• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

Well this also can be good thing, hockey is the far superior sport and it doesn't need all the drama, over the top celebrations and endless player fiascos. The fanbase may be smaller but way more passionate, loyal and the athletes are the most down to earth guys in all of sports. Long story short other leagues may be bigger but quality beats quantity 100 out of 100 times. I mean giving a murder a contract would never happen in hockey because gangmembers and other troublemakers do not have a place in hockey. Hello Patriots... The Wings problem is simple: as fans we have been spoiled and since Mr. I has to spend money in order to supsidize teams that should not have a Nhl franchise, instead of trying to built another team like 2002 the interest in watching an only behind the pack team is going down. Personally I would prefer less teams and free spending ;)

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#22 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

Bunch of losers? The Tigers have been to the world series twice in 6 years and are a legit contender for the title. The Pistons have sucked the past few seasons but were title contenders for most of the 2000s (and obv champs in '04). And the Lions, well, the Lions are huge losers, and have basically always been, so you're right about them (making the playoffs in 2011 was the biggest success in years). But don't act like the Wings are the only team in Detroit that can bring the city a Championship. Though I do agree the Red Wings should be number 1 in the state.

No I was talking about just the Lions.

#23 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

Well this also can be good thing, hockey is the far superior sport and it doesn't need all the drama, over the top celebrations and endless player fiascos. The fanbase may be smaller but way more passionate, loyal and the athletes are the most down to earth guys in all of sports. Long story short other leagues may be bigger but quality beats quantity 100 out of 100 times. I mean giving a murder a contract would never happen in hockey because gangmembers and other troublemakers do not have a place in hockey. Hello Patriots... The Wings problem is simple: as fans we have been spoiled and since Mr. I has to spend money in order to supsidize teams that should not have a Nhl franchise, instead of trying to built another team like 2002 the interest in watching an only behind the pack team is going down. Personally I would prefer less teams and free spending ;)

I think that is a great point. You could even take that a step further and suggest that a part of the reason that hockey is so disrespected is because NHL players don't make negative headlines.

Obviously, that is a very backwards statement. I hope I'm wrong, but if I'm not, what does that say about us as a society in general?

Again though, point the finger at ESPN who likes to talk about talk more than anything. They will take a controversial subject and beat it to death.

#24 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

Which is sad.  How many of these players have been in trouble with the law, etc. 

It's a pre-requisite for being a Dallas Cowboy is it not?

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#25 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

The fact that we can have this debate says a lot about hockey in Detroit. You don't have an argument in prolly any other American city.

#26 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

Its 97.1.  I think that is enough said.  They know nothing about hockey.. Their proof for people not liking hockey in Michigan is nobody ever calls in their show to talk about it.  They make this argument all the time.  In reality, nobody calls in because they don't want to talk to THEM about hockey.  Maybe its just because I grew up playing hockey, and everybody I know loves hockey, but it seems like the Wings are up there at the top.  Especially in my home town.  Some of it is also that the Wings have been good for so long, while the Lions and Tigers sucked for that same period, and they are finally getting good.

#27 onemorecup

onemorecup

Jr. Prospect

• 20 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

Weren't the Wings a lot more popular in Detroit in the late 90's, than they are today?

If you asked this question in 95 the answer would be the Wings no.1 hands down. This town was so cup crazy, with that ridiculous drought and how good that team was in the regular season it was gonna be our year. I want Stanley playing on the radio, wings flags from every car it was a beautiful thing till we got swept. Which made finally winning it in 97 all that much more gratifying and to this day I've never seen this town more excited for one team then for the Wings back then. Of course after winning it a few times fans got spoiled and Yzerman and the old school retiring left a disconnect for awhile. Now with the Lions and Tigers being good and still without a title for a long time that hunger has shifted to them and the Wings being good is just old hat now. Just a side note being in Chicago and watching this city after they won their first cup in ages paled in comparison to how crazy Detroit was in 97.

#28 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

The central problem with the argument on 97.1 is (at least when it was first brought up, the only part I heard) they made it seem like people only are interested in one sport.  Most people in the area follow none or all.

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#29 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

Weren't the Wings a lot more popular in Detroit in the late 90's, than they are today?

If you asked this question in 95 the answer would be the Wings no.1 hands down. This town was so cup crazy, with that ridiculous drought and how good that team was in the regular season it was gonna be our year. I want Stanley playing on the radio, wings flags from every car it was a beautiful thing till we got swept. Which made finally winning it in 97 all that much more gratifying and to this day I've never seen this town more excited for one team then for the Wings back then. Of course after winning it a few times fans got spoiled and Yzerman and the old school retiring left a disconnect for awhile. Now with the Lions and Tigers being good and still without a title for a long time that hunger has shifted to them and the Wings being good is just old hat now. Just a side note being in Chicago and watching this city after they won their first cup in ages paled in comparison to how crazy Detroit was in 97.

Agreed.

Do you guys think that the fact that so many of the team "pillars" now are European might have some small effect on how fans relate? I don't think like that personally, but others might. Of the current long term core, only Howard and Abby are North American. Plus, they don't seem like "characters" in the way much of the old crew did.

#30 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:18 PM

Agreed. Do you guys think that the fact that so many of the team "pillars" now are European might have some small effect on how fans relate? I don't think like that personally, but others might. Of the current long term core, only Howard and Abby are North American. Plus, they don't seem like "characters" in the way much of the old crew did.

I absolutely agree with this sentiment. Regardless of whether or not it makes sense, I don't think people can fully embrace the best players on this team for the simple fact that they aren't North Americans.

And for the 97.1 argument, I'm not gonna say that they are hockey gurus, but they can make intelligent conversation. They know the team, they know the identity, they have been saying they want to see Kenny do a lot of the things we mention on here. Unfortunately, idiots out there would rather voice their useless opinion on who the Lions should draft or who the Tigers should pursue via trade.

Let's face it: when you lose, there is more to talk about.

#31 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

Agreed. Do you guys think that the fact that so many of the team "pillars" now are European might have some small effect on how fans relate? I don't think like that personally, but others might. Of the current long term core, only Howard and Abby are North American. Plus, they don't seem like "characters" in the way much of the old crew did.

Helm. Smith, Deke (lashoff, if you want to include him) will all be our new core, with guys like mantha who is also NA

#32 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

Agreed.

Do you guys think that the fact that so many of the team "pillars" now are European might have some small effect on how fans relate? I don't think like that personally, but others might. Of the current long term core, only Howard and Abby are North American. Plus, they don't seem like "characters" in the way much of the old crew did.

A good point also, I think there may be some truth to that:

Our soccerclub here used to have only 3 foreigners, the hockeyclub around 5 both with huge traditions and a huge following after that changed, ratings and interest went down. I think every team needs local heroes because they make it that much easier to identify with the team.

I think having two role model superstars is great but it for sure would help to have some michigan born stars on the team to gain some momentum again.

Also don't forget how spoiled we as Wings fans are, it is hard at least for me to understand why this team does not try to built something like 2002 again.

After all I think if they can fix their conservative approach, become tougher, add local heroes, find the right mix between skill and physicality fans will come back.

Sent from my BlackBerry

Edited by frankgrimes, 17 July 2013 - 10:31 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#33 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

Helm. Smith, Deke (lashoff, if you want to include him) will all be our new core, with guys like mantha who is also NA

Whoops, sorry Helm! My bad.

Yeah, I think DeKeyser will be a really popular "hometown" player in the years to come, maybe moreso than any of the old crew save for Stevie.

#34 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:24 AM

It wouldn't surprise me if UoM and Michigan State teams for football and basketball beat out everything. 

#35 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:38 AM

I absolutely agree with this sentiment. Regardless of whether or not it makes sense, I don't think people can fully embrace the best players on this team for the simple fact that they aren't North Americans.

And for the 97.1 argument, I'm not gonna say that they are hockey gurus, but they can make intelligent conversation. They know the team, they know the identity, they have been saying they want to see Kenny do a lot of the things we mention on here. Unfortunately, idiots out there would rather voice their useless opinion on who the Lions should draft or who the Tigers should pursue via trade.

Let's face it: when you lose, there is more to talk about.

Wha?  I have never heard Valenti or Foster (assuming this is who we are talking about) make an intelligent conversation regarding hockey.  Foster is an absolute idiot when it comes to hockey.  

#36 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:20 AM

I see people wearing Wings gear down here in Toledo literally every day, and see stickers on cars constantly.  (Tigers and Pistons too)  I only occasionally see people repping the Lions.

Edited by sleepwalker, 18 July 2013 - 01:22 AM.

#37 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:21 AM

I think the Tigers and the Lions beat out the Wings. I don't think its always been like this. I'd say the Wings were #1 in the mid/late '90s.

After the core of the dynasty years faded away, I think fan interest decreased a bit. Folks were so used to guys like Yzerman, Shanahan, and Fedorov. Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Osgood, Maltby, Draper, McCarty, Lapointe, etc are all gone. This team had such a great core and team chemistry and had guys that played very long careers in Detroit. It's tough for many fans that grew up with these players (myself included) to see their childhood favorites move on.

Also, I think a lot of people related to guys like Kocur, McCarty, Draper, Maltby, and Lapointe not because of where they were born, but the style of game they played. It's no secret that Detroit is a working class city. People like to see hard work, grit, and snarl that is central to the culture of a beaten up working class city like Detroit. There's a reason Darren Helm got popular so quickly upon his arrival in the NHL.

Having players with ties to the area always helps, but its not necessarily compulsory to gaining the team popularity.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#38 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

I'm glad they're not as popular as the Lions or Tigers. Makes getting tickets easier. 

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy.

#39 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Which is sad.  How many of these players have been in trouble with the law, etc. 

well, ray lewis just won a title..

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#40 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

Hockey is by far the best sport, though it has the worst officiating which is probably due to so many rule changes all the time and deciding what's a penalty. 

Football is 2nd, but I mainly stopped watching cause it gets old quick when every play some overzealous ******* just NEEDS to celebrate the play, no matter what it is.  Holy crapballs!...I ran for 2 yards, here's a pre-cursor to my end zone dance in another 80 yards.

Baseball...home runs are cool, that's about it.  The rest of the game is so painfully boring that if I had to suffer watching an entire game, I'd peel my skin off like a fiending drug addict.

Basketball.  What can I say.  You want a sport that's so much hype...  You can win a championship with 3 good players.  3!  Oh no you di'int just slap my wrist.  Foul!  Look ref, you can see where he slapped me.

Soccer.  They play dead every time someone slide tackles you.  If a football or hockey player (not named Mike Ribeiro) saw that, they would be completely disgusted.

Which brings me back to baseball.  Synchronized swimming is pure excitement compared to that s***.  I'd take the Westminster dog show if given the choice.

Don't knock Westminster.  I love it, and watch it every year.

But I agree with you.  Football and basketball, to me, are egos and paychecks fighting to see which one gets bigger first.  Baseball is so boring, I can read an entire book between pitches (and have actually done so).

I love hockey, and I have since I was a kid.  Of course growing up near Canada  and being able to watch CBC might have had something to do with that, I don't know.  That might also explain why I love curling.  And please don't say that sport is a bore.  It's really a cerebral sport, encompassing geometry, physics and psychology.  Maybe that's why people don't like it - it makes them think.  That might explain why they like a stupid non-thinking game like football instead.

Posted Image