• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nev

List of Lidstrom's defence partners over the years

Rate this topic

This was inspired by me and GMR jesting in another thread about how important Dmitri Bykov was to Lidstrom's 3rd Norris trophy, and it got me thinking to the um, variable, quality of his partners, particularly in his Norris years. So here is my attempt to compile a season by season list.

I do require you guys help to fill in the gaps in my fading memory. Please note I am not looking for every partner he played with that year, just his main even strength partner.

Names in Bold are Norris years, names in Italics indicate a career year for that partner.

91-92: McCrimmon

92-93: ?/Coffey?

93-94: Coffey?

94-95: Bettman / Coffey (won Norris)

95-96: Coffey

96-97: ?/Murphy

97-98: Murphy

98-99: Murphy

99-00: Murphy

00-01: Dandenault

01-02: Olausson

02-03: Bykov

03-04: Schneider

04-05: Bettman

05-06: Schneider

06-07: Markov

07-08: Rafalski

08-09: Rafalski

09-10: Rafalski

10-11: Rafalski

11-12:White

Have at it guys, I'll edit this post with updates and corrections as we go. Thanks

Edited by Nev

Guest The Axe

Lidstrom/Bettman. Someone photoshop that, because its cracking me up thinking of Bettman backpedaling alongside Nick.

What I found interesting as I was compiling the list was 3 things. Firstly, how much of his career was spent paired with a puck-moving defenceman - HOFers like Coffey and Murphy and very good players in Rafalski and Schneider. And Ian White.

Secondly, that he had 6 different partners in his 7 Norris seasons, of varying quality! Rafalski>Schneider>Markov, Olausson>Bykov, Dandenault.

Thirdly, the number of guys who had career years partnered with Lidstrom, even right up to the end with White.

Names in Bold are Norris years, names in Italics indicate a career year for that partner.

94-95: Bettman / Coffey (won Norris)

04-05: Bettman

Have at it guys, I'll edit this post with updates and corrections as we go. Thanks

HAHAHAHAHA! I was sitting there, for about 3 minutes, going "wtf? who is Bettman?" and then I saw the 04-05 listing and it clicked. Thanks for the laugh.

Imagine if Rafi had come to the Wings a few seasons earlier. Wow.

Guest The Axe

What I found interesting as I was compiling the list was 3 things. Firstly, how much of his career was spent paired with a puck-moving defenceman - HOFers like Coffey and Murphy and very good players in Rafalski and Schneider. And Ian White.

Secondly, that he had 6 different partners in his 7 Norris seasons, of varying quality! Rafalski>Schneider>Markov, Olausson>Bykov, Dandenault.

Thirdly, the number of guys who had career years partnered with Lidstrom, even right up to the end with White.

Lidstrom was the best defenseman of all time.