Photo
- - - - -

Devils sign Jagr (1 yr deal, financial terms not yet disclosed)

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

To play devils advocate, that was last year. This year half of those teams might not even make it

More like: to be logical.

#42 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:09 AM

Me too, I have never been a big fan of him great player but questionable attitude and not a very loyal guy.

Really?  I agree that he doesn't care about the logo on his jersey, but his proffesionalism and off-ice work ethic are well known.  At 41 he just scored 16 goals in 45 games - more than anyone on the Wings btw. More than Franzen, more than Brunner, more than Z.  You can't do that with a bad attitude.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#43 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

Really?  I agree that he doesn't care about the logo on his jersey, but his proffesionalism and off-ice work ethic are well known.  At 41 he just scored 16 goals in 45 games - more than anyone on the Wings btw. More than Franzen, more than Brunner, more than Z.  You can't do that with a bad attitude.

Mmmm.... it seems like you could. When exactly did goal scoring and good attitudes start automatically going hand-in-hand? I'm pretty sure there have been many goal scorers with less-than-stellar attitudes.

#44 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

Ovie scored double that. He must have a great attitude...

#45 lomekian

lomekian

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

Keyboard warriors who question the work ethic, professionalism and attitude of sportsmen who have spent over 20 years at the absolute pinnacle of their profession need to take a serious reality check. Even someone like Ovechkin may be a glory hunting egotist, but he is also one of the best players in the world at one of the most demanding sports imaginable. And Jagr has been at that level or similar for two decades.

There is not one person on this forum who can claim to be one of the top 10 in the world at something millions of people try to do for a job. And I seriously doubt any one on here has the day to day commitment, work-ethic, courage and drive of a hall of fame ice-hockey player. 

So Jagr's not loyal to any particular team. Perhaps if he's started at the wings he would be, but most teams treat their players like mere assets to be bought, sold and traded. And at 41 he is still good enough to be a top 6 forward on a decent side in the highest level at his chosen sport. Or top put it another way, he is probably still among the top 300 in the world at what he does, despite being a decade past his peak.....

• Nev likes this

#46 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:01 AM

Me too, I have never been a big fan of him great player but questionable attitude and not a very loyal guy.

You can do that with a questionable attitude, like you mentioned if work ethic and skill are still there and you are playing on a good team it is very possible. I mean I do not like the Penguins but Lemieux is the reason why Jagr has become what he is today, so a bit of loyality should have been expected. It may be a personal thing, but I am just having a hard time, taking guys seriously that jump from team to team and do not care about the the icon on the jersey.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#47 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:05 AM

Keyboard warriors who question the work ethic, professionalism and attitude of sportsmen who have spent over 20 years at the absolute pinnacle of their profession need to take a serious reality check. Even someone like Ovechkin may be a glory hunting egotist, but he is also one of the best players in the world at one of the most demanding sports imaginable. And Jagr has been at that level or similar for two decades.

There is not one person on this forum who can claim to be one of the top 10 in the world at something millions of people try to do for a job. And I seriously doubt any one on here has the day to day commitment, work-ethic, courage and drive of a hall of fame ice-hockey player. 

So Jagr's not loyal to any particular team. Perhaps if he's started at the wings he would be, but most teams treat their players like mere assets to be bought, sold and traded. And at 41 he is still good enough to be a top 6 forward on a decent side in the highest level at his chosen sport. Or top put it another way, he is probably still among the top 300 in the world at what he does, despite being a decade past his peak.....

Keyboard warriors who question the work ethic, professionalism, and attitude of politicians who have spent over 20 years at the absolute pinnacle of their profession need to take a serious reality check.

... see how that looks? Success in one's field doesn't make one automatically immune to criticism.

#48 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:15 AM

Keyboard warriors who question the work ethic, professionalism, and attitude of politicians who haccidentally"er 20 years at the absolute pinnacle of their profession need to take a serious reality check.

... see how that looks? Success in one's field doesn't make one automatically immune to criticism.

Though I'm inclined to say I agree with you, when an athlete is past his peak he eventually slides into a lesser role, but when a politician starts slipping he accidentally shoots his friends while hunting, and then becomes a so called expert on gun control laws.

But generally I would say that no one is immune to criticism.

#49 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

Though I'm inclined to say I agree with you, when an athlete is past his peak he eventually slides into a lesser role, but when a politician starts slipping he accidentally shoots his friends while hunting, and then becomes a so called expert on gun control laws.

But generally I would say that no one is immune to criticism.

I can say that Brendan Smith is not immune to criticism.

#50 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

Now he just needs to play for the Islanders next season. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#51 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:36 AM

As they stand right now, New Jersey will look something like this:

Henrique-Loktionov-Jagr
Elias-Zajac-Ryder
Clowe-Zubrus-Olesz(?)
Gionta-Carter-Bernier
Josefson/Barch
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#52 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:59 AM

As they stand right now, New Jersey will look something like this:

Henrique-Loktionov-Jagr
Elias-Zajac-Ryder
Clowe-Zubrus-Olesz(?)
Gionta-Carter-Bernier
Josefson/Barch

Not bad

#53 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:16 AM

I really wonder if Jagr makes it through "healthy" this upcoming season. 

#54 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

While Jagr's loyalty is obviously in question, by this point in his career his preparation and work ethic has been well established. 

As for Ovie, he's an extreme talent, but unless he changes his attitude I'd be amazed if he's still competitive at 41 yrs old. 

• Nev likes this

#55 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

Jagr is what he is, for sure a great player but his loyality is really bad. I mean, for the Devils it's a winwin either he helps them making the playoff and they then turn him into something useful (draftpick), or they don't and send him to a contender.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#56 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

While Jagr's loyalty is obviously in question, by this point in his career his preparation and work ethic has been well established. 

As for Ovie, he's an extreme talent, but unless he changes his attitude I'd be amazed if he's still competitive at 41 yrs old. 

You mean 31 right? Lmao

#57 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

What was it, FOX or ESPN use to comment on how many sit ups or whatever Jagr did per day early on in his career playing with the Pens? Stupid crazy number like 1000 or some garbage...

You are spot on about Ovie... Also, he is reckless... Knees will be trash like Mogilny
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#58 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

They need to sign Miroslav Satan, just for the lulz. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#59 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:54 AM

How much did Devils new Russian owner have to do with this signing...

#60 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

How much did Devils new Russian owner have to do with this signing...

Nothing since he wasn't the owner when it happened.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!