• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 krsmith17

krsmith17

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

As everyone knows, we didn't offer Alan Quine a contract before June 1st, so he was eligible to re-enter this years draft. He was picked up by the Islanders and attended their training camp this week and showed off some pretty slick moves in the shootout...

http://video.nhl.com...=262877&lang=en

I thought for sure we were going to give this kid a contract but I guess management just didn't see the potential. I still think we should have given him a shot and let someone else go, there were options in someone like Parkes, Coetzee or Raedeke...

I'm not saying Quine ever had or has the potential to be a big time player in the NHL but to me, he definitely has a lot more potential then the other guys I listed, younger with more upside in my opinion. Well it wouldn't be the first player let go and it won't be the last, I just hope this one doesn't come to bite them in the @ss.

Players that re-enter the draft and turn out to become full-time impact NHLers aren't that plentiful but there are a few. Some of these players include...

Craig Anderson (drafted #77 in 1999 by Calgary and then re-drafted #73 in 2001 by Chicago)

Nick Boynton (drafted #9 in 1997 by Washington and then re-drafted #21 in 1999 by Boston)

Tim Brent (drafted #37 in 2002 by Anaheim and then re-drafted #75 in 2004 again by Anaheim)

Matthew Lombardi (drafted #215 in 2000 by Edmonton and then re-drafted #90 in 2004 by Calgary)

Nathan Paetsch (drafted #58 in 2001 by Washinton and then re-drafted #202 in 2003 by Buffalo)

Jarret Stoll (drafted #46 in 2000 by Calgary and then re-drafted #36 in 2002 by Edmonton)

Mike Zigomanis (drafted #64 in 1999 by Buffalo and then re-drafted #46 in 2001 by Carolina)

Maybe Quine will turn out to be a Lombardi or Stoll for the Islanders. I personally, wish the kid the best of luck and hope Kenny regrets letting him walk... :glare:

#2 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

Did they not offer one or did he refuse to sign it?

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#3 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

Did they not offer one or did he refuse to sign it?

He was never offered a pro contract.  And no, the Wings didn't let one get away.  Far better prospects in the system that deserved pro contracts over him.

#4 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

Nice job on the post. Some nice information there to back up the basis for your question.

That's all I got, though. I don't know anything about this kid.

#5 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

So from what I've seen on him:

Pros: Quick, might have some offensive upside (been inconsistent in juniors), good work ethic

Cons: Small, lacking on the defensive side of the game

When you're drafted as a Darren Helm (based on comments from the Wings brass) type of player and your defensive game doesn't develop, you're just not going to get offered a pro contract when the organization is already at/near the 50 player roster limit.

#6 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

Meh.  He never amounted to much for me in NHL 12, GM mode.  Besides, we have no shortage of forward prospects his size. 

Only time will tell.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#7 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

Let's consider which team drafted him.. Any decision by Snow is the wrong decision.

#8 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

Wait, what? I thought this was another Hudler thread...

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#9 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

We are moving on from small, euro, puck possessors. We need guys who can light the lamp.

#10 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

Meh.  He never amounted to much for me in NHL 12, GM mode.  Besides, we have no shortage of forward prospects his size. 

Only time will tell.

Well there's the definitive answer

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#11 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

We are moving on from small, euro, puck possessors. We need guys who can light the lamp.

Quine was born in Ottawa.

#12 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

We are still moving on.

#13 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:17 AM

Yeah, get your facts straight, Mr. Axe. 

I hope he breaks out into the pros, I do. 

#14 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

He's a soft euro based on size.  Birthplace is irrelevant.

To me, Lilja was a tough Canadian boy born in Saskatoon.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#15 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

Like Emdog?

#16 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

Like Emdog?

Best 4th line center in the league.

#17 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

Like Emdog?

Best 4th line center in the American Hockey league.

Fixed

#18 krsmith17

krsmith17

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

He was never offered a pro contract.  And no, the Wings didn't let one get away.  Far better prospects in the system that deserved pro contracts over him.

LOL... I love how you claim to "know" how this kid or any kid in our system is going to pan out... I'm not expecting him to be the next big thing coming out of the Ontario Hockey League, however I'm pretty confident that there are at least 5 other guys in our system that have a hell of a lot less potential than Quine. The kid is only 20 years old and scoring over a point per game in the OHL, has a ton of speed and is good in the faceoff circles. He will continue to work on his game and in my opinion will be a solid NHLer in a few years, much more than I can say for a handful of other guys we currently have under contract...

#19 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

You can't be really serious right? Just cause he showed some slow motions highlights when the goalie wasn't even trying ... ?

#20 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

LOL... I love how you claim to "know" how this kid or any kid in our system is going to pan out... I'm not expecting him to be the next big thing coming out of the Ontario Hockey League, however I'm pretty confident that there are at least 5 other guys in our system that have a hell of a lot less potential than Quine. The kid is only 20 years old and scoring over a point per game in the OHL, has a ton of speed and is good in the faceoff circles. He will continue to work on his game and in my opinion will be a solid NHLer in a few years, much more than I can say for a handful of other guys we currently have under contract...

LOL...and I love how you claim to "know" that there are 5 other guys in the system that "have a hell of a lot less potential" than a junior player that the organization decided hadn't developed enough to warrant dropping one of those prospects & offering him a contract.   You see the hypocrisy in that statement?