61 replies to this topic

#41 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

kickboxing_orangutans_in_thailand_14.jpg

Here's a better one Gary and his minions.

Funny+Orangutan_.jpg

Edited by Hockeymom1960, 19 July 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#42 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:47 PM

is it just me or are there a lot more roadtrips and homestands? seems like there are several groupings of 4 or 5 gams on the road and 4 or 5 at home.

They are grouped together. All our west coast games in one trip. Makes travel much easier.

1619431_10152076754861235_68631640462286

#43 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:33 AM

Because of his lockout, Uncle Gary's gift to "the greatest fans in the world" ® is "Metropolitan"?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#44 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

New division names: Hanson, Braden, Dunlap, Ogilthorpe.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#45 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

Because of his lockout, Uncle Gary's gift to "the greatest fans in the world" ® is "Metropolitan"?

The league couldn't just use North, East, South, etc because it would call too much attention to how badly the NHL screwed the Florida teams in the realignment.

The two southernmost teams in the league are in what is essentially the Northeastern division.

#46 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,709 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

Let's be honest:  East, West, Central, and Goulash.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#47 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Grind Line 2.0

• PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

Metropolitan division....

It was originally planned to be called the Metrosexual division due to a certain Pittsburgh Penguin...

"Wow Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too! - Kris Draper"

#48 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

It was originally planned to be called the Metrosexual division due to a certain Pittsburgh Penguin...

Im surprised it wasnt called the Crosby division.

#49 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

Not a huge fan of it, but geez, it's not the end of the world.  I heard the suggestion of Continental instead, and I liked that better.  Other than Carolina, there aren't any other teams geographically close to Florida.  So I don't really see how they were "screwed". 

#50 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

Not a huge fan of it, but geez, it's not the end of the world.  I heard the suggestion of Continental instead, and I liked that better.  Other than Carolina, there aren't any other teams geographically close to Florida.  So I don't really see how they were "screwed". 

You really dont see a problem with the Florida teams in our division? There is an entire division between them and the rest of the new Atlantic division

1619431_10152076754861235_68631640462286

#51 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

I think the idea was that a lot of hockey fans in Florida are transplants from that area, and they wanted to keep the Bettman division teams close enough to drive to the games

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#52 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

The Florida teams were put there in consideration of the large numbers of Canadians living in Florida.  If you put the two Florida teams in the Metro Conference, then there are two other teams that have to move. One could be Columbus, but then which other one?  You can't split up the 3 NY area teams.  Pitt and Philly need to be in the same division.  If you moved Washington or Carolina, there'd be complaints about that, too.  There's an overabundance of teams in the Northeastern United States and Canada and few in the Southern US.  It seems logical that there would be an imbalance in some way or that some team would be unhappy with the realignment. 

#53 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

If you're referring to my comments on Florida's division placement, I don't recall saying it was the end of the world.  But they definitely got screwed.  

Out west it's an inevitability that teams will have long travel.  In the east that's less the case.  The Florida teams closest division rival is further away than at least 5 or 6 teams in other divisions.  Doesn't this map seem a little odd?

Attached File  nhl-realignment-bigger.png   341.64KB   10 downloads

#54 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

The Florida teams were put there in consideration of the large numbers of Canadians living in Florida.

link?

If you put the two Florida teams in the Metro Conference, then there are two other teams that have to move. One could be Columbus, but then which other one?  You can't split up the 3 NY area teams.  Pitt and Philly need to be in the same division.  If you moved Washington or Carolina, there'd be complaints about that, too.  There's an overabundance of teams in the Northeastern United States and Canada and few in the Southern US.  It seems logical that there would be an imbalance in some way or that some team would be unhappy with the realignment.

Why can't you split up 3 NY teams? Pitt and Philly don't need to be in the same division.

Of course there will be some imbalance and some teams will be at least moderately unhappy with it. That doesn't make it a bad plan. But to put the two southernmost teams in the whole league in the same division as all the northeast teams is pretty ridiculous.

This restructuring it's pretty clear which teams hold more sway with the league.

#55 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

From Puck Daddy (audio of Q&A included):

Sidney Crosby, upon hearing his division is now named the Metropolitan: "Is it really?"

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#56 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,709 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

If you're referring to my comments on Florida's division placement, I don't recall saying it was the end of the world.  But they definitely got screwed.  

Out west it's an inevitability that teams will have long travel.  In the east that's less the case.  The Florida teams closest division rival is further away than at least 5 or 6 teams in other divisions.  Doesn't this map seem a little odd?

attachicon.gifnhl-realignment-bigger.png

Ok, back on track...

They could have put Colorado in the west (giving them 8 teams) and put the Florida teams in the middle (with Colorado gone, this would bring that to 8), then moved Columbus up with the northeast (giving us 7 and the central atlantic 7).

Edited by 55fan, 20 July 2013 - 01:04 PM.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#57 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

Seems like the Florida teams were added into the Division with us, Toronto, Boston, etc. because they'd get more market exposure, and as such their owners would be more likely to vote for the realignment plan.  If I owned the Lightening and the league came along and told me that my team was now going to be in a division with Carolina, Nashville, Washington, Florida, etc. I would never vote for it.  You are going to make exactly ZERO money if you aren't any good, and never play anyone who's any good, in markets nobody cares about.  But play large market teams four or five times a year is a much better deal for a s***ty team.  Tampa and Florida didn't get screwed, they got payed off in order to get their vote for a realignment plan which is good for pretty much everybody else except them.

Edited by kipwinger, 20 July 2013 - 10:10 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#58 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

Seems like the Florida teams were added into the Division with us, Toronto, Boston, etc. because they'd get more market exposure, and as such their owners would be more likely to vote for the realignment plan.  If I owned the Lightening and the league came along and told me that my team was now going to be in a division with Carolina, Nashville, Washington, Florida, etc. I would never vote for it.  You are going to make exactly ZERO money if you aren't any good, and never play anyone who's any good, in markets nobody cares about.  But play large market teams four or five times a year is a much better deal for a s***ty team.  Tampa and Florida didn't get screwed, they got payed off in order to get their vote for a realignment plan which is good for pretty much everybody else except them.

Spot on. These teams need to be in the division with the large market teams. Better money to keep them alive.

#59 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,239 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

Seems like there's been backlash about the "Metropolitan" thing from hockey fans around the league.

Maybe the league will change it due to unrest?  Maybe?  

As for the Florida teams, the league should think about moving one to Quebec and the other to Saskatoon.  Tampa becomes the Quebec Nordiques and Florida becomes the Saskatoon Panthers.  Obviously, this would take several seasons to happen.    

Edited by GMRwings1983, 20 July 2013 - 10:46 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#60 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:55 PM

Miami should have football and nothing else. 5 or 6 Saturdays and 8 Sundays you can draw people. 81 baseball games or 41 NHL or NBA games, there's too much other stuff to do. The panthers were doomed from day 1.