43 replies to this topic

#21 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:01 AM

epic.

only Maple Laughs could do something as epic.

as if hockey fans in general had shortage of reasons to laugh at this abysmal franchise. now we'll get one more when Leafs

hit their annual golf course in April... :D

#22 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:09 AM

Bad, bad move.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#23 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:17 AM

Like a teenage girl planning her wedding someday...

But, see, that'll actually happen.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#24 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

Maybe they should dress a couple more fighters since it's clear that having Orr and McLaren on their fourth line in the playoffs couldn't quite get it done.  I mean, it's a recipe for success.  First you dress two enforcers who can't play regular shifts, then you tear down some pictures, and then you plan the parade.  It's that simple.  Good thing they fired Brian Burke, that guy didn't know s*** compared to this bunch. 

Edited by kipwinger, 17 July 2013 - 05:37 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#25 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

Thats exactly  what you get, when you are hiring guys in suits that don't love the sport nor have any passion for tradition. I also like their team but parts of the fanbase and ownership is just arrogant. This guy basically wants to erase a part of the tradition their, what an awful awful thing to do. It is hard for me to imagine players liking this at all.

Yeah I read the part about canning the stuff from 1962 and that other crap.  Newsflash buddy, they won in 1967.  A guy who owns the team or whatever that dude is should know and honour the franchises past, not cast it aside.  The Leafs are 2nd all time with 12 Cup wins.  What's next, take the banners and retired numbers down?  Phaneuf can change from #3 to 93.  Who's this Gilmour guy?

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#26 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

Someone should tell this guy to tune it down. Toronto is a tough place if you do not deliver on bold predictions. Read somewhere that Anschutz himself didn't allow him the same kind of influence in LA. After reading about Lieweke's plans this was a very smart thing. Personally I think he is just blowing hot air whit this stuff.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#27 AceInTheSleeve

AceInTheSleeve

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

But you are talking about the franchise with the 2nd most cups, O6, long standing tradition and a fan base like that of the Cubs and Red Sox (before the championships).

Just had to correct you - Detroit has the 2nd most, Toronto 3rd.

#28 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

The Power of Positive Thinking.

Welcome to the Grand Illusion.

Both great titles.  Take your pick.

On one hand, it makes sense to dream big and have faith that you will see your dream to fruition.  On the other hand, it is much easier to plot a course for the parade than to plot a course for winning the cup.

It seems like this guys "power of positive thinking" has paid off for him pretty well.

#29 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

But you are talking about the franchise with the 2nd most cups, O6, long standing tradition and a fan base like that of the Cubs and Red Sox (before the championships).

Just had to correct you - Detroit has the 2nd most, Toronto 3rd.

Try again. The franchise has 13 Cups to Detroit's 11. They have some under the names Arenas and St. Pats, same team different names.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#30 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:44 AM

I can see why they would want to take down the old pictures and stuff - to try and take away the pressure caused by the weight of expectation

BUT

Brian Clough famously tried something similar at Leeds United in the 70s and it was a spectacular failure.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#31 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:09 AM

I can see why they would want to take down the old pictures and stuff - to try and take away the pressure caused by the weight of expectation

BUT

Brian Clough famously tried something similar at Leeds United in the 70s and it was a spectacular failure.

Maple Leafs under MLSE are definition of spectacular failure. and they prove it over and over again.

I'm waiting for their plan to celebrate introduction of Phaneuf to HHOF announced later this season. because... you know...

by Toronto standards this guy is already a lock...

#32 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

Here's a good article by Dave Feschuk in the Toronto Starwith my favourite:

“Getting rid of the pictures in the hallway leading to the locker room is not disrespectful to ’62, ’63, ’64,” Leiweke told the Star’s Cathal Kelly this week. “But for our players, I don’t want any more excuses for them or us. This has to be about a new tradition.”

Solution? Change the name from "Maple Leafs". Problem solved.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#33 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

Rebuilding the Leafs [for the 1000000 time in their history :) ]:

Phase I - Fire Leiweke

Phase II - ???

Phase III - Profit

only needs 3 phases non would include erasing the past.

kftx.jpg

#34 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

Are you sure this isn't taken out of context as a joke?  I live in Toronto and every year its the same joke.  Sign a big player, win a couple games in a row, blow a team out, its always "lets start planning the parade!!".  Leaf fans are aware of it and play into it all the time.  I'm not sure this is any more than Leiweke playing into that joke.

When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#35 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,302 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

Not a joke, per article he literally planned the parade, let us put emphasis on literally

http://sports.yahoo....-135908765.html
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#36 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

Not a joke, per article he literally planned the parade, let us put emphasis on literally

http://sports.yahoo....-135908765.html

HAHAHAHAH - touche

What an idiot.

When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#37 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

Thw Leafs are the 26th most valueable sports franchise. Before everyone goes knocking their model, take a look at the real dollar figures.

#38 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

HAHAHAHAH - touche

What an idiot.

Someone get some serious tablets of reality for this guy, he is going to need it what an idiot. Can't believe the Leafs allowed him to remove a part of their tradition, guy will be gone soon if he doesn't deliver on his bold promises.

kftx.jpg

#39 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

So lets say in 3 years he is gone, do they put all the posters and stuff back up?

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#40 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

So lets say in 3 years he is gone, do they put all the posters and stuff back up?

I guess that heavily depends on the next hot air machine they are going to hire then...*g*

kftx.jpg