• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheDetroitRedWings

Devils sign Jagr (1 yr deal, financial terms not yet disclosed)

Rate this topic

Unless Alfie looks considerably older than he did even last season, I don't consider them too comparable. I understand your point, which is both of them are declined stars and Alfie is paid a fair bit more. But Jagr did basically nothing in the Playoffs. Part of that was a poor fit with Boston, which is a north/south team, but most of it is age.

The Wings don't have room for any more forwards and there wasn't really a veteran defender that we reasonably could have afforded that I would have wanted, with or without Alfie's contract. I know a lot of people weren't high on the Alfredsson deal, but there's every reason to think he'll "fit" on this team, and it's only one year.

I don't have too much of a problem with the Alfie deal, I just prefer Jagr, and it is a better deal.

Guest The Axe

I'll be pretty surprised and impressed if the Islanders make the playoffs this season.

Really? They did last year.

Unless Alfie looks considerably older than he did even last season, I don't consider them too comparable. I understand your point, which is both of them are declined stars and Alfie is paid a fair bit more. But Jagr did basically nothing in the Playoffs. Part of that was a poor fit with Boston, which is a north/south team, but most of it is age.

The Wings don't have room for any more forwards and there wasn't really a veteran defender that we reasonably could have afforded that I would have wanted, with or without Alfie's contract. I know a lot of people weren't high on the Alfredsson deal, but there's every reason to think he'll "fit" on this team, and it's only one year.

This, and the fact that Alfie is hungry for a cup. Jagr may love the sport, but he learns more towards his love of money IMO.

Edited by WingsAlways

Guest The Axe

This, and the fact that Alfie is hungry for a cup. Jagr may love the sport, but he learns more towards his love of money IMO.

Ha ha ha. Does anyone know Jagr?

Ha ha ha. Does anyone know Jagr?

I get where your coming from, but really alfie left the only team he's ever known to come play for Detroit because he felt he had a better chance at a cup, whereas jagr has been going to the highest bidder recently

I get where your coming from, but really alfie left the only team he's ever known to come play for Detroit because he felt he had a better chance at a cup, whereas jagr has been going to the highest bidder recently

Thought I read an article on TSN recently which Jagr said it was about "playing minutes" or something along those lines when he chose New Jersey. Regardless I agree with you about him seeming to go the highest bidder now days.

As much as I still don't like the Alfie signing I prefer him over Jagr.

I'll be pretty surprised and impressed if the Islanders make the playoffs this season.

Really? They did last year.

Applying the new divisions & playoff format, they would have missed the playoffs last season. Your playoff teams from the east would have been:

Pens (72 pts)

Habs (63)

Bruins (62)

Caps (57)

Leafs (57)

Rangers (56)

Wings (56)

Sens (56)

The Isles & Jackets would have been on the outside looking in with 55 pts.

Applying the new divisions & playoff format, they would have missed the playoffs last season. Your playoff teams from the east would have been:

Pens (72 pts)

Habs (63)

Bruins (62)

Caps (57)

Leafs (57)

Rangers (56)

Wings (56)

Sens (56)

The Isles & Jackets would have been on the outside looking in with 55 pts.

To play devils advocate, that was last year. This year half of those teams might not even make it

Guest DeGraa55

hehe Patrik Elias :

Is there any other NHL club in which you want to play?

Elias: easy, Detroit :D

He isn't old enough. Wait two years then he can.

Guest The Axe

To play devils advocate, that was last year. This year half of those teams might not even make it

More like: to be logical.

Me too, I have never been a big fan of him great player but questionable attitude and not a very loyal guy.

Really? I agree that he doesn't care about the logo on his jersey, but his proffesionalism and off-ice work ethic are well known. At 41 he just scored 16 goals in 45 games - more than anyone on the Wings btw. More than Franzen, more than Brunner, more than Z. You can't do that with a bad attitude.

Really? I agree that he doesn't care about the logo on his jersey, but his proffesionalism and off-ice work ethic are well known. At 41 he just scored 16 goals in 45 games - more than anyone on the Wings btw. More than Franzen, more than Brunner, more than Z. You can't do that with a bad attitude.

Mmmm.... it seems like you could. When exactly did goal scoring and good attitudes start automatically going hand-in-hand? I'm pretty sure there have been many goal scorers with less-than-stellar attitudes.

Ovie scored double that. He must have a great attitude...

Keyboard warriors who question the work ethic, professionalism and attitude of sportsmen who have spent over 20 years at the absolute pinnacle of their profession need to take a serious reality check. Even someone like Ovechkin may be a glory hunting egotist, but he is also one of the best players in the world at one of the most demanding sports imaginable. And Jagr has been at that level or similar for two decades.

There is not one person on this forum who can claim to be one of the top 10 in the world at something millions of people try to do for a job. And I seriously doubt any one on here has the day to day commitment, work-ethic, courage and drive of a hall of fame ice-hockey player.

So Jagr's not loyal to any particular team. Perhaps if he's started at the wings he would be, but most teams treat their players like mere assets to be bought, sold and traded. And at 41 he is still good enough to be a top 6 forward on a decent side in the highest level at his chosen sport. Or top put it another way, he is probably still among the top 300 in the world at what he does, despite being a decade past his peak.....

Me too, I have never been a big fan of him great player but questionable attitude and not a very loyal guy.

You can do that with a questionable attitude, like you mentioned if work ethic and skill are still there and you are playing on a good team it is very possible. I mean I do not like the Penguins but Lemieux is the reason why Jagr has become what he is today, so a bit of loyality should have been expected. It may be a personal thing, but I am just having a hard time, taking guys seriously that jump from team to team and do not care about the the icon on the jersey.

Guest Crymson

Keyboard warriors who question the work ethic, professionalism and attitude of sportsmen who have spent over 20 years at the absolute pinnacle of their profession need to take a serious reality check. Even someone like Ovechkin may be a glory hunting egotist, but he is also one of the best players in the world at one of the most demanding sports imaginable. And Jagr has been at that level or similar for two decades.

There is not one person on this forum who can claim to be one of the top 10 in the world at something millions of people try to do for a job. And I seriously doubt any one on here has the day to day commitment, work-ethic, courage and drive of a hall of fame ice-hockey player.

So Jagr's not loyal to any particular team. Perhaps if he's started at the wings he would be, but most teams treat their players like mere assets to be bought, sold and traded. And at 41 he is still good enough to be a top 6 forward on a decent side in the highest level at his chosen sport. Or top put it another way, he is probably still among the top 300 in the world at what he does, despite being a decade past his peak.....

Keyboard warriors who question the work ethic, professionalism, and attitude of politicians who have spent over 20 years at the absolute pinnacle of their profession need to take a serious reality check.

... see how that looks? Success in one's field doesn't make one automatically immune to criticism.

Keyboard warriors who question the work ethic, professionalism, and attitude of politicians who haccidentally"er 20 years at the absolute pinnacle of their profession need to take a serious reality check.

... see how that looks? Success in one's field doesn't make one automatically immune to criticism.

Though I'm inclined to say I agree with you, when an athlete is past his peak he eventually slides into a lesser role, but when a politician starts slipping he accidentally shoots his friends while hunting, and then becomes a so called expert on gun control laws.

But generally I would say that no one is immune to criticism.

Guest The Axe

Though I'm inclined to say I agree with you, when an athlete is past his peak he eventually slides into a lesser role, but when a politician starts slipping he accidentally shoots his friends while hunting, and then becomes a so called expert on gun control laws.

But generally I would say that no one is immune to criticism.

I can say that Brendan Smith is not immune to criticism.