• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:40 AM

This was inspired by me and GMR jesting in another thread about how important Dmitri Bykov was to Lidstrom's 3rd Norris trophy, and it got me thinking to the um, variable, quality of his partners, particularly in his Norris years.  So here is my attempt to compile a season by season list.

I do require you guys help to fill in the gaps in my fading memory.  Please note I am not looking for every partner he played with that year, just his main even strength partner.

Names in Bold are Norris years, names in Italics indicate a career year for that partner.

91-92:  McCrimmon

92-93: ?/Coffey?

93-94: Coffey?

94-95: Bettman / Coffey (won Norris)

95-96: Coffey

96-97: ?/Murphy

97-98: Murphy

98-99: Murphy

99-00: Murphy

00-01:  Dandenault

01-02: Olausson

02-03: Bykov

03-04: Schneider

04-05: Bettman

05-06: Schneider

06-07: Markov

07-08: Rafalski

08-09: Rafalski

09-10: Rafalski

10-11: Rafalski

11-12:White

Have at it guys, I'll edit this post with updates and corrections as we go.  Thanks

Edited by Nev, 22 July 2013 - 12:37 AM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#2 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

who is Bettman?

Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#3 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

[quote name="RusDRW" post="2431040" timestamp="1374412429"]

who is Bettman?[/quote

I think he is referring to the lockouts

#4 Yeti

Yeti

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

i miss Rafalski...  urgh

#5 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

Kronwall and Ericsson spent time with him

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#6 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

99-00 Was probably still Murphy.  Lids average 28 mins and Murph was 21 minutes. Chelios (25 mins) and Duchesne (21 mins) were up there too, but I don't think neither of them played too much even strength with Lids.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#7 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,955 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

Anyone remember how Lilja ended up Lidstrom's partner in the 2006 playoffs?  I don't think Schneider was injured.

I just know Lidstrom held Lilja back and that pairing was a disaster in the postseason.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#8 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

Lidstrom/Bettman. Someone photoshop that, because its cracking me up thinking of Bettman backpedaling alongside Nick.

#9 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:41 AM

What I found interesting as I was compiling the list was 3 things.  Firstly, how much of his career was spent paired with a puck-moving defenceman - HOFers like Coffey and Murphy and very good players in Rafalski and Schneider.  And Ian White.

Secondly, that he had 6 different partners in his 7 Norris seasons, of varying quality!  Rafalski>Schneider>Markov, Olausson>Bykov, Dandenault.

Thirdly, the number of guys who had career years partnered with Lidstrom, even right up to the end with White.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#10 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:03 AM

Names in Bold are Norris years, names in Italics indicate a career year for that partner.

94-95: Bettman / Coffey (won Norris)

04-05: Bettman

Have at it guys, I'll edit this post with updates and corrections as we go.  Thanks

HAHAHAHAHA! I was sitting there, for about 3 minutes, going "wtf? who is Bettman?" and then I saw the 04-05 listing and it clicked. Thanks for the laugh. 

Imagine if Rafi had come to the Wings a few seasons earlier. Wow. 

#11 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

What I found interesting as I was compiling the list was 3 things.  Firstly, how much of his career was spent paired with a puck-moving defenceman - HOFers like Coffey and Murphy and very good players in Rafalski and Schneider.  And Ian White.

Secondly, that he had 6 different partners in his 7 Norris seasons, of varying quality!  Rafalski>Schneider>Markov, Olausson>Bykov, Dandenault.

Thirdly, the number of guys who had career years partnered with Lidstrom, even right up to the end with White.

Lidstrom was the best defenseman of all time.