• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Each NHL Team's Mount Rushmore

Rate this topic

mason is now hated by cbj

john h mcconnell, the original owner would be on there for sure.

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=47964

id have mcconnell, nash, vborny, klesla

might even have coach hitchcock on there over one of the last two

I would travel hundreds of miles to see that mountain. :lol:

Nash was the only guy I included with a straight face.

Eva still posts on HFboards, and still the same unique combination of irrational man-love for Chiasson, Hudler and Kopecky, obscure statistical justifications, and well thought out, rational posts :lol:

For Buffalo, did you consider Mogilny? Only 4 seasons, but one of the greatest goal scoring seasons in NHL history.

Only real question for Detroit is Sawchuk or Lindsay. I think I'd go for Sawchuk personally, although when John Buccigross did this a few years ago he actually had Mike Ilitch on there, which is a great shout IMO.

Does eva still talk about how many post-season All stars a guy had? :lol:

Mogilny would be in the same boat Selanne is in for Winnipeg. One amazing season, but not the longevity others had. Like I said, Housley is the guy that I maybe should have included for Buffalo.

Mike Ilitch doesn't belong on a Mount Rushmore. This franchise was legendary before he arrived there. I don't know if any owner in hockey is that big a name, like say Al Davis or Jerry Jones in football.

This was an entertaining read, I lived in Atlanta during the early years of the Thrashers so this is the only reason why I would substitute one guy on that list. Ray Ferraro was a big part of the leadership and development during the early years, was part of the pretty dominant line of Ferraro Kovalchuk and Brunette and I think he has earned his spot in the great Atlanta Mount Rushmore monument. I'd likely slot him in for Pavelec.

Other than that very awesome list, really well thought out and shows a pretty vast knowledge of NHL history. There's even a few I didn't necessarily recognize like Goldsworthy that I had to look into. Props for your extensive NHL non-Wings brains.

Ferraro is a good one. I thought of him, but he only played there two full seasons. He was important in the early days, but I would think Heatley would get in over him if we disregard longevity.

Puck Daddy had a whole series of these with writers from each team doing them. jagr ended up on 3 mt rushmores and a big joke about 'no jagr?' came up and was pretty funny. i agree with almost all the original ones posted here though.

Jagr on three Mount Rushmores? That must have been a joke, or else people think hockey started in 1999.

The franchise was in the toilet when Mr. I bought them. If it wasn't for him they'd still be a bigger joke than the Leafs.

The franchise was in the toilet when Mr. I bought them. If it wasn't for him they'd still be a bigger joke than the Leafs.

The Wings were a joke for a long time under Ilitch. It wasn't until Bowman got there and they started spending big money, that the Wings became good. He's a good owner, but an owner has to be the face of a franchise to get on a list like this. Hence, I mentioned names like Al Davis, George Steibrenner and Jerry Jones. I wouldn't put Ilitch up there with them.

In any case, if you include him, you'd have to take someone off. Meaning, two of Lindsay, Lidstrom or Sawchuk wouldn't be there.

Edited by GMRwings1983

They missed the playoffs 3 times since he bought the team. It may have taken awhile to get to the top but I don't know about them being a joke. If he hadn't been smart enough to hire good hockey people then get out of the way and give them time to work, we wouldn't have a team this good now.

And for the most part when the owner is the face of the franchise he eventually gets in the way of success.

Anyway you go with only putting 4 names on the list of Wings you're leaving people off who deserve it

Guest The Axe

I'd prefer Sawchuk over Lindsey, just because I want to see this pic carved into 200 ft. of stone. Totally Badass!!!!!

tumblr_lstjx6XTXL1qea3q5o1_500.jpg

I cant believe how crazy hockey goalies were.

I would respectfully disagree with Andreychuk as the 4th choice in Buffalo. Now to ME as a Mt. Rushmore and the face of the franchise forever is was Waterford's Own Patty La-la-la-la-la-la-la LaFontaine. I'd put him on for sure.

I would respectfully disagree with Andreychuk as the 4th choice in Buffalo. Now to ME as a Mt. Rushmore and the face of the franchise forever is was Waterford's Own Patty La-la-la-la-la-la-la LaFontaine. I'd put him on for sure.

If you look at how few games he played there in his 7 seasons, you'll understand why I didn't include him.

He did have a remarkable 1993 season, though, like so many guys that year. And he was immensely popular and a better player than Andreychuk. I can see the argument.

If you look at how few games he played there in his 7 seasons, you'll understand why I didn't include him.

He did have a remarkable 1993 season, though, like so many guys that year. And he was immensely popular and a better player than Andreychuk. I can see the argument.

Yeah i watched the show on the NFL when they did this and sometimes stats or years were let's say brushed aside for other factors. I felt like LaFontaine fell into that category.

Since you combined teams that moved like Colorado/Quebec and Phoenix/Winnipeg why didnt you combine Carolina with the Hartford Whalers?

Good question.

Probably because the four guys I chose would have made it on Carolina merit alone, regardless of what some of them accomplished in Hartford.

I guess you could say that about Jersey too, which is why I didn't list Kansas City/Colorado together with New Jersey. Then again, Hartford is a more memorable NHL franchise than the Scouts or Rockies were.

Edited by GMRwings1983

The Wings were a joke for a long time under Ilitch. It wasn't until Bowman got there and they started spending big money, that the Wings became good. He's a good owner, but an owner has to be the face of a franchise to get on a list like this. Hence, I mentioned names like Al Davis, George Steibrenner and Jerry Jones. I wouldn't put Ilitch up there with them.

Difference between Ilitch and the 3 you mention is that he isn't a publicity *****. He is the perfect owner - he puts up the money, he puts the right people in the right places, and then he stands back and lets them get on with it.

This franchise was a joke when Ilitch took over, and remained a standing joke for years while he worked his ass off to turn it around. Now they are a model of unprecedented success under a system that actively works to undermine constant success. No-one calls them the Dead-Things anymore.

Eva still posts on HFboards, and still the same unique combination of irrational man-love for Chiasson, Hudler and Kopecky, obscure statistical justifications, and well thought out, rational posts :lol:

For Buffalo, did you consider Mogilny? Only 4 seasons, but one of the greatest goal scoring seasons in NHL history.

Only real question for Detroit is Sawchuk or Lindsay. I think I'd go for Sawchuk personally, although when John Buccigross did this a few years ago he actually had Mike Ilitch on there, which is a great shout IMO.

That's what I was thinking when i mentioned LaFontaine for Buffalo/NYI. Him and Mogilny were insane together. Especially in NHL games on Sega :lol:

I cant believe how crazy hockey goalies were.

Now they can't even get grazed by a guy without playing dead. Hang that on the wall for goalies to see.

Guest Crymson
Buffalo – Perreault, Hasek, Martin, Andreychuk

Perreault and Hasek are no brainers. Andreychuk is second only to Perreault in most major offensive categories for Buffalo. Martin was a very good winger on that French Connection line. I had a hard time leaving Housley off the list. I guess he’s underrated after all. As for recent memory, I quickly dismissed Ryan Miller and Lindy Ruff, despite their longevity. Not good enough to make the mountain.

You forgot Taro Tsujimoto.

Ditto for NBA

I guess I don't follow basketball enough to know that. I like football, so I follow it, but it cheeses me to see these guys who have it all throw it away like that. Yes, I feel the same way about hockey players who've done that too.

At least we still have baseball. I don't follow that either, but there can't be any drugs in something so wholesome that's as all-American as apple pie and hot dogs, right?

Um. Right?

Guest The Axe

Sorry for a late reply...I'm just messing with ya...In fact it's a great topic for discussion as we eagerly await the start of the 2013/2014 season.

70 days!!!