• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWingCraig

Alfredsson and the #11

Rate this topic

...forgot that Sheahan wore it, but even so, until him, it's been since Jason Woolley that anyone has worn it? It's a great number, not like it's an odd ball one...I remember Holmstrom wearing it and IMO, he should have kept it. Looked and still looks much better than 96...maybe 15 is reserved for the call-up position and only used until the player chooses another number...

anyhow, Alfie in #11 is a given, Weiss should take #29 (if #15 is Sheahan's...)

Edited by LeftWinger

...forgot that Sheahan wore it, but even so, until him, it's been since Jason Woolley that anyone has worn it? It's a great number, not like it's an odd ball one...I remember Holmstrom wearing it and IMO, he should have kept it. Looked and still looks much better than 96...maybe 15 is reserved for the call-up position and only used until the player chooses another number...

I think the Wings are leaving #29 open for someone's eventual return :glare:

Homer gave it up for Mironov. After that it was worn by Gill, Golubovsky, Verbeek, Kohn, Woolley, and Langfeld.

Yeah, but then we wouldn't have the great story about what Scotty said to him about the number 96.

..It's a great number, not like it's an odd ball one...I remember Holmstrom wearing it and IMO, he should have kept it. Looked and still looks much better than 96...maybe 15 is reserved for the call-up position and only used until the player chooses another number...

Former Detroit Red Wings coach Scotty Bowman once asked Tomas Holmstrom why he chose to wear No. 96.

“That's the year I came here from Sweden,'' Holmstrom said.

“We'll, you should have picked 98,'' Bowman told him, “because that's the year you're going back.''

Bowman loved to needle Holmstrom, but he could take it.

source

Edited by FireCaptain

Ugh I just don't like the number 15 and I honestly have no reason for it. Well I guess my reason is I just don't like the look of it. For some reason when Weiss signed I thought he would have 29 as well, also have no idea where that came from either. Any particular reason my brain would associate Weiss with 29?

Guest The Axe

If he and Sammy are on the wings, who comes back as the retread centre men?

Boyd?

Ha!

Before this devolves into a thread of "can I remember everyone who wore #15 for the Wings?", you can find all of 'em here:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/DET/numbers.html

Back on topic, it should be automatic that Aflie gets #11. As of right now, Cleary isn't a member of the Wings being a UFA & has no claim to the number in my opinion.

Isn't it customary to give the number to the guy who has been in the league longer?

It's looking less and less like Cleary will be back, so it likely won't be an issue anyway.

Please no on Cleary....I get all happy when I read that quote from Kenny, but I just know something is going to happen and they trade 3 forwards to allow him to come back....i just know it. Someone sign him already!!