• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

It's time - to predict 2014 Team USA

Rate this topic

Agreed but I thought Burke would be picking the team? Going to read through the article but so far not impressed with this roster.

Wow I'm really surprised how can ESPN feature such a great article? Easily one of the best and longest *g* articles I've read in years. One thing that's clear is, that Burke really comes off as a "know it all" guy Keith Yandle a disaster waiting to happen? *lol* pair the guy with Ryan Suter on the PP and wow. Yandle may not provide the best defensive play but he certainly is levels ahead of guys like Karlson when it comes down to defensive responsibilites. I think this decision is going to hurt team USA big time.

Jack Johnson given his poor play I can somewhat understand, as for Ryan again *lol* for taking Pacioretty over him. The guy has 18 goals on a very average this season and has scored 30 ever since joining the league, what more can you ask from a young player?

As for Poile man was this guy pushing a 19 old defender, while completely ignoring some no brainers.

Sure this is still a strong roster but I think it could have been much better. In terms of picking some shutdown defenderes I agree with Burke, despite the poor play I'd rather have JJ than Orpik who is only on this team because Bylsma is the coach.

Orpik was on the U.S. team in 2010 when Blysma wasn't the coach and was easily one of our better defenders. Your conspiracy theories have no end do they?

i went back and read the old posts on this thread, and i found it really funny that so many people wanted howard to start over quick this summer. now most people dont even want him starting for the wings.

regarding ryan, i think it sucks as you can always use goal scorers. i have not seen pacioretty play much these last couple years, is he really worthy of making the team?

i went back and read the old posts on this thread, and i found it really funny that so many people wanted howard to start over quick this summer. now most people dont even want him starting for the wings.

regarding ryan, i think it sucks as you can always use goal scorers. i have not seen pacioretty play much these last couple years, is he really worthy of making the team?

To me it is really simple: bigger ice more space = clutch goalscorers are coming in handy same goes for one of the best american defenders. If I were the GM and someone would approach me with a straight up Pacioretty or Wheeler for Ryan deal the first thing I would be asking "starting point go from there..." the top pairing is great but other than that, I'm not impressed. Suter McDonagh will have to play a lot in order to make up for that.

Also *lol* at the Oshie selection yes he has chemistry with Backes but other than that? ..

will be interesting to see Canadas roster soon

You know, obviously at first glance Ryan getting the snub seems silly. But the article mentioned that he was only pedestrian in 2010 and I think that was true. I like Wheeler better. Perhaps not as good of a goal scorer, but still impressive. And lets be honest, we're not going to beat Canada with finesse anyway. We need guys that are hard to play against, and in my opinion guys like Pacioretty and Wheeler are harder to play against. I'm more baffled by Oshie's selection than Ryan's snubbing.

Finally, am I the only one who doesn't understand why Paul Martin was considered a lock on defense from the get-go? Is he really that good?

Ryan reacts to some of the quotes of hockey USA: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=440211 going to cheer hard for him guy is a great goalscorer and never gets appreciated be it in Anaheim or now by hockey USA sucks, disgusting.

I've never been a Burke fan. Yeah he won a cup with the Ducks but he also put Anaheim in a bad cap situation and then hightailed it to Toronto where he made countless mistakes and now he moves to Calgary to run another franchise into the ground. I might be in the minority but I never understood the fuss over Burke's skills as a GM.

Props to Ryan for Calling Burke out on his BS. We at LGW have seen plenty of Ryan over the years and I'm sure most of us can agree that he doesn't lack intensity. Maybe there's some personal animosity between Burke and Ryan while they were in Anaheim.

I've never been a Burke fan. Yeah he won a cup with the Ducks but he also put Anaheim in a bad cap situation and then hightailed it to Toronto where he made countless mistakes and now he moves to Calgary to run another franchise into the ground. I might be in the minority but I never understood the fuss over Burke's skills as a GM.

Props to Ryan for Calling Burke out on his BS. We at LGW have seen plenty of Ryan over the years and I'm sure most of us can agree that he doesn't lack intensity. Maybe there's some personal animosity between Burke and Ryan while they were in Anaheim.

I think there are obviously worse GMs than him, but the guy has a massive ego and needs to learn how to be a professional instead of microphone machine. Even the so so called hockeyuniverse in Toronto prefered a lowkey guy like Nonis. If he learns how to keep his mouth shut or how to choose his words in a more polite way, he will become a better GM or VP whatever his role in Calgary will be at the end.

but after the reading this article the only two guys who came off very professional were Dean Lombardi and Ray Shero, non sursprisingly two of the best in the business.

Guest blueadams

Here's the team I would have selected:

Z. Parise-J. Pavelski-P. Kane
B. Ryan-R. Kesler-P. Kessel

D. Brown-D. Backes-R. Callahan
J. van Riemsdyk-A. Galchenyuk-T. Oshie

P. Stastny, M. Pacioretty

.....The changes I'd make to the forward group: B. R
yan and A. Galchenyuk in for B. Wheeler and D. Stepan. I don't understand the Ryan hate. He might be the third most talented forward on this team (perhaps second?). I don't watch him much in the regular season, but in 2010, he skated HARD, he was physical, he was responsible defensively. It's a joke to me that he's on this team. No offense to Blake Wheeler - - but Ryan brings more to the table. No doubt about it. Also, I don't think Stepan belongs on this team. I like Galchenyuk. I think there's potential to explode there. If he doesn't, plug Stastny in and its no big deal. Really great top scoring like: Parise-Pavelski-Kane. Really great second scoring line: Ryan-Kesler-Kessel. Tons of good PP options up there now. KILLER shut down line: Brown-Backes-Callahan. Pretty decent 4th line: JVR-Galchenyuk/Stastny-Oshie. I would've really liked this group.

R. Suter-J. Johnson
R. McDonagh-J. Faulk
K. Yandle-C. Fowler

D. Byfuglien, S. Jones

...I don't care for Martin or Orpik. Hate leaving Shattenkirk off, but I had to. Carlson didn't bug me as much. Thought it was reall
y stupid to leave JJ off the roster. Bad season in Columbus, but so the h*** what. We all know what he is. We all know what he was in 2010. I think he would've been great in 2014. Yandle and Byfuglien (who I'd dress) I wanted to have on the team to create an AMAZING PP blue-line, and also because I think Buff does so much for team attitude, chemistry, lockerroom, etc. And I definitely want Seth Jones on this roster. If he turns it on, he's your top-pairing right-side defenseman. If he doesn't, he's an 8th defenseman who never sees the ice. Big deal. Would've been worth the risk.

J. Quick
R. Miller
B. Bishop

...Quick and Miller are the easy 1-2. Small potatoes, but I would've gotten some experience for a kid in the #3 spot. There's about a 0.00001% chance Howard's ever going to see the ice anyways.

Edited by blueadams

That's a pretty good roster and more looking like the one I would have chosen, just:

Jones, Galchenuk are too young, the olympics are too much pressure for such young players. I remember the time when I was 19, being the last at a party was enough pressure and now imagine 19 olds representing their country in Russia for the olympics unreal.

I also would have left off Byuglien guy is just too much of a risky pick and take Jack Johnson instead, just a very good shutdown defenseman. 13/14 Forward would have been Statsny + Wheeler. I fully agree with your assessment of Ryan the only two better guys are Parise and obviously Kaner, Kessel and the other wingers are at best equally as good.

as for the goaltending: I think this is probably the biggest strength of team USA, so it doesn't really matter who they are picking as the third one, because if a team has to go with their 3 string goalie something already went really wrong. This is a guy who will not see the ice. It's a nice honor for Howard sure but he should be prepared to watch the games from the press box in Sochi. I honestly don't know if it would have helped Bishop, the guy needs experience so playing in the NHL was the better choice for him.

Edited by frankgrimes

Carlson, Faulk, Orpik, Martin and Fowler????????????

LOL

Can't be kidding me

Minus the forwards ranks minus Bobby Ryan and maybe Okoposo

I'm ok with the list.

The D on the other hand pfffftttttt

Carlson, Faulk and Fowler are all very well rounded, top two defencemen.

Each one of them lead their respective teams in total ice time among D. Heavy penalty kill minutes as well.

Carlson, Faulk and Fowler are all very well rounded, top two defencemen.

Each one of them lead their respective teams in total ice time among D. Heavy penalty kill minutes as well.

Ok sure but nowhere near the upside of either Byfuglien or Yandle FYI

Poile has to be high

No other way around it

Only reason Carlson, Faulk and Fowler were picked imo was because they are the youngest and best all around d-men in Poile's eyes. Maybeeeeee

As I'm USA all the way I'm a bit disappointed in the roster.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Ok sure but nowhere near the upside of either Byfuglien or Yandle FYI

Poile has to be high

No other way around it

Only reason Carlson, Faulk and Fowler were picked imo was because they are the youngest and best all around d-men in Poile's eyes. Maybeeeeee

As I'm USA all the way I'm a bit disappointed in the roster.

I definitely disagree.

No, he is not that good, and I'm baffled that he's even on the roster.

I understand Orpik being a lock, he's pretty big, skates well, and is physical. Against what is sure to be a gigantic Canadian team we're going to need guys like that. But I just don't get Martin. I haven't watched a lot of him (admittedly) but he's never really jumped out as someone that demanded a spot on this roster the way some others have. I know he kills penalties and "can" be on the PP, but was versatility enough? Does he shoot right? I'm lost.

All in all, I think this defense is underrated though. There are some young guys on here that probably most people haven't seen much of and that makes them nervous. Justin Faulk is a good young offensive d-man. He's an awesome skater, has good size. John Carlson is, in my opinion, one of the more underrated d-man in the league as well. Big, tough, rugged, aggressive, and a good skater. Makes me think of Suter without the experience and pedigree. Obviously you know what you're getting with Suter and Orpik. McDonough will really wow a lot of people who haven't seen him before. The only ones I question are Martin, Fowler, and Shattenkirk, but none of the other options were obviously better so it's shades of grey for me.

One thing I noticed about all these guys though is that none are flashy or prone to hot dogging. No Mike Green's on this defense. They all play safe, smart, and all of them can skate. Skating is going to save us against the Canadian squad.

Guest blueadams

Thinking further.. I would've picked

Brown-Kesler-Kane
Parise-Pavelski-Kessel
Ryan-Backes-Oshie/Callahan
JVR/Callahan-Galchenyuk/Stastny-Wheeler
Suter-Faulk
McDonagh-Fowler
Yandle-Jones/Carlson
Byfuglien
Quick/Miller
Howard

*I'd give Galchenyuk a legit chance to beat out Stastny. I hate Stastny. He sucked in '10. But, international ice, he might be better. So he's on my roster. But I give Galchenyuk a real chance to beat him out. There's a real chance that kid could explode and be a big time difference maker. If he doesn't, big deal, he's a scratch. ??

*Callahan's going to be in the lineup. So, it's basically a battle between Oshie and JVR. Shall the best man (or best matchup?) win.

*Defense. Out: Orpik, Martin, Shattenkirk. In: Yandle, Byfuglien, Jones. I love that Jones kid. I think there's a legit chance he could, like Galchenyuk, explode and be a big time difference maker (if he doesn't, also like Galchenyuk, big deal ~ he's a scratch). Drew Doughty, anyone? I also want Yandle on the team. Goals are going to be at a premium and he's not that bad at all in his own zone. Ridiculous that Martin's on the team ahead of him. And I also want Byfuglien on this team. He's my extra skater (13th forward). I'll send him out there to run someone. To man the point on the PP (with Yandle on the other - - gaawww). Put him in front of the net on occasion. He's a real-deal leader. No team is ever scared with Buff on it.
Edited by blueadams

If they know the D is going to be a weakness and want puck moving guys to get it up to the forwards effectively, why not Yandle exactly?

It was interesting to see how hard Lombardi was lobbying for Yandle. Lombardi is a good GM and his team plays against the Coyotes an awful lot.

"If you ask our coaches," Lombardi says, "Yandle scares us more than Shattenkirk."

And I don't think he's wrong about this either:

"If this kid was playing in New York, would we be embarrassed not to take him?" Lombardi asks rhetorically, a query he will repeat several times during the meeting.

Yandle is the highest scoring American defenseman over the last 4 years. If he played for the Rangers they'd probably hype him like he was Brian Leetch (I'm in no way claiming he actually is).

From TSN:

The day after Bobby Ryan reacted to negative comments made by Brian Burke in an article that was written about the process of choosing the U.S. Olympic team, the team's general manager David Poile offered a public apology to the Ottawa Senators forward, who was left off the team.

"I'm trying right now to apologize to Bobby Ryan," said Poile during a conference call on Friday. "If it was said about me, I would be upset. Denigrating any player is not what anyone signed up for."

Hug it out, boys.