• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Axe

Stars for Cup Wins

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

National teams in soccer put stars in their emblem for the amount of world cups they've won. Do you think it would be cool if hockey teams had a Big star for 10 cups and a little star for 1 cup in their logos? I think that would be kinda cool.

I'm not into soccer at all, so it leaves me kind of underwhelmed. I'm sure if it had some significance for me, it would be cool.

Maybe this means that each sport should cultivate its own traditions, which mean something in that sport, rather than using another sport's ideas.

Guest The Axe

I'm not into soccer at all, so it leaves me kind of underwhelmed. I'm sure if it had some significance for me, it would be cool.

Maybe this means that each sport should cultivate its own traditions, which mean something in that sport, rather than using another sport's ideas.

Good call

National teams in soccer put stars in their emblem for the amount of world cups they've won. Do you think it would be cool if hockey teams had a Big star for 10 cups and a little star for 1 cup in their logos? I think that would be kinda cool.

No

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world, regardless of what haters say.

That said, I'm a big soccer fan, yet I've never really cared for the stars that much. It's the knowledge of a team's history and tradition that makes them special. You don't need to wear stars to tell everyone you have a great history. Everyone knows Brazil has dominated international soccer, because they're Brazil, not because people see the stars and count them.

Same with hockey. You don't need to see how many stars Montreal has to know they've dominated NHL history. You just know it as a student of the game and its history.

That said, I'm a big soccer fan, yet I've never really cared for the stars that much. It's the knowledge of a team's history and tradition that makes them special. You don't need to wear stars to tell everyone you have a great history. Everyone knows Brazil has dominated international soccer, because they're Brazil, not because people see the stars and count them.

Same with hockey. You don't need to see how many stars Montreal has to know they've dominated NHL history. You just know it as a student of the game and its history.

Hey, Italy is just as good as Brazil :(

Is there any evidence to that? I know it is big but the biggest? I used to be pa fan too but after the so called Bosman case I have literally stopped following the Pro leagues, because it is the same everywhere: clubs are selling their souls to shady investors, less and less homegrown talents foreign Gm's acting arrogant against fans while kissing the rear end of some suits and the same 3clubs as champions league favorites every year.

Although I agree the history defines a club not the stars on the chest. Worldwide I would think Baseball and even Football are still biggper.

Is there any evidence to that? I know it is big but the biggest? I used to be pa fan too but after the so called Bosman case I have literally stopped following the Pro leagues, because it is the same everywhere: clubs are selling their souls to shady investors, less and less homegrown talents foreign Gm's acting arrogant against fans while kissing the rear end of some suits and the same 3clubs as champions league favorites every year. Although I agree the history defines a club not the stars on the chest. Worldwide I would think Baseball and even Football are still biggper.

What? :eh:

Football and baseball aren't even remotely as popular worldwide than soccer. What do you mean by bigger? I define it as popularity.

Nobody outside of the USA gives a s*** about American football. Nor should they. And baseball is only relevant in the USA, Japan, and a bunch of third world Caribbean countries that suck at soccer.

Soccer is by far the most popular team sport in the world.

I agree with what you said about the problems facing European leagues right now, but that isn't going to remove the sport from its top status.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Even though I don't like Soccer, there's not much of an argument to be made about it's worldwide popularity. It is hands down the number one sport on the planet, nothing even comes close to comparison.

I don't like the idea of any logo alteration but maybe "ticks" on the jersey sleeve or something would be cool. In the military you get a small stripe on the lower left sleeve for every 3 years of service, so maybe something along those lines for each cup won in franchise history. It doesn't have to be all that noticeable or large but something to permanently represent that team's history integrated on the jersey would be interesting.

Even though I don't like Soccer, there's not much of an argument to be made about it's worldwide popularity. It is hands down the number one sport on the planet, nothing even comes close to comparison.

I don't like the idea of any logo alteration but maybe "ticks" on the jersey sleeve or something would be cool. In the military you get a small stripe on the lower left sleeve for every 3 years of service, so maybe something along those lines for each cup won in franchise history. It doesn't have to be all that noticeable or large but something to permanently represent that team's history integrated on the jersey would be interesting.

I think the Islanders had 4 small stripes on their jerseys at one point in the late 90's-early 2000's to represent their four championships.

What? :eh:

Football and baseball aren't even remotely as popular worldwide than soccer. What do you mean by bigger? I define it as popularity.

Nobody outside of the USA gives a s*** about American football. Nor should they. And baseball is only relevant in the USA, Japan, and a bunch of third world Caribbean countries that suck at soccer.

Soccer is by far the most popular team sport in the world.

I agree with what you said about the problems facing European leagues right now, but that isn't going to remove the sport from its top status.

Baseball and Football are extremely popular in Mexico

Guest The Axe

Baseball and Football are extremely popular in Mexico

Soccer dwarfs them in Mexico. I would bet cricket is ahead of all our sports world wide.

I want stars on hockey jerseys.

Guest The Axe

Don't the Blackhawks add a feather for each win? Pretty sure Toews adds a mustache hair.

Ha ha ha. I hate that guy.

This

Soccer dwarfs them in Mexico. I would bet cricket is ahead of all our sports world wide.

And you would be correct, just on the basis of India's 1 billion plus cricket worshipping fanatics.

If that's the case then Dallas is entirely too proud of their lone cup...

As for Detroit people might get us confused with the Capitals with the red uniform covered with stars lol

How about Banners hanging from the rafters to keep track?

That is dumb... We should use really small stanley cup patches instead of stars, and little conn smythes or lady byngs etc... to show how many trophy's each player has won too, and use the remaining free jersey space for advertisements

Edited by Euro_Twins

Guest The Axe

How about Banners hanging from the rafters to keep track?

What happens at away games?