• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Each NHL Team's Mount Rushmore

Rate this topic

Saw a similar thread on an NFL site, so I thought we’d have one too.

After some back and forth, I decided if there ever was a Mount Rushmore for a team, the team itself would decide the players. So that’s what I went with. Basically, who the franchise would likely pick.

I also decided to include GM’s or coaches where I thought appropriate.

BTW, for those posters who are from overseas and may not know what Mount Rushmore is, it’s a mountain in the United States that has the faces of four US presidents carved into it, in the form of a sculpture. Hence, we’re looking for a hypothetical mountain for each NHL team, with only 4 spots available for their biggest legends.

Anaheim – Selanne, Kariya, Niedermayer, Getzlaf

Yeah, I omitted the guy with the giant pads. Two great playoffs, but I don’t remember him doing much else. Niedermayer, on the other hand, did a lot for them during his stint and captained them to their only Cup. Getzlaf has been the face of the Ducks for some time now. Selanne and Kariya are locks.

Boston – Orr, Shore, Bourque, Esposito

I think they’re the four best players in Boston history, and arguably all four are top 10 all time NHL players. The easiest original six team I had to deal with.

Buffalo – Perreault, Hasek, Martin, Andreychuk

Perreault and Hasek are no brainers. Andreychuk is second only to Perreault in most major offensive categories for Buffalo. Martin was a very good winger on that French Connection line. I had a hard time leaving Housley off the list. I guess he’s underrated after all. As for recent memory, I quickly dismissed Ryan Miller and Lindy Ruff, despite their longevity. Not good enough to make the mountain.

Calgary – Iginla, MacInnis, Fleury­, Vernon.

I put Vernon ahead of McDonald or Kiprusoff. Like Kipper, he was a mainstay, but I think Vernon is more memorable, partly because he was there for their only Cup and partly because the Flames have been terrible for many years under Kipper (not all his fault). Lanny McDonald and his stache would look great on a Mount Rushmore. He captained them to their only Cup and remains immensely popular. However, his last few years in Calgary were too underwhelming, as he played a smaller role on the team. I don’t know how you can keep Iginla, Fleury or MacInnis off the mountain.

Carolina – Francis, Brind’Amour, Staal, Wesley

Any arguments here? Maybe Cam Ward or Kevin Dineen? I’m content with these selections.

Chicago – Mikita, Hull, Esposito, Hall

Probably the four biggest names in Hawks history. Denis Savard and Pierre Pilote both have deserving arguments as well, but I had a hard time thinking any of the above wouldn’t make it.

Colorado/Quebec – Sakic, Forsberg, Roy, Stastny

Foote’s face is too ugly to be on any monument. Besides, Stastny was a much better player than him. Other three I don’t expect anyone to argue.

Columbus – Nash, Vyborny, Mason, Umberger,

What do you expect? Their history has been a joke so far.

Dallas/Minnesota – Modano, Broten, Ciccarelli, Goldsworthy

Goldsworthy was the face of the franchise in the early days. Zubov and Hatcher I came close to including, but maybe they cancelled each other out, because I didn’t choose either. Broten and Cicarelli carried the team in the 80’s and were long mainstays. Modano is the best player in franchise history.

Detroit – Howe, Yzerman, Lindsay, Lidstrom

Yzerman and Howe are locks. I think Lidstrom would get in, but I can see the team omitting him over older legends. I changed Sawchuk and Lindsay three times, before finally choosing Lindsay. Sawchuk died young, while Lindsay continues to be an ambassador for the franchise. He’d likely get the nod for that reason. Delvecchio I had to snub as well, because there’s just not enough spots.

Edmonton – Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Fuhr

Ultimately took Fuhr over Kurri. Kurri was a much better player comparatively, but he was another great forward on a team loaded with them. Fuhr would probably get the nod popularity wise. Coffey is the best offensive defenseman behind Orr. As for Gretzky and Messier, they probably already have a Mount Rushmore somewhere in north Alberta.

Florida –Jokinen, Vanbiesbrouck, Mellanby, Bure

I came close to leaving Bure off, but he did take them to the playoffs “once” (which in their history is no small achievement). He had some fantastic years in Florida individually. Mellanby and Jokinen were there forever. Vanbiesbrouck carried them to their only Finals appearance and was their first real star. Luongo is the guy I can envision possibly getting there ahead of Bure or Mellanby. Unfortunately, Luongo was there for some very unmemorable years.

Los Angeles – Gretzky, Dionne, Robitaille, Taylor

I doubt anyone can argue the first three choices. I took Taylor over Rogie Vachon. He was there over 15 years, scored 1,000 points and was their GM for about a decade. He’s a Kings legend.

Minnesota – Gaborik, Lemaire, Backstrom, Koivu

I still forget that Lemaire is no longer their coach. He shaped the style that team played for so many years and what they became known for around the NHL. The other choices are all better than any alternatives I could think of.

Montreal – Richard, Beliveau, Lafleur, Plante

This one wasn’t as tough as you’d think. I think Howe Morenz is probably a top 10 all time NHL player, but he’s not as remembered as say a Rocket Richard. Richard and Believeau are worshipped in Montreal. So is Lafleur. I picked Plante ahead of Dryden. In this case, the four most legendary and beloved players in franchise history are also the best, and deserve to be there.

Nashville – Trotz, Legwand, Weber, Timonen

Trotz is their only coach, so he has to get in. Legwand is nothing special but he’s been there basically since they began. Timonen and Weber carried them during their stints. I guess you could argue either Rinne or Vokoun should be there. In a few years, Rinne will be there for sure.

New Jersey – Lamoriello, Brodeur, Stevens, Elias

I picked Elias ahead of John MacLean (not that guy from Die Hard). It was close as one of those two is the franchise’s all time best forward. Lamoriello is a no-brainer. He built their franchise. Don’t think anyone will argue Brodeur or Stevens. Daneyko and Niedermayer were great, but I can’t remove anyone for them.

New York Islanders – Yashin, Snow, Milbury, Kvasha……...........JK…………….Real list is Trottier, Bossy, Potvin, Arbour

Trottier, Bossy and Potvin are locks. Arbour coached the team for like 20 years. BTW, if anyone wants to start their own joke Mount Rushmore thread, go for it.

New York Rangers – Leetch, Messier, Richter, Gilbert

Realistically, guys like Cook, Howell and Bathgate should be on this monument. However, Rangers fans are so obsessed with the 1994 team (because they didn’t win squat for so long before that), that I see their Mount Rushmore being driven by recent history. Gilbert has to get in because he holds the team records for goals and points and was a great forward.

Ottawa – Alfredsson, Phillips, Redden, Spezza

Pretty easy selections. Phillips is nothing special but has played 1,000 games for the franchise. Redden seems like last decade’s news, but he was a very good defenseman for them for years. Spezza has been a star for a while now. Alfie is obvious. Heatley and Hossa didn’t play there long enough to get in.

Phoenix/Winnipeg – Hawerchuk, Doan, Numminen, Tkachuk

Thomas Steen is the only guy I feel bad for not including. It was between him and Tkachuk, but I decided Tkachuk was too good a player to leave off. Before anyone mentions Selanne, he didn’t play enough games there.

Philadelphia – Clarke, Parent, Barber, Lindros

First three were easy. Lindros, despite the way he left the franchise, I think would make it. There seems to be more reconciliation between him and the club in recent years. Many of us younger fans will remember him more than any other Flyer, and I suspect it’ll be that way for some time. If eva still posted on LGW, he’d put Mark Howe ahead of Lindros.

Pittsburgh – Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin

Certainly the four best players in franchise history. Don’t think I could rank anyone above them.

San Jose – Marleau, Thornton, Nabokov, Nolan

Another slam dunk for me.

St Louis - Hull, Federko, Sutter, MacInnis,

Confident about this one too. Hull and Federko are the best offensive players they ever had. Sutter was the heart and soul of the Blues and was a really good player. MacInnis over Pronger was an easy choice in the end. MacInnis was there longer and is more respected by Blues fans.

Tampa Bay – Lecavalier, St. Louis, Richards, Stamkos

Stamkos was the bubble choice, but I think he’s already earned the right to be there. He’s the current face of the Lightning. Richards has been gone a few years, but I still think he’d get in. Kubina is too ordinary a player to be ahead of any of these guys.

Toronto –Armstrong, Broda, Sittler, Sundin

Along with the Rangers, this was the toughest. Lot of older legends left off, like Apps and Conacher. Armstrong captained them to all those Cups in their glory days, and played more games than any Leaf. He has to be there. Broda was their goalie for about 15 years! Sittler was an offensive tour de force for them over 10 years, before Sundin broke many of his team records. Dave Keon wouldn’t likely get a spot, because there’s been a rift between him and the Leafs for several decades now. He’d refuse it.

Vancouver –Naslund, Smyl, Linden, Sedin twins

Naslund, Linden and Smyl I was confident about. I couldn’t decide which Sedin should get the 4th spot, until I realized………..……it’s the same freaking face on Mount Rushmore. :lol: So included them both under one spot. Also, Pavel Bure is the best player in Canucks history, but the way he left the franchise and them not retiring his number, makes me think he wouldn’t get on the mountain.

Washington – Ovechkin, Hunter, Bondra, Kolzig

Ovechkin and Bondra were the Caps’ star players during their eras. Hunter was the leader of the team for a long time. I admit that I snubbed Mike Gartner big time. He was a much better player than the overrated Kolzig, but Kolzig was a Capital so long that he’s “The” Capitals goalie in franchise history. I think he’ll be more remembered as a Cap, ultimately.

Winnnipeg/Atlanta – Kovalchuk, Kozlov, Enstrom, Pavelec

LOL. I know. I even thought of putting Eric Boulton on here.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest The Axe

I like all your picks, but there are a few pioneers from Ottawa Silver 7 days that would be swapped for the ones you listed. You nailed Montreal due to the herritage, butI still cringe at leaving Larry Robinson off their mountain. Pocket Rocket and Morenz get honorable mention. Only one you are way off on is Winnepeg. Leaving Bobby Hull off their mountain is a sin!

I like all your picks, but there are a few pioneers from Ottawa Silver 7 days that would be swapped for the ones you listed. You nailed Montreal due to the herritage, butI still cringe at leaving Larry Robinson off their mountain. Pocket Rocket and Morenz get honorable mention. Only one you are way off on is Winnepeg. Leaving Bobby Hull off their mountain is a sin!

Thanks for reading all that.

I only looked at NHL teams during the NHL era. Winnipeg played in the WHA when Hull was there, and Ottawa's early successes under a different hockey association I didn't include.

You know a lot more about NHL history than I do.

The only thing I would change would be to add Garth Butcher on to Vancouver's. Mainly because he is an acquaintance of mine. Ha ha

And has one of the greatest names in NHL history.

Guest The Axe

Thanks for reading all that.

I only looked at NHL teams during the NHL era. Winnipeg played in the WHA when Hull was there, and Ottawa's early successes under a different hockey association I didn't include.

And has one of the greatest names in NHL history.

I liked reading it. This is a cool thread.

Guest The Axe

Thanks.

I just feel bad that egroen and evaunitzero aren't around anymore to set me straight. And I say that humbly.

Ha! What happened to them?

Like the thread but i think Atlanta could be an asterisk and Winnipeg and Phoenix should be 100% separate. Jets would be Hawerchuk, Selanne, Steen and Bobby Hull from the WHA days.

Coyotes...i guess Doan, Roenick, Tkachuk and Numminen

Except, it's all the same franchise. For instance, Tkachuk and Numminen played for both Phoenix and Winnipeg as they were present during the move.

Then again, you have a point. If there's going to be a monument in the city of Winnipeg, I doubt they'd want Kovalchuk's face on it. ;)

Except, it's all the same franchise. For instance, Tkachuk and Numminen played for both Phoenix and Winnipeg as they were present during the move.

Then again, you have a point. If there's going to be a monument in the city of Winnipeg, I doubt they'd want Kovalchuk's face on it. ;)

Or Doan's. I for one would do not upstanding citizen type things to his smug face. Kovalchuk's Mount Rushmore is definitely in the KHL where his heart and family are, or he'd be on the Atlanta one along with Heatley and 2 other Thrashers alumni.

As a Winnipegger, I think of Jets as Hawerchuk and then Selanne in his rookie season scoring 76 goals, 1 game I was at he scored 4 goals and the Jets won 7-6 and young Khabibulin, Zhamnov, fit Tkachuk, Housley, Numminen, pre-Wings Essensa, $1 Draper, Tie Domi and laughing at Igor Ulanov. The Jets are in no way the Coyotes. They are their own independent failure which the players and the team moved from Winnipeg to become a new franchise, the Coyotes. The Winnipeg Jets were gone for 16 years or so, and then we got a new franchise here, to say, when Atlanta lost their team, unfortunately for them as we here know how it feels. So I like to think that there was just a 16 year hiatus between Jets seasons, and the Coyotes franchise is 16 years old.

Not to derail your thread though, cause I think it's really cool.

And for the Leafs, I'd throw in an argument for Doug Gilmour to be on there. And LaFontaine would be on Buffalo or NYI.

Or Doan's. I for one would do not upstanding citizen type things to his smug face. Kovalchuk's Mount Rushmore is definitely in the KHL where his heart and family are, or he'd be on the Atlanta one along with Heatley and 2 other Thrashers alumni.

As a Winnipegger, I think of Jets as Hawerchuk and then Selanne in his rookie season scoring 76 goals, 1 game I was at he scored 4 goals and the Jets won 7-6 and young Khabibulin, Zhamnov, fit Tkachuk, Housley, Numminen, pre-Wings Essensa, $1 Draper, Tie Domi and laughing at Igor Ulanov. The Jets are in no way the Coyotes. They are their own independent failure which the players and the team moved from Winnipeg to become a new franchise, the Coyotes. The Winnipeg Jets were gone for 16 years or so, and then we got a new franchise here, to say, when Atlanta lost their team, unfortunately for them as we here know how it feels. So I like to think that there was just a 16 year hiatus between Jets seasons, and the Coyotes franchise is 16 years old.

Not to derail your thread though, cause I think it's really cool.

And for the Leafs, I'd throw in an argument for Doug Gilmour to be on there. And LaFontaine would be on Buffalo or NYI.

Well, I won't argue with a Winnipeg fan on Winnipeg business. I will add that Selanne played 4 seasons in Winnipeg, and was injured for one year, and traded in another. He only played two full seasons there, one of them being the strike shortened 1995 year. The 76 goal season stands out as the only reason to include him, but I didn't think it was enough.

Doug Gilmour is not close to being one of the best Leafs ever. Popular as he was, no way in hell he makes their Mount Rushmore. I left off much better players than him like Apps, Conacher, Keon and others. Hell, I think Wendel Clark was a better Leaf in his time than Gilmour.

LaFontaine was great. However, he only played seven seasons for Buffalo, and was injured for about half of them. His time in New York was better, but no way he makes their Mount Rushmore over Potvin, Trottier, Bossy or Arbour.

What about each team's Mt Trashmore. Get to work, GMR!!!

Nah, I'm spent.

I did one for the Isles, so that should give you some inspiration and ideas.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest The Axe

Red Kelly is top 4 for Toronto for sure.

Bathgate for sure for the Rangers.

Red Kelly is top 4 for Toronto for sure.

Bathgate for sure for the Rangers.

Forgot to add Kelly as one of the notable omissions. Who would you take off for him, though? Remember, he played less than 10 seasons there. The others were there longer and had their own Hall of Fame credentials.

Bathgate is certainly better than any player I included for the Rangers, but sadly, they don't seem to honor their older players like other teams do. That's why I said recent players would probably get the nod.

Nix Sundin. He never won.

Too popular and was there too long. Never left *in his prime* to pursue a Cup elsewhere and holds many team records.

Kelly was a better player than him, but I don't think he'd get the honor from the franchise over their beloved Sundin.

*Nevermind. I forgot the big oaf went to Vancouver. :lol: But it was for a short time and he was past his prime. Besides, Bourque never won in Boston, but that doesn't diminish his popularity there. Winning depends on many things.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest The Axe

Too popular and was there too long. Never left *in his prime* to pursue a Cup elsewhere and holds many team records.

Kelly was a better player than him, but I don't think he'd get the honor from the franchise over their beloved Sundin.

*Nevermind. I forgot the big oaf went to Vancouver. :lol: But it was for a short time and he was past his prime. Besides, Bourque never won in Boston, but that doesn't diminish his popularity there. Winning depends on many things.

Just change it. No "but"s.

Ha! Just kiddin.

Puck Daddy had a whole series of these with writers from each team doing them. jagr ended up on 3 mt rushmores and a big joke about 'no jagr?' came up and was pretty funny. i agree with almost all the original ones posted here though.

I just feel bad that egroen and evaunitzero aren't around anymore to set me straight. And I say that humbly.

Eva still posts on HFboards, and still the same unique combination of irrational man-love for Chiasson, Hudler and Kopecky, obscure statistical justifications, and well thought out, rational posts :lol:

For Buffalo, did you consider Mogilny? Only 4 seasons, but one of the greatest goal scoring seasons in NHL history.

Only real question for Detroit is Sawchuk or Lindsay. I think I'd go for Sawchuk personally, although when John Buccigross did this a few years ago he actually had Mike Ilitch on there, which is a great shout IMO.

This was an entertaining read, I lived in Atlanta during the early years of the Thrashers so this is the only reason why I would substitute one guy on that list. Ray Ferraro was a big part of the leadership and development during the early years, was part of the pretty dominant line of Ferraro Kovalchuk and Brunette and I think he has earned his spot in the great Atlanta Mount Rushmore monument. I'd likely slot him in for Pavelec.

Other than that very awesome list, really well thought out and shows a pretty vast knowledge of NHL history. There's even a few I didn't necessarily recognize like Goldsworthy that I had to look into. Props for your extensive NHL non-Wings brains.

Eva still posts on HFboards, and still the same unique combination of irrational man-love for Chiasson, Hudler and Kopecky, obscure statistical justifications, and well thought out, rational posts :lol:

For Buffalo, did you consider Mogilny? Only 4 seasons, but one of the greatest goal scoring seasons in NHL history.

Only real question for Detroit is Sawchuk or Lindsay. I think I'd go for Sawchuk personally, although when John Buccigross did this a few years ago he actually had Mike Ilitch on there, which is a great shout IMO.

Does eva still talk about how many post-season All stars a guy had? :lol:

Mogilny would be in the same boat Selanne is in for Winnipeg. One amazing season, but not the longevity others had. Like I said, Housley is the guy that I maybe should have included for Buffalo.

Mike Ilitch doesn't belong on a Mount Rushmore. This franchise was legendary before he arrived there. I don't know if any owner in hockey is that big a name, like say Al Davis or Jerry Jones in football.

This was an entertaining read, I lived in Atlanta during the early years of the Thrashers so this is the only reason why I would substitute one guy on that list. Ray Ferraro was a big part of the leadership and development during the early years, was part of the pretty dominant line of Ferraro Kovalchuk and Brunette and I think he has earned his spot in the great Atlanta Mount Rushmore monument. I'd likely slot him in for Pavelec.

Other than that very awesome list, really well thought out and shows a pretty vast knowledge of NHL history. There's even a few I didn't necessarily recognize like Goldsworthy that I had to look into. Props for your extensive NHL non-Wings brains.

Ferraro is a good one. I thought of him, but he only played there two full seasons. He was important in the early days, but I would think Heatley would get in over him if we disregard longevity.

Puck Daddy had a whole series of these with writers from each team doing them. jagr ended up on 3 mt rushmores and a big joke about 'no jagr?' came up and was pretty funny. i agree with almost all the original ones posted here though.

Jagr on three Mount Rushmores? That must have been a joke, or else people think hockey started in 1999.