• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

I would say Quick, Anderson, Howard, Miller, Schneider, Kane, Kessel, Parise, Ryan, Byfuglien, Suter, Yandle (and possibly Kesler with his 2-way skills) would all have a very good chance of cracking Canada's lineup. Although the great thing about the direction USA hockey is going, in another 4 years that number should grow big time. So much young American talent coming up the ranks. Hopefully most of them will develop accordingly.

No to Kesler for sure, Ryan and Yandle.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#42 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

I'm currently watching Winnipeg and Chicago and if Blake Wheeler isn't on team USA there's a problem.  That guy is a serious beast.  If Mantha turns out to be a Wheeler type forward I'd be thrilled.  Dude is big, fast, and has a killer shot.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#43 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

Any team with Ryan Callahan and Dustin Brown on it is going to be pretty awesome.

I'm currently watching Winnipeg and Chicago and if Blake Wheeler isn't on team USA there's a problem.  That guy is a serious beast.  If Mantha turns out to be a Wheeler type forward I'd be thrilled.  Dude is big, fast, and has a killer shot.

One of my favorite players. I've wanted him on the Wings for some time now.

Edited by Dabura, 02 November 2013 - 03:21 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#44 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

Any team with Ryan Callahan and Dustin Brown on it is going to be pretty awesome.

One of my favorite players. I've wanted him on the Wings for some time now.

Yeah, I'm really pumped in general for team usa, but I definitely want to see Wheeler on there.  Guy is all over the place against Chicago.  For a while now I"ve been pining for E. Kane.  But after watching them for a bit it's pretty clear that Ladd and Wheeler are the bosses on that team.

p.s. Don't forget Backes!  Callahan, Brown, and Backes.  Prepare to get hit every single time you touch the puck.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#45 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

Ah, that's who I was forgetting! Backes! Brown, Backes, Callahan, et al. Love it.

What I really like about Wheeler, beyond the obvious, is that he's growing, progressing, pushing himself to be better and better. He has a scoring touch now that I don't think he had several seasons ago. He's worked on his intensity, he's become a good leader, and I think he's actually gotten faster, quicker. I believe he has the potential to be one of the best players in the league, and I'll be very surprised - and pissed - if he isn't there in Sochi. Also, I'd take back all the bad things I've ever said about Holland if he were to somehow land Wheeler in a trade.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Wheeler

I would cry.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#46 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

Thought this was the best thread for it, but I'm really shocked that Keith Yandle and Ryan have been snapped wow.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#47 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,219 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

Thought this was the best thread for it, but I'm really shocked that Keith Yandle and Ryan have been snapped wow.

Well when you have the GM of the Preds picking the team what do you expect :eh:

#48 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

Agreed. Very surprising (especially since Bobby Ryan was on the 2010 team and is having a huge year so far). Also surprised to see Byfuglien get the snub.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#49 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

Burnside gives a good look behind the scenes.  It's pretty lengthy, but interesting.

http://espn.go.com/o...mpics-was-named

Even reading through it, Ryan is still a headscratcher to me.  Their knock against the guy seems to be that all he can do is score?

Jack Johnson I can understand more.  He's a talented player but is hockey sense just isn't there.  All the good he does can unravel in one inexplicably stupid decision.  So I can understand them not trusting him. 

Yandle is still a surprise though too.  They make him sound like he's awful defensively. 

#50 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

Thought this was the best thread for it, but I'm really shocked that Keith Yandle and Ryan have been snapped wow.   Well when you have the GM of the Preds picking the team what do you expect :eh:

Agreed but I thought Burke would be picking the team? Going to read through the article but so far not impressed with this roster.

Wow I'm really surprised how can  ESPN feature such a great article? Easily one of the best and longest *g* articles I've read in years. One thing that's clear is, that Burke really comes off as a "know it all" guy Keith Yandle a disaster waiting to happen? *lol* pair the guy with Ryan Suter on the PP and wow. Yandle may not provide the best defensive play but he certainly is levels ahead of guys like Karlson when it comes down to defensive responsibilites. I think this decision is going to hurt team USA big time.

Jack Johnson given his poor play I can somewhat understand, as for Ryan again *lol* for taking Pacioretty over him. The guy has 18 goals on a very average this season and has scored 30 ever since joining the league, what more can you ask from a young player?

As for Poile man was this guy pushing a 19 old defender, while completely ignoring some no brainers.

Sure this is still a strong roster but I think it could have been much better. In terms of picking some shutdown defenderes I agree with Burke, despite the poor play I'd rather have JJ than Orpik who is only on this team because Bylsma is the coach.

Edited by frankgrimes, 01 January 2014 - 10:58 PM.

kftx.jpg

#51 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:45 AM

The fact that Ryan is not on the team is a travesty.  :confused1: He was money 4 years ago.   

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#52 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:12 AM

Agreed but I thought Burke would be picking the team? Going to read through the article but so far not impressed with this roster.

Wow I'm really surprised how can  ESPN feature such a great article? Easily one of the best and longest *g* articles I've read in years. One thing that's clear is, that Burke really comes off as a "know it all" guy Keith Yandle a disaster waiting to happen? *lol* pair the guy with Ryan Suter on the PP and wow. Yandle may not provide the best defensive play but he certainly is levels ahead of guys like Karlson when it comes down to defensive responsibilites. I think this decision is going to hurt team USA big time.

Jack Johnson given his poor play I can somewhat understand, as for Ryan again *lol* for taking Pacioretty over him. The guy has 18 goals on a very average this season and has scored 30 ever since joining the league, what more can you ask from a young player?

As for Poile man was this guy pushing a 19 old defender, while completely ignoring some no brainers.

Sure this is still a strong roster but I think it could have been much better. In terms of picking some shutdown defenderes I agree with Burke, despite the poor play I'd rather have JJ than Orpik who is only on this team because Bylsma is the coach.

Orpik was on the U.S. team in 2010 when Blysma wasn't the coach and was easily one of our better defenders.  Your conspiracy theories have no end do they?

#53 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

i went back and read the old posts on this thread, and i found it really funny that so many people wanted howard to start over quick this summer. now most people dont even want him starting for the wings.

regarding ryan, i think it sucks as you can always use goal scorers. i have not seen pacioretty play much these last couple years, is he really worthy of making the team?

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#54 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

i went back and read the old posts on this thread, and i found it really funny that so many people wanted howard to start over quick this summer. now most people dont even want him starting for the wings.

regarding ryan, i think it sucks as you can always use goal scorers. i have not seen pacioretty play much these last couple years, is he really worthy of making the team?

To me it is really simple: bigger ice more space = clutch goalscorers are coming in handy same goes for one of the best american defenders. If I were the GM and someone would approach me with a straight up Pacioretty or Wheeler for Ryan deal the first thing I would be asking "starting point go from there..." the top pairing is great but other than that, I'm not impressed. Suter McDonagh will have to play a lot in order to make up for that.

Also *lol* at the Oshie selection yes he has chemistry with Backes but other than that? ..

will be interesting to see Canadas roster soon

kftx.jpg

#55 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

You know, obviously at first glance Ryan getting the snub seems silly.  But the article mentioned that he was only pedestrian in 2010 and I think that was true.  I like Wheeler better.  Perhaps not as good of a goal scorer, but still impressive.  And lets be honest, we're not going to beat Canada with finesse anyway.  We need guys that are hard to play against, and in my opinion guys like Pacioretty and Wheeler are harder to play against.  I'm more baffled by Oshie's selection than Ryan's snubbing.

Finally, am I the only one who doesn't understand why Paul Martin was considered a lock on defense from the get-go?  Is he really that good?

#56 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

Ryan reacts to some of the quotes of hockey USA: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=440211 going to cheer hard for him guy is a great goalscorer and never gets appreciated be it in Anaheim or now by hockey USA sucks, disgusting.

kftx.jpg

#57 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

I don't know how any of these teams expect to win anything without fighters on their teams.

#58 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

Ryan reacts to some of the quotes of hockey USA: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=440211 going to cheer hard for him guy is a great goalscorer and never gets appreciated be it in Anaheim or now by hockey USA sucks, disgusting.

I've never been a Burke fan. Yeah he won a cup with the Ducks but he also put Anaheim in a bad cap situation and then hightailed it to Toronto where he made countless mistakes and now he moves to Calgary to run another franchise into the ground. I might be in the minority but I never understood the fuss over Burke's skills as a GM.

Props to Ryan for Calling Burke out on his BS. We at LGW have seen plenty of Ryan over the years and I'm sure most of us can agree that he doesn't lack intensity. Maybe there's some personal animosity between Burke and Ryan while they were in Anaheim.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#59 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

I've never been a Burke fan. Yeah he won a cup with the Ducks but he also put Anaheim in a bad cap situation and then hightailed it to Toronto where he made countless mistakes and now he moves to Calgary to run another franchise into the ground. I might be in the minority but I never understood the fuss over Burke's skills as a GM.

Props to Ryan for Calling Burke out on his BS. We at LGW have seen plenty of Ryan over the years and I'm sure most of us can agree that he doesn't lack intensity. Maybe there's some personal animosity between Burke and Ryan while they were in Anaheim.

I think there are obviously worse GMs than him, but the guy has a massive ego and needs to learn how to be a professional instead of microphone machine. Even the so so called hockeyuniverse in Toronto prefered a lowkey guy like Nonis. If he learns how to keep his mouth shut or how to choose his words in a more polite way, he will become a better GM or VP whatever his role in Calgary will be at the end.

but after the reading this article the only two guys who came off very professional were Dean Lombardi and Ray Shero, non sursprisingly two of the best in the business.

kftx.jpg

#60 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

Here's the team I would have selected:

Z. Parise-J. Pavelski-P. Kane
B. Ryan-R. Kesler-P. Kessel

D. Brown-D. Backes-R. Callahan
J. van Riemsdyk-A. Galchenyuk-T. Oshie

P. Stastny, M. Pacioretty

.....The changes I'd make to the forward group: B. R
yan and A. Galchenyuk in for B. Wheeler and D. Stepan.  I don't understand the Ryan hate.  He might be the third most talented forward on this team (perhaps second?).  I don't watch him much in the regular season, but in 2010, he skated HARD, he was physical, he was responsible defensively.  It's a joke to me that he's on this team.  No offense to Blake Wheeler - - but Ryan brings more to the table.  No doubt about it.  Also, I don't think Stepan belongs on this team.  I like Galchenyuk.  I think there's potential to explode there.  If he doesn't, plug Stastny in and its no big deal.  Really great top scoring like: Parise-Pavelski-Kane.  Really great second scoring line: Ryan-Kesler-Kessel.  Tons of good PP options up there now.  KILLER shut down line: Brown-Backes-Callahan.  Pretty decent 4th line: JVR-Galchenyuk/Stastny-Oshie.  I would've really liked this group.

R. Suter-J. Johnson
R. McDonagh-J. Faulk
K. Yandle-C. Fowler

D. Byfuglien, S. Jones

...I don't care for Martin or Orpik.  Hate leaving Shattenkirk off, but I had to.  Carlson didn't bug me as much.  Thought it was reall
y stupid to leave JJ off the roster.  Bad season in Columbus, but so the h*** what.  We all know what he is.  We all know what he was in 2010.  I think he would've been great in 2014.  Yandle and Byfuglien (who I'd dress) I wanted to have on the team to create an AMAZING PP blue-line, and also because I think Buff does so much for team attitude, chemistry, lockerroom, etc.  And I definitely want Seth Jones on this roster.  If he turns it on, he's your top-pairing right-side defenseman.  If he doesn't, he's an 8th defenseman who never sees the ice.  Big deal.  Would've been worth the risk.

J. Quick
R. Miller
B. Bishop

...Quick and Miller are the easy 1-2.  Small potatoes, but I would've gotten some experience for a kid in the #3 spot.  There's about a 0.00001% chance Howard's ever going to see the ice anyways.  

Edited by blueadams, 02 January 2014 - 09:05 PM.