• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingsAlways

I couldn't help but notice... (rant)

Rate this topic

Okay so I'm logging on the Detroit Red Wings website and I notice the intro screen is a collage of players from Original Six teams...with Sidney Crosby as the 7th. Do they SERIOUSLY have to include him in EVERYTHING?

There's enough Cindy bashing I'm aware but did I miss the petition to include Pittsburgh in the "Original Seven"?

http://redwings.nhl.com/?navid=nav-teamnav-det

I don't really care about the Pens, or Sidney Crosby, but if I hired a marketing director and he DIDN'T use one of the biggest names in hockey to sell tickets I'd fire him immediately. Sometimes it's hard for us fans to separate hockey the sport we love, from hockey the multi-billion dollar business. The league doesn't post constantly increasing profits by ignoring their bread and butter. Sidney Crosby sells, and until he doesn't, the NHL and each individual team is VERY likely to ride that gravy train. Get used to it.

Yeah - the Gaborik thing is just dumb, but the rest of the images are marketing the original 6 matchups this season and I imagine Crosby is there as a symbol of the new Eastern Conf. matchup and their rivalry.

It's the Red Wings site. They have Crosby on one side, Chara on the other, and Z in the middle.

Kind of like a mother encouraging her beautiful daughter to choose her ugliest friends as bridesmaids so the bride will look even more beautiful than usual on her big day.

Or, for you guys- having your ugliest friends as wingmen so you get the hot chick you're after because you're obviously the best catch of the night.

Marketing, and nothing more.

If you read the headline, it says "Detroit will host every team at the Joe INCLUDING new Eastern Conference Rivals". It then names Toronto, Montreal, and Boston as examples of these new "rivals". And then concludes by saying "Guarantee your chances of seeing these Original Six Matchups" in reference to the previously mentioned Toronto, Boston, and Montreal. It's a poorly put together ad campaign, but it's pretty easy to see that the whole point is to see tickets to marquee games, and Chicago, Pittsburgh, AND the original six are all considered those types of games.

They aren't promoting hockey history, they're trying to sell you tickets. And that's not going to happen if they promote Florida.

The reason this is embarrassing is that it states "Guarantee your chance to see these marquee Original Six matchups" Any other descriptor rather than Original Six would be OK. Maybe even Original Six + Cindy.

As previously stated when they mentioned "original six" matchups, it wasn't in reference to the pictures, it was in reference to the sentence before when they explicitly discuss Toronto, Boston, and Montreal. Which are, indeed, original six matchups.

It's a very poorly put together promo, but you guys are reading a little too much into it. They're hyping the original six matchups specifically in reference to the teams they mentioned, Toronto, Boston, and Montreal. The rest of the ad is an attempt to inform fans that Detroit will host all their main rivals, including the teams pictured, at the Joe this year.

If you read the headline, it says "Detroit will host every team at the Joe INCLUDING new Eastern Conference Rivals". It then names Toronto, Montreal, and Boston as examples of these new "rivals". And then concludes by saying "Guarantee your chances of seeing these Original Six Matchups" in reference to the previously mentioned Toronto, Boston, and Montreal. It's a poorly put together ad campaign, but it's pretty easy to see that the whole point is to see tickets to marquee games, and Chicago, Pittsburgh, AND the original six are all considered those types of games.

They aren't promoting hockey history, they're trying to sell you tickets. And that's not going to happen if they promote Florida.

I admit I didn't look at it like that, at first glance I took it as insensitive and an insult to the NHL's heritage. History is the one of the few things we as NHL fans have that THEY are unable to change...

Edited by WingsAlways

Guest Playmaker

Y'all need to get over your Sidney Crosby/Gary Bettman inferiority complex. Not a huge fan of either one, but I don't get the venom spewed for either one, especially Crosby. Other than being really good and playing for the team that beat us for that 5th Cup, I don't see where he's done anything all that wrong.

Y'all need to get over your Sidney Crosby/Gary Bettman inferiority complex. Not a huge fan of either one, but I don't get the venom spewed for either one, especially Crosby. Other than being really good and playing for the team that beat us for that 5th Cup, I don't see where he's done anything all that wrong.

I don't recall myself or anyone else feeling "inferior" to Sidney Crosby or the Penguins organization for that matter, we beat them as well... I just wasn't understanding why Crosby/Pens were listed with Original Six teams at first. This move to the East and the new rivalries that come with it is going to take some getting used to.

gaborik still plays for the rangers?

This has to be the dumbest part of the whole thing.

Pretty poorly designed promo. I know about two dozen designers and programmers who could do a better job in their sleep.

I am going to be as clear as possible here:

When visiting the OFFICIAL detroitredwings site I don't want to see pictures of players not wearing the winged wheel, especially the official NHL BFF team including Sindy.

Also like others said the promotion is very poorly done, I am looking at the header from this site and it is miles above this poor promotion. Promote your own players and by doing so at least put a little photoshopping love into the whole thing, embarassing and very poorly executed. Going to the DRW site and seeing pictures of other players is feeling wrong at so many levels. If I'd like to see a picture of Chara or Gaborik I'd visit the sites from Boston or Columbus.

BTW not using the only Rangers Star King Lundqvist is just another nail in the cofin, the Amwaylogo at the end fits this crap perfectly..

Edited by frankgrimes

Man, I don't like Crosby but some people have a real complex when it comes to this guy.

Yeah, I mean I hate him as much as the next guy, but they only included him in the ad because we've had a rivalry with the Penguins for years, and now we'll be in the same conference playing each other 3 times a year.

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings

Man, I don't like Crosby but some people have a real complex when it comes to this guy.

Nuh-uh dude. I showed Sir Crosby so much love that when I pre-ordered NHL 14 from Gamestop and then laughed at the Fathead sticker sheet, I had to put the Crosby sticker on the lid of my kitchen garbage can. Who else on here can say they have a Sidney Crosby garbage can?

Seriously though, when it says specifically "Original 6" he has no place in the equation. Same would be said if even Stamkos was in there, or Ladd from the Jets, 2 of my personal favourites....6 is not 7. The main problem is that no matter what, he's shoved down our throats even when the numbers don't add up.

Guest The Axe

"Toronto to square off with Pennsylvania's finest"

Leafs logo vs. Flyers logo with Crosby in the corner.

Even though the leafs dont face the pens for another 6 weeks.

Guest RedWingsDad

Nobody is talking about trying to promote Florida. The point of the OP is that Crosby is *clearly* out of place in that pic, considering 6 of 7 (im sensing a theme here) of the players are from original six teams . From a marketing perspective, I would say Crosby's face does not help promote ticket sales in the eyes of most Red Wings fans... so it also falls flat there. Fail all the way around as far as I’m concerned.

Edited by RedWingsDad