• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

I am not a Toronto fan, but I'd say Tim Horton, Matts Sundin,Teeder Kennedy and Wendel Clark.  For Detroit I'd say: Howe, Sawchuk, Yzerman and Lidstrom.

Our alumni squad could kick any other team's ass!!

Yzerman-Fedorov-Shanahan
Lidstrom-Fetisov
Osgood

#62 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,917 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

Pitt:  Crosby - Crosby - Crosby - Bettman

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#63 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

This is why Wings fans are so spoiled: You could make a Mt. Rushmore for Detroit just of players who got a cup of coffee with the Wings, or played in their later days, but were legendary players:

Coffey

Fetisov

Hasek

Wendel Clark

Brett Hull

etc. etc.

I agree with the original poster's selections, which I think were Howe, Yzerman, Lidstrom, and Lindsay.  Sawchuk is tempting, but I have trouble elevating Original Six goaltenders from that era to any kind of pedastal because it was such a different game back then and they were tied to great teams for long periods of time.  So it's kind of the Osgood problem - if scoring increases in the league someday, people will look back at what Osgood did and it will have to be explained to them why he isn't as good as the numbers and accomplishments make it look.  He played on a great team right in the middle of the dead puck era.

#64 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

Toronto –Armstrong, Broda, Sittler, Sundin

Along with the Rangers, this was the toughest.  Lot of older legends left off, like Apps and Conacher.   Armstrong captained them to all those Cups in their glory days, and played more games than any Leaf.  He has to be there.  Broda was their goalie for about 15 years!  Sittler was an offensive tour de force for them over 10 years, before Sundin broke many of his team records.  Dave Keon wouldn’t likely get a spot, because there’s been a rift between him and the Leafs for several decades now.  He’d refuse it.

I would have included Doug Gilmour in there, but that's just me.

Nah.  Gilmour was a good player and was very popular in Toronto, but too many people overrate him, because they don't realize how many great players the Leafs had in their heyday.  He's nowhere close on the mountain for me, especially if Leafs fans of all ages were choosing.   

We just remember Gilmour as one of the best Leafs we've seen, because we haven't seen too many.  (I'm assuming you're under 60).  Wendel Clark is in the same boat.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#65 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

This is why Wings fans are so spoiled: You could make a Mt. Rushmore for Detroit just of players who got a cup of coffee with the Wings, or played in their later days, but were legendary players:

Coffey

Fetisov

Hasek

Wendel Clark

Brett Hull

etc. etc.

I agree with the original poster's selections, which I think were Howe, Yzerman, Lidstrom, and Lindsay.  Sawchuk is tempting, but I have trouble elevating Original Six goaltenders from that era to any kind of pedastal because it was such a different game back then and they were tied to great teams for long periods of time.  So it's kind of the Osgood problem - if scoring increases in the league someday, people will look back at what Osgood did and it will have to be explained to them why he isn't as good as the numbers and accomplishments make it look.  He played on a great team right in the middle of the dead puck era.

Every goalie that won multiple Cups played on loaded teams.  Especially goalies that have four or five Cups to their name.  I don't think you can discredit original 6 goalies like Sawchuk or Plante for playing with Hall of Famers.  Then you have to discredit Brodeur, Dryden, Roy, Fuhr, Smith, etc. for the same reasons.  They all played for great teams.       

Patrick Roy probably comes the closest to carrying teams, since the two Canadiens' teams he won Cups with weren't the best teams in the league that year (although good teams nonetheless).  

Hasek was as good, if not better than anyone, and even he couldn't win a Cup until he joined the 2002 Red Wings roster.  

Edited by GMRwings1983, 24 July 2013 - 06:58 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.