happy about this. I mean you're not even allowed to say shutout until the game is over so I imagine planning a cup parade before the season even starts is gonna drive some people nuts. Leafs go 0-82 this season lol.

And in breaking news, Dion Phaneuf has just announced his intention of lifting the Wales Trophy as well instead of just posing next to it.

...and Bettman's already learning how to pronounce Phaneuf so he can invite him to come get the Cup.

I wonder if this was inspired by overhearing Lebda rehearsing his HHOF acceptance speech?

And somewhere Brian Burke is working on a press release claiming credit for all of it

Why do the Leafs always some attention hungry guys? Usually being lowkey and let actions do the talking is the smart thing to do. Lieweky comes off as a really arrogant business first person if he uses Nonis as his puppet Leafs are not going to succeed and his planned parade will be his ticket out of town, what an idiot.

Another great idea of his? From Sportsnet:

Leiweke appears interested create an entirely new culture with the Leafs organization — something that could require stripping down the team’s past.

“Winning, above all, is key to turning Maple Leaf Sports around,” Leiweke said. That means sacrificing a few sacred cows, particularly for the Leafs, who haven’t won a Stanley Cup since grabbing four from 1962 to 1967 despite being the richest team in the NHL.

“I don’t want the players walking in the hallways of the Air Canada Centre and seeing pictures from 1962,” Leiweke told Bloomberg. “Get rid of those pictures and tell them, this is your legacy.”

I'm sure he'll ask his driver for the best route.

WOW!

Listen I get that move with a team with no history, the Panthers, even TBL that has a cup and a little history.

But you are talking about the franchise with the 2nd most cups, O6, long standing tradition and a fan base like that of the Cubs and Red Sox (before the championships).

IMO, you don't just walk in a tear down the history like this is some MLS club that has only been around for about 10 years.

I will be interested to see how long this lasts!

Thats exactly what you get, when you are hiring guys in suits that don't love the sport nor have any passion for tradition. I also like their team but parts of the fanbase and ownership is just arrogant. This guy basically wants to erase a part of the tradition their, what an awful awful thing to do. It is hard for me to imagine players liking this at all.

WOW!

Listen I get that move with a team with no history, the Panthers, even TBL that has a cup and a little history.

But you are talking about the franchise with the 2nd most cups, O6, long standing tradition and a fan base like that of the Cubs and Red Sox (before the championships).

IMO, you don't just walk in a tear down the history like this is some MLS club that has only been around for about 10 years.

I will be interested to see how long this lasts!

Thats exactly what you get, when you are hiring guys in suits that don't love the sport nor have any passion for tradition. I also like their team but parts of the fanbase and ownership is just arrogant. This guy basically wants to erase a part of the tradition their, what an awful awful thing to do. It is hard for me to imagine players liking this at all.

Can you imagine if this were done in Det?

You think Holland gets some s*** now, imagine if the first thing he did was plan a parade and take down the Howe statue?

He would be hung in front of the Joe!

epic.

only Maple Laughs could do something as epic.

as if hockey fans in general had shortage of reasons to laugh at this abysmal franchise. now we'll get one more when Leafs

hit their annual golf course in April... :D

Maybe they should dress a couple more fighters since it's clear that having Orr and McLaren on their fourth line in the playoffs couldn't quite get it done. I mean, it's a recipe for success. First you dress two enforcers who can't play regular shifts, then you tear down some pictures, and then you plan the parade. It's that simple. Good thing they fired Brian Burke, that guy didn't know s*** compared to this bunch.

Edited by kipwinger

Yeah I read the part about canning the stuff from 1962 and that other crap. Newsflash buddy, they won in 1967. A guy who owns the team or whatever that dude is should know and honour the franchises past, not cast it aside. The Leafs are 2nd all time with 12 Cup wins. What's next, take the banners and retired numbers down? Phaneuf can change from #3 to 93. Who's this Gilmour guy?