• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

NHL Participation at Sochi cleared by IIHF

Rate this topic

I see Babcock is going to be Canada's head coach again for the Olympics. No surprise really.

But I will be cheering against you Babs :P

Team Canada is run by Red Wings and former Red Wings.

Yzerman as director of operations, Babcock as coach and Holland as GM I believe. And everyone on TSN in "Your Call" is blowing Quennville hard saying that he should be on there, and maybe even replace Babcock as head coach. Maybe next time if Canada doesn't win it this time, but Quennville, just like Bylsma won with teams full of 1st round picks after their team tanked for a decade to get the picks. Babcock has a team full of guys most of which worked their bags off just to get to the NHL and coached them within 1 goal of eliminating the mighty Hawks.

People need to know there's a difference between "coaching" and just plain old running lines. Babcock is a great coach, Quennville is a good coach that relies on 2 lines.

Team Canada is run by Red Wings and former Red Wings.

Yzerman as director of operations, Babcock as coach and Holland as GM I believe. And everyone on TSN in "Your Call" is blowing Quennville hard saying that he should be on there, and maybe even replace Babcock as head coach. Maybe next time if Canada doesn't win it this time, but Quennville, just like Bylsma won with teams full of 1st round picks after their team tanked for a decade to get the picks. Babcock has a team full of guys most of which worked their bags off just to get to the NHL and coached them within 1 goal of eliminating the mighty Hawks.

People need to know there's a difference between "coaching" and just plain old running lines. Babcock is a great coach, Quennville is a good coach that relies on 2 lines.

I'm American so I always cheer on the USA team no matter what. Nothing against the Wings staff involved with team Canada. And yes Babs is a great coach. If they didn't win the Olympics last time I think Babs would have been out. Needless to say Quennville I could take him or leave him.

I'm just dying looking at the potential for team Canada.

USA is scary good in net though and Russia and Sweden have good teams as usual. Sucks that I don't get to cheer for any Red Wings during Sochi though.

Me three! What a huge year for that kid! Excited to see him play this year.

No kidding. Wings sign him and then plays with the big boys, then goes and plays with the Griffins and they win the Calder Cup and now invited to possibly play in the Olympics. Now I know we're going to win the Cup this coming season :w00t:

Edited by Hockeymom1960

Looking at the invites, it is obvious Canada is the team to beat. Their forward depth is through the roof, the defense is stacked only ? is their goaltending. I also really like the more balanced roster Sweden is trying to build, then the US and of course Russia - Pasha on a line with Malkin is scary but I don't think they have the defense or goaltending to get the job done.

Really happy for Dekeyser and Howard and a huge statement. Too bad not one Wing is playing for team Canada.

Yeah DD getting an invite is quite surprising.

No way we makes the team though.

Looking at the invites, it is obvious Canada is the team to beat. Their forward depth is through the roof, the defense is stacked only

I believe honestly that team Canada much like Brazil in World Cup soccer could ice 2 yes 2 teams at this level. They're depth is that good.

Yeah DD getting an invite is quite surprising.

No way we makes the team though.

I believe honestly that team Canada much like Brazil in World Cup soccer could ice 2 yes 2 teams at this level. They're depth is that good.

Agreed they are that good in hockey but also a lot of credit has to go to Sweden they are barely 1/3 the size of Canada and are doing an amazing job with developing talent.

Guest Crymson

Maybe. You would think Sweden would be guaranteed at least some sort of medal this tourney. But last tourney as an example it wasn't the case.

The Swedes were horribly coached in 2010.

I didn't read all the pages, but am I in the minority when I say, I cannot stand NHL players in the Olympics? (same for NBA)

This is an amateur tournament and there are TONS of U18 kids out there from EVERY country participating that would make this an exciting tournament. Even a more fair tournament. Just look at all the World Juniors Tourneys every year these are great exhibitions of amateur talent. We do not need a 40 year old Alfredsson playing for Sweden when the Olympics were set up to be Amatuer. Sure, back in the day when Russia would send their professionals to the games, there was an argument for Canada and US doing the same, but now, the U18 kids all around the world are on par wit each other and I think would be more entertaining to watch than a bunch of all-star games in two weeks...just my opinion,

Steve Yzerman *IS* Canada.

Yet he is an American citizen...hmmm....

I didn't read all the pages, but am I in the minority when I say, I cannot stand NHL players in the Olympics? (same for NBA)

This is an amateur tournament and there are TONS of U18 kids out there from EVERY country participating that would make this an exciting tournament. Even a more fair tournament. Just look at all the World Juniors Tourneys every year these are great exhibitions of amateur talent. We do not need a 40 year old Alfredsson playing for Sweden when the Olympics were set up to be Amatuer. Sure, back in the day when Russia would send their professionals to the games, there was an argument for Canada and US doing the same, but now, the U18 kids all around the world are on par wit each other and I think would be more entertaining to watch than a bunch of all-star games in two weeks...just my opinion,

Yet he is an American citizen...hmmm....

I would guess that yes, you are in the vast minority. I don't think I could disagree with you more.

It's only like a bunch of all star games if we lived in a world where all of the players on each all star team want to win every all star game REALLY badly because each one matters a LOT to them. That sounds pretty awesome to me.... except that's not what all star games are actually like. But, it is what the Olympics are like. Why would anyone prefer to watch a bunch of kids compete instead of watching the actual best players in the world? If that's the case, the NHL should get rid of all these really good players and sign some children.

I totally see your point, but it's about the people of the countries representing their country. Pro athletes are people and citizens too.

For the ones who have traveled half-way around the world, it gives them a chance to give something back to their home country.

I'm old enough to remember the Miracle on Ice, and that was an awesome underdog story if there ever was one, but each country wants to send its best. In most cases, the best turn pro.