• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

Did we let one get away?

Rate this topic

As everyone knows, we didn't offer Alan Quine a contract before June 1st, so he was eligible to re-enter this years draft. He was picked up by the Islanders and attended their training camp this week and showed off some pretty slick moves in the shootout...

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hdpid=49&id=262877〈=en

I thought for sure we were going to give this kid a contract but I guess management just didn't see the potential. I still think we should have given him a shot and let someone else go, there were options in someone like Parkes, Coetzee or Raedeke...

I'm not saying Quine ever had or has the potential to be a big time player in the NHL but to me, he definitely has a lot more potential then the other guys I listed, younger with more upside in my opinion. Well it wouldn't be the first player let go and it won't be the last, I just hope this one doesn't come to bite them in the @ss.

Players that re-enter the draft and turn out to become full-time impact NHLers aren't that plentiful but there are a few. Some of these players include...

Craig Anderson (drafted #77 in 1999 by Calgary and then re-drafted #73 in 2001 by Chicago)

Nick Boynton (drafted #9 in 1997 by Washington and then re-drafted #21 in 1999 by Boston)

Tim Brent (drafted #37 in 2002 by Anaheim and then re-drafted #75 in 2004 again by Anaheim)

Matthew Lombardi (drafted #215 in 2000 by Edmonton and then re-drafted #90 in 2004 by Calgary)

Nathan Paetsch (drafted #58 in 2001 by Washinton and then re-drafted #202 in 2003 by Buffalo)

Jarret Stoll (drafted #46 in 2000 by Calgary and then re-drafted #36 in 2002 by Edmonton)

Mike Zigomanis (drafted #64 in 1999 by Buffalo and then re-drafted #46 in 2001 by Carolina)

Maybe Quine will turn out to be a Lombardi or Stoll for the Islanders. I personally, wish the kid the best of luck and hope Kenny regrets letting him walk... :glare:

So from what I've seen on him:

Pros: Quick, might have some offensive upside (been inconsistent in juniors), good work ethic

Cons: Small, lacking on the defensive side of the game

When you're drafted as a Darren Helm (based on comments from the Wings brass) type of player and your defensive game doesn't develop, you're just not going to get offered a pro contract when the organization is already at/near the 50 player roster limit.

Guest The Axe

We are moving on from small, euro, puck possessors. We need guys who can light the lamp.

We are moving on from small, euro, puck possessors. We need guys who can light the lamp.

Quine was born in Ottawa.

Yeah, get your facts straight, Mr. Axe.

I hope he breaks out into the pros, I do.

He was never offered a pro contract. And no, the Wings didn't let one get away. Far better prospects in the system that deserved pro contracts over him.

LOL... I love how you claim to "know" how this kid or any kid in our system is going to pan out... I'm not expecting him to be the next big thing coming out of the Ontario Hockey League, however I'm pretty confident that there are at least 5 other guys in our system that have a hell of a lot less potential than Quine. The kid is only 20 years old and scoring over a point per game in the OHL, has a ton of speed and is good in the faceoff circles. He will continue to work on his game and in my opinion will be a solid NHLer in a few years, much more than I can say for a handful of other guys we currently have under contract...

LOL... I love how you claim to "know" how this kid or any kid in our system is going to pan out... I'm not expecting him to be the next big thing coming out of the Ontario Hockey League, however I'm pretty confident that there are at least 5 other guys in our system that have a hell of a lot less potential than Quine. The kid is only 20 years old and scoring over a point per game in the OHL, has a ton of speed and is good in the faceoff circles. He will continue to work on his game and in my opinion will be a solid NHLer in a few years, much more than I can say for a handful of other guys we currently have under contract...

LOL...and I love how you claim to "know" that there are 5 other guys in the system that "have a hell of a lot less potential" than a junior player that the organization decided hadn't developed enough to warrant dropping one of those prospects & offering him a contract. You see the hypocrisy in that statement?

You can't be really serious right? Just cause he showed some slow motions highlights when the goalie wasn't even trying ... ?

Yes... That's exactly what I'm basing it on... Did you not read anything else in this post and just come to the conclusion that I am basing my opinion solely on this shootout goal? I could care less about the move he pulled off in the shootout. I have been saying ever since the team failed to sign him a couple months ago that I thought they would end up regreting it. The point is, there were so many other options they could have let go and given this kid a shot.

How does one not see the upside and potential to a 20 year kid that has been improving every step of the way to a 22/23+ year old that has showed little to no upside... I would prefer to keep a kid out of junior that has the potential to become an NHLer rather than keep a career AHLer / ECHLer...

LOL...and I love how you claim to "know" that there are 5 other guys in the system that "have a hell of a lot less potential" than a junior player that the organization decided hadn't developed enough to warrant dropping one of those prospects & offering him a contract. You see the hypocrisy in that statement?

Since when is "I'm pretty confident" stating "knowing"?...... Funny how that is the only part of the quote that you left out.. lol

Developed enough at 19/20 years old? Ok...... Anyway, there is no sence arguing about such an unknown, only time will tell. You can make an argument that you don't believe this kid will become anything but just don't claim to "know"...

Yes... That's exactly what I'm basing it on... Did you not read anything else in this post and just come to the conclusion that I am basing my opinion solely on this shootout goal? I could care less about the move he pulled off in the shootout. I have been saying ever since the team failed to sign him a couple months ago that I thought they would end up regreting it. The point is, there were so many other options they could have let go and given this kid a shot.

How does one not see the upside and potential to a 20 year kid that has been improving every step of the way to a 22/23+ year old that has showed little to no upside... I would prefer to keep a kid out of junior that has the potential to become an NHLer rather than keep a career AHLer / ECHLer...

You are entitled to your opinion. I would definitely agrue with your wording in one spot. I would say that the team "chose not to sign" rather than "failed to sign." And, that would be a decision that was made by people that have more than likely seen Quine a hell of a lot more than you have (unless you are his dad or something) and are way more in the know about what the organization needs/doesn't need at the moment. Career AHL players have their roles in organizations as well... just look at last year's Calder Cup winning Grand Rapids Griffins roster.

Edited by barabbas16

You are entitled to your opinion. I would definitely agrue with your wording in one spot. I would say that the team "chose not to sign" rather than "failed to sign." And, that would be a decision that was made by people that have more than likely seen Quine a hell of a lot more than you have (unlessI'm you arebought his dadinjury/concussion or something) and are way more in the know about what the organization needs/doesn't need at the moment. Career AHL players have their roles in organizations as well... just look at last year's Calder Cup winning Grand Rapids Griffins roster.

I'm aware that they chose not to sign him, and that's all it is right now but IF he ends up having a better career than a handful of guys in our system then I would say that they "failed to sign him". If he chose not to sign then this point would be moot but the fact that they had every oportunity to get this guy under contract and IF he pans out it would be bad call on behalf of the scouts and Mr. Holland.

I'm aware teams need career AHLers in their system, and that is exactly why I was happy with the resigning of guys like Hoggan, Evans, Grant and Paetsch a couple weeks ago. But a team also needs to look at the players with the best shot at making the bigs.

Anyway, this topic has gone too far. I'm not saying that not signing Quine is going to stunt the Red Wings in any way, I'm just saying I think there were better options to drop rather than this kid.. Like I said, Only time will tell...

Since when is "I'm pretty confident" stating "knowing"?...... Funny how that is the only part of the quote that you left out.. lol

Developed enough at 19/20 years old? Ok...... Anyway, there is no sence arguing about such an unknown, only time will tell. You can make an argument that you don't believe this kid will become anything but just don't claim to "know"...

And funny how I actually never used the word know/knowing in my original posts yet you decide to quote me on it....lol

I guess it makes "sence" to ask you then who the Wings should have not signed prior to June 1 of this year to fit him on the 50 man roster then. Since Quine was drafted up through the June 1 deadline of this year to sign him, here's who the Wings have signed including contract extensions. I'm including signings at the NHL level not just prospects because Quine was as much competing for a spot on the 50 man roster with those as he was w/ other prospects:

May 2013: Alexi Marchenko, Nick Jensen

April 2013: Jared Coreau, Jimmy Howard

March 2013: Dan DeKeyser

February 2013: Brian Lashoff

September 2012: Carlo Colaiacovo, Justin Abdelkader

August 2012: Tomas Jurco, Martin Frk

July 2012: Kyle Quincey, Marek Tvrdon, Max Nicastro, Jonas Gustavsson, Jordin Tootoo, Damien Brunner

June 2012: Darren Helm

May 2012: Teemu Pulkkinen

April 2012: Riley Sheahan

March 2012: Xavier Ouellet, Ryan Sproul

February 2012: Todd Bertuzzi

October 2011: Niklas Kronwall, Peter Mrazek, Fabian Brunnstrom

July 2011: Francis Pare, Jordan Pearce, Ty Conklin, Joey MacDonald, Chris Conner, Jonathan Ericsson, Patrick Eaves, Drew Miller, Mike Commodore

OK master NHL scout, who do you not sign (and not using 20/20 hindsight vision btw i.e. signing Quine over Colaiacovo because he was always injured) in order to squeeze Quine on the 50 man roster?