• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:03 AM

According to TSN he didn't, but this Larson and Karlson pairing will be hard to contain over 60 minutes thats for sure.

Maybe. You would think Sweden would be guaranteed at least some sort of medal this tourney. But last tourney as an example it wasn't the case. 

#42 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:06 AM

Maybe. You would think Sweden would be guaranteed at least some sort of medal this tourney. But last tourney as an example it wasn't the case. 

The Swedes were horribly coached in 2010.

#43 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

yzerman_steve640.jpg

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#44 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

yzerman_steve640.jpg

Steve Yzerman *IS* Canada.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#45 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

"THE" GM. Ha!

#46 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

I didn't read all the pages, but am I in the minority when I say, I cannot stand NHL players in the Olympics? (same for NBA)

This is an amateur tournament and there are TONS of U18 kids out there from EVERY country participating that would make this an exciting tournament. Even a more fair tournament.  Just look at all the World Juniors Tourneys every year these are great exhibitions of amateur talent.  We do not need a 40 year old Alfredsson playing for Sweden when the Olympics were set up to be Amatuer.  Sure, back in the day when Russia would send their professionals to the games, there was an argument for Canada and US doing the same, but now, the U18 kids all around the world are on par wit each other and I think would be more entertaining to watch than a bunch of all-star games in two weeks...just my opinion,

Steve Yzerman *IS* Canada.

Yet he is an American citizen...hmmm....

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#47 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

I didn't read all the pages, but am I in the minority when I say, I cannot stand NHL players in the Olympics? (same for NBA)

This is an amateur tournament and there are TONS of U18 kids out there from EVERY country participating that would make this an exciting tournament. Even a more fair tournament.  Just look at all the World Juniors Tourneys every year these are great exhibitions of amateur talent.  We do not need a 40 year old Alfredsson playing for Sweden when the Olympics were set up to be Amatuer.  Sure, back in the day when Russia would send their professionals to the games, there was an argument for Canada and US doing the same, but now, the U18 kids all around the world are on par wit each other and I think would be more entertaining to watch than a bunch of all-star games in two weeks...just my opinion,

I would guess that yes, you are in the vast minority. I don't think I could disagree with you more.

It's only like a bunch of all star games if we lived in a world where all of the players on each all star team want to win every all star game REALLY badly because each one matters a LOT to them. That sounds pretty awesome to me.... except that's not what all star games are actually like. But, it is what the Olympics are like. Why would anyone prefer to watch a bunch of kids compete instead of watching the actual best players in the world? If that's the case, the NHL should get rid of all these really good players and sign some children.

#48 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

Which makes it all the more impressive! :lol:

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#49 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

I totally see your point, but it's about the people of the countries representing their country.  Pro athletes are people and citizens too.

For the ones who have traveled half-way around the world, it gives them a chance to give something back to their home country.

I'm old enough to remember the Miracle on Ice, and that was an awesome underdog story if there ever was one, but each country wants to send its best.  In most cases, the best turn pro.