• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

NHL Participation at Sochi cleared by IIHF

Rate this topic

I was just going to ask about this. Can't wait to see the dumb...I mean cool names they come up with. =)

Conference 1: Penguins Conference

Division 1: Crosby Division

Division 2: Malkin Division

Conference 2: Blackhawks Conference

Division 1: Toews Division

Division 2: Kane Division

Looks about right......

I thought it was interesting on http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=678198&navid=DL|DET|home it says that

"The league schedule will go on a two-week hiatus in February to allow players to compete in the Olympic in Sochi, Russia. While suspending the regular season isn’t ideal for the league, it’s conceivable that some Red Wings – most likely Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Niklas Kronwall, Jonathan Ericsson, Daniel Alfredsson, Jimmy Howard and Justin Abdelkader – could represent their countries in the Olympics."

... it seems the writer felt that Abdelkader was at least the 7th most likely Red Wing to participate in the Olympics... ahead of Johan Franzen.

I thought it was interesting on http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=678198&navid=DL|DET|home it says that

"The league schedule will go on a two-week hiatus in February to allow players to compete in the Olympic in Sochi, Russia. While suspending the regular season isnt ideal for the league, its conceivable that some Red Wings most likely Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Niklas Kronwall, Jonathan Ericsson, Daniel Alfredsson, Jimmy Howard and Justin Abdelkader could represent their countries in the Olympics."

... it seems the writer felt that Abdelkader was at least the 7th most likely Red Wing to participate in the Olympics... ahead of Johan Franzen.

Maybe franzenstein has told them he doesn't want to participate

From an article by Dave Feschuk , Toronto Star:

Less than seven months from the opening ceremony, the 2014 Olympics are already promising to be one of the most controversial in history — and that’s just among the folks in the accounting department. Various reports suggest that the costs of the Games have careered out of control. The price to run Sochi, initially budgeted at $12 billion, is said to have reached $50 billion according to a recent article in The Economist. (The Vancouver Olympics, by contrast, billed out at about $9 billion.) There are accusations that widespread corruption is gobbling up large chunks of this cash. Critics of Vladimir Putin are already suggesting that the Russian president’s most famous act of sporting larceny is no longer the petty pocketing of Robert Kraft’s Super Bowl ring.

Today's fun fact: Sochi is more southerly than Vancouver.

From an article by Dave Feschuk , Toronto Star:

Less than seven months from the opening ceremony, the 2014 Olympics are already promising to be one of the most controversial in history — and that’s just among the folks in the accounting department. Various reports suggest that the costs of the Games have careered out of control. The price to run Sochi, initially budgeted at $12 billion, is said to have reached $50 billion according to a recent article in The Economist. (The Vancouver Olympics, by contrast, billed out at about $9 billion.) There are accusations that widespread corruption is gobbling up large chunks of this cash. Critics of Vladimir Putin are already suggesting that the Russian president’s most famous act of sporting larceny is no longer the petty pocketing of Robert Kraft’s Super Bowl ring.

Today's fun fact: Sochi is more southerly than Vancouver.

There's this thingy called "elevation" apparently....

Guest The Axe

Should have been Gretzky, Howe, Orr and Lemieux

Or go back to Adams, Patrick, Smythe and Norris.

The Crosby, Toews, Malkin, and Kane divisions. Bettman ear to ear.

"The league schedule will go on a two-week hiatus in February to allow players to compete in the Olympic in Sochi, Russia. While suspending the regular season isn’t ideal for the league, it’s conceivable that some Red Wings – most likely Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Niklas Kronwall, Jonathan Ericsson, Daniel Alfredsson, Jimmy Howard and Justin Abdelkader – could represent their countries in the Olympics."

I don't think Abby will make the USA roster, but he was very good for them in the Worlds two years ago.

Guest Crymson

Should have been Gretzky, Howe, Orr and Lemieux

Or go back to Adams, Patrick, Smythe and Norris.

In regards to the first, something tells me that certain organizations would not enjoy playing under banners named for former arch-nemeses.

In regards to the first, something tells me that certain organizations would not enjoy playing under banners named for former arch-nemeses.

So does Boston or Pittsburgh not play in the division named for their icon?

It's about honoring the biggest names in the game's history. I would say all four of these players are well respected, so as to not offend teams.

Personally, I wish they went back to the second option I posted. But many people have complained that those names weren't well known to people outside of hockey circles, so that's why I proposed Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr.

Anything is better than the Metropolitan division. :bored:

It's about honoring the biggest names in the game's history. I would say all four of these players are well respected, so as to not offend teams.

Personally, I wish they went back to the second option I posted. But many people have complained that those names weren't well known to people outside of hockey circles, so that's why I proposed Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr.

Anything is better than the Metropolitan division. :bored:

At least Cindy will be in the metro section...