• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Each NHL Team's Mount Rushmore

Rate this topic

I saw the thread title and I was hoping this would be a photoshop thread. Great thread though. Anyone with the skills want to take a shot at doing some of the major ones?

Doc Holliday had good photoshop skills. Would take way too long to conjure him, though. ;)

Guest Crymson

Doc Holliday had good photoshop skills. Would take way too long to conjure him, though. ;)

He's at HF now.

Sorry for a late reply...I'm just messing with ya...In fact it's a great topic for discussion as we eagerly await the start of the 2013/2014 season.

I'm just disappointed you didn't argue with me for omitting Grimson from the mountain. :tounge:

He's at HF now.

Damn. Another guy you and I scared away.

I would definitely argue Illitch over Lindsay as well. He's just responsible for so many more far reaching decisions and actions than a single player can be. He essentially took us from the the grave to a model sports franchise in twenty years and has continued that high level for another 13 and counting. Holland and Yzerman would almost certainly point to him when asked about some of their own successes.

I would definitely argue Illitch over Lindsay as well. He's just responsible for so many more far reaching decisions and actions than a single player can be. He essentially took us from the the grave to a model sports franchise in twenty years and has continued that high level for another 13 and counting. Holland and Yzerman would almost certainly point to him when asked about some of their own successes.

But Howe, Lindsay, Sawchuk, Delvecchio, Abel and others wouldn't point to Ilitch as being responsible for their successes.

The Red Wings aren't the Dallas Mavericks. The franchise was legendary before Ilitch got there. No way he trumps a Ted Lindsay off the mountain.

Toronto –Armstrong, Broda, Sittler, Sundin

Along with the Rangers, this was the toughest. Lot of older legends left off, like Apps and Conacher. Armstrong captained them to all those Cups in their glory days, and played more games than any Leaf. He has to be there. Broda was their goalie for about 15 years! Sittler was an offensive tour de force for them over 10 years, before Sundin broke many of his team records. Dave Keon wouldn’t likely get a spot, because there’s been a rift between him and the Leafs for several decades now. He’d refuse it.

I would have included Doug Gilmour in there, but that's just me.

New York Islanders – Yashin, Snow, Milbury, Kvasha……...........JK…………….Real list is Trottier, Bossy, Potvin, Arbour

Trottier, Bossy and Potvin are locks. Arbour coached the team for like 20 years. BTW, if anyone wants to start their own joke Mount Rushmore thread, go for it.

Goaltender Billy Smith maybe? He was behind several of the 4 straight cup wins

Tampa Bay – Lecavalier, St. Louis, Richards, Stamkos

Stamkos was the bubble choice, but I think he’s already earned the right to be there. He’s the current face of the Lightning. Richards has been gone a few years, but I still think he’d get in. Kubina is too ordinary a player to be ahead of any of these guys.

I might put Phil Esposito on there since he was originally one of the people behind getting the franchise started, but again just my opinion

Winnnipeg/Atlanta – Kovalchuk, Kozlov, Enstrom, Pavelec

LOL. I know. I even thought of putting Eric Boulton on here.

You could save time and just put Big Buff on twice since he takes up 2 people :lol:

Guest The Axe

I am not a Toronto fan, but I'd say Tim Horton, Matts Sundin,Teeder Kennedy and Wendel Clark. For Detroit I'd say: Howe, Sawchuk, Yzerman and Lidstrom.

Our alumni squad could kick any other team's ass!!

Yzerman-Fedorov-Shanahan

Lidstrom-Fetisov

Osgood

This is why Wings fans are so spoiled: You could make a Mt. Rushmore for Detroit just of players who got a cup of coffee with the Wings, or played in their later days, but were legendary players:

Coffey

Fetisov

Hasek

Wendel Clark

Brett Hull

etc. etc.

I agree with the original poster's selections, which I think were Howe, Yzerman, Lidstrom, and Lindsay. Sawchuk is tempting, but I have trouble elevating Original Six goaltenders from that era to any kind of pedastal because it was such a different game back then and they were tied to great teams for long periods of time. So it's kind of the Osgood problem - if scoring increases in the league someday, people will look back at what Osgood did and it will have to be explained to them why he isn't as good as the numbers and accomplishments make it look. He played on a great team right in the middle of the dead puck era.

Toronto –Armstrong, Broda, Sittler, Sundin

Along with the Rangers, this was the toughest. Lot of older legends left off, like Apps and Conacher. Armstrong captained them to all those Cups in their glory days, and played more games than any Leaf. He has to be there. Broda was their goalie for about 15 years! Sittler was an offensive tour de force for them over 10 years, before Sundin broke many of his team records. Dave Keon wouldn’t likely get a spot, because there’s been a rift between him and the Leafs for several decades now. He’d refuse it.

I would have included Doug Gilmour in there, but that's just me.

Nah. Gilmour was a good player and was very popular in Toronto, but too many people overrate him, because they don't realize how many great players the Leafs had in their heyday. He's nowhere close on the mountain for me, especially if Leafs fans of all ages were choosing.

We just remember Gilmour as one of the best Leafs we've seen, because we haven't seen too many. (I'm assuming you're under 60). Wendel Clark is in the same boat.

This is why Wings fans are so spoiled: You could make a Mt. Rushmore for Detroit just of players who got a cup of coffee with the Wings, or played in their later days, but were legendary players:

Coffey

Fetisov

Hasek

Wendel Clark

Brett Hull

etc. etc.

I agree with the original poster's selections, which I think were Howe, Yzerman, Lidstrom, and Lindsay. Sawchuk is tempting, but I have trouble elevating Original Six goaltenders from that era to any kind of pedastal because it was such a different game back then and they were tied to great teams for long periods of time. So it's kind of the Osgood problem - if scoring increases in the league someday, people will look back at what Osgood did and it will have to be explained to them why he isn't as good as the numbers and accomplishments make it look. He played on a great team right in the middle of the dead puck era.

Every goalie that won multiple Cups played on loaded teams. Especially goalies that have four or five Cups to their name. I don't think you can discredit original 6 goalies like Sawchuk or Plante for playing with Hall of Famers. Then you have to discredit Brodeur, Dryden, Roy, Fuhr, Smith, etc. for the same reasons. They all played for great teams.

Patrick Roy probably comes the closest to carrying teams, since the two Canadiens' teams he won Cups with weren't the best teams in the league that year (although good teams nonetheless).

Hasek was as good, if not better than anyone, and even he couldn't win a Cup until he joined the 2002 Red Wings roster.

Edited by GMRwings1983