• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

Eva still posts on HFboards, and still the same unique combination of irrational man-love for Chiasson, Hudler and Kopecky, obscure statistical justifications, and well thought out, rational posts :lol:

For Buffalo, did you consider Mogilny?  Only 4 seasons, but one of the greatest goal scoring seasons in NHL history.

Only real question for Detroit is Sawchuk or Lindsay.  I think I'd go for Sawchuk personally, although when John Buccigross did this a few years ago he actually had Mike Ilitch on there, which is a great shout IMO.

That's what I was thinking when i mentioned LaFontaine for Buffalo/NYI.  Him and Mogilny were insane together.  Especially in NHL games on Sega  :lol:  

I cant believe how crazy hockey goalies were.

Now they can't even get grazed by a guy without playing dead.  Hang that on the wall for goalies to see.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#42 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

Buffalo – Perreault, Hasek, Martin, Andreychuk

Perreault and Hasek are no brainers.  Andreychuk is second only to Perreault in most major offensive categories for Buffalo.  Martin was a very good winger on that French Connection line.  I had a hard time leaving Housley off the list.  I guess he’s underrated after all.  As for recent memory, I quickly dismissed Ryan Miller and Lindy Ruff, despite their longevity.  Not good enough to make the mountain.      

You forgot Taro Tsujimoto.

#43 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

nice history lesson

#44 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,833 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

You forgot Taro Tsujimoto.

Indeed.

Even better than putting Manon Rheaume out there for Tampa.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#45 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:39 PM

Saw a similar thread on an NFL site

I lost interest in the rest of your topic  just after reading that little blurb.....

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#46 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,833 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

I lost interest in the rest of your topic  just after reading that little blurb.....

Nah.  It's an interesting topic no matter which sport one is discussing.   

#47 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:58 AM

No point in making a Mt. Rushmore for football.  They're all stoned already.

#48 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:03 AM

No point in making a Mt. Rushmore for football.  They're all stoned already.

Ditto for NBA

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#49 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:10 AM

Ditto for NBA

I guess I don't follow basketball enough to know that.  I like football, so I follow it, but it cheeses me to see these guys who have it all throw it away like that.  Yes, I feel the same way about hockey players who've done that too.

At least we still have baseball.  I don't follow that either, but there can't be any drugs in something so wholesome that's as all-American as apple pie and hot dogs, right?

Um.  Right?

#50 Trastion

Trastion

Prospect

• 42 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:31 AM

I saw the thread title and I was hoping this would be a photoshop thread. Great thread though. Anyone with the skills want to take a shot at doing some of the major ones?

#51 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

Sorry for a late reply...I'm just messing with ya...In fact it's a great topic for discussion as we eagerly await the start of the 2013/2014 season.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#52 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

Sorry for a late reply...I'm just messing with ya...In fact it's a great topic for discussion as we eagerly await the start of the 2013/2014 season.

70 days!!!

#53 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,833 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

I saw the thread title and I was hoping this would be a photoshop thread. Great thread though. Anyone with the skills want to take a shot at doing some of the major ones?

Doc Holliday had good photoshop skills.  Would take way too long to conjure him, though. ;)  

#54 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

Doc Holliday had good photoshop skills.  Would take way too long to conjure him, though. ;)  

He's at HF now.

#55 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,833 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

I'm just disappointed you didn't argue with me for omitting Grimson from the mountain.   :tounge:   

He's at HF now.

Damn.  Another guy you and I scared away.  

#56 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

bravo

#57 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

I would definitely argue Illitch over Lindsay as well. He's just responsible for so many more far reaching decisions and actions than a single player can be. He essentially took us from the the grave to a model sports franchise in twenty years and has continued that high level for another 13 and counting. Holland and Yzerman would almost certainly point to him when asked about some of their own successes.

#58 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,833 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

I would definitely argue Illitch over Lindsay as well. He's just responsible for so many more far reaching decisions and actions than a single player can be. He essentially took us from the the grave to a model sports franchise in twenty years and has continued that high level for another 13 and counting. Holland and Yzerman would almost certainly point to him when asked about some of their own successes.

But Howe, Lindsay, Sawchuk, Delvecchio, Abel and others wouldn't point to Ilitch as being responsible for their successes.  

The Red Wings aren't the Dallas Mavericks.  The franchise was legendary before Ilitch got there.  No way he trumps a Ted Lindsay off the mountain.   

#59 MotorCityMadness

MotorCityMadness

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

Toronto –Armstrong, Broda, Sittler, Sundin

Along with the Rangers, this was the toughest.  Lot of older legends left off, like Apps and Conacher.   Armstrong captained them to all those Cups in their glory days, and played more games than any Leaf.  He has to be there.  Broda was their goalie for about 15 years!  Sittler was an offensive tour de force for them over 10 years, before Sundin broke many of his team records.  Dave Keon wouldn’t likely get a spot, because there’s been a rift between him and the Leafs for several decades now.  He’d refuse it.

I would have included Doug Gilmour in there, but that's just me.

New York Islanders – Yashin, Snow, Milbury, Kvasha……...........JK…………….Real list is Trottier, Bossy, Potvin, Arbour

Trottier, Bossy and Potvin are locks.  Arbour coached the team for like 20 years.  BTW, if anyone wants to start their own joke Mount Rushmore thread, go for it.

Goaltender Billy Smith maybe? He was behind several of the 4 straight cup wins

Tampa Bay – Lecavalier, St. Louis, Richards, Stamkos

Stamkos was the bubble choice, but I think he’s already earned the right to be there.  He’s the current face of the Lightning.  Richards has been gone a few years, but I still think he’d get in.  Kubina is too ordinary a player to be ahead of any of these guys.

I might put Phil Esposito on there since he was originally one of the people behind getting the franchise started, but again just my opinion

Winnnipeg/Atlanta – Kovalchuk, Kozlov, Enstrom, Pavelec

LOL.  I know.  I even thought of putting Eric Boulton on here.

You could save time and just put Big Buff on twice since he takes up 2 people  :lol: 

HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!

#60 NAVYWING

NAVYWING

Classy Guy!!!!

• PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

I am not a Toronto fan, but I'd say Tim Horton, Matts Sundin,Teeder Kennedy and Wendel Clark.  For Detroit I'd say: Howe, Sawchuk, Yzerman and Lidstrom.

"We were one of the teams that had the least amount of fights last year. You don't want your best players fighting. But Brendan was certainly a physical presence. Playing on Pavel Datsyuk's line, he obviously created some space for Pavel. That's something we're going to have to monitor," said Ken Holland.

Ugh.