Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

Yakupov-Malkin-Semin

Radulov-Zherdev-Afinigenov

Not bad.

er...I guess.  But didn't half of those guys get chased out of the NHL for being lazy?  I also didn't see Afinigenov or Zherdov among the invitees.  Maybe I am blind...

I think any combination of the remaining Canadian options are much better.

When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#22 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

Forwards

Nash - Crosby - Stamkos

Bergeron - Giroux - Toews

Staal - Richards - Carter

Tavares - Getzlaf - Perry

St. Louis

Duchene

Defense

Letang - Weber

Keith - Seabrook

Doughty - Subban

Mike Green

Alex Pietrangelo

Goalies

Crawford

Price

Lulu

#23 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

Babs: "Cleary?"

Canada Committee: "NO." (resoundingly)

Babs: "Sheesh."

#24 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Babs: "Cleary?"

Canada Committee: "NO." (resoundingly)

Babs: "Sheesh."

Axe: "Quincy????"

Canada Committee: "OH HELL NO"

Axe: "Canada suxors"

I had to buddy=) all in good fun.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#25 Datsyukian Videos

Datsyukian Videos

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

I think Crawford is a lock in goal... Also Bergeron will be a starter on this team.

100% agree. Crawford is outstanding. One of the few goalies who Datsyuk can't score on in the shootout. 

Bergeron is deadly in all areas of the game.  

The team looks UNBELIEVABLE!!! Gold again!

#26 Datsyukian Videos

Datsyukian Videos

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

Forwards

Nash - Crosby - Stamkos

Bergeron - Giroux - Toews

Staal - Richards - Carter

Tavares - Getzlaf - Perry

St. Louis

Duchene

Defense

Letang - Weber

Keith - Seabrook

Doughty - Subban

Mike Green

Alex Pietrangelo

Goalies

Crawford

Price

Lulu

I don't know if I would have the leading 2013 NHL season points getter (St. Louis) as the extra forward. He's been  I would actually be surprised if they split up Louis and Stammer. 
In the past 7 years, Louis has been top 6 in points 4 times (1st, 18th, 2nd, 6th, 16th, 14th, and 5th). 
It will be interesting if they want to take Kunitz as well...I would think not though,

#27 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

I don't know if I would have the leading 2013 NHL season points getter (St. Louis) as the extra forward. He's been  I would actually be surprised if they split up Louis and Stammer. 
In the past 7 years, Louis has been top 6 in points 4 times (1st, 18th, 2nd, 6th, 16th, 14th, and 5th). 
It will be interesting if they want to take Kunitz as well...I would think not though,

St. Louis didn't make the Canadian roster in 2010. He probably should make it this year as I like him and have nothing against him. I guess it will really depend on how he does this season. 

The problem for the Canadians is they have so much forward depth it's not even funny. They seriously could probably ice two teams at the Olympics this year. 

Kunitz isn't making the roster as of now.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 26 July 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#28 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

"And as Team Canada executive director Steve Yzerman put it: 'There will be more of a premium placed on skating.'"

And going by that, Nash does not make my team.  And I will explain guys that don't make my version of team Canada.

Stamkos-Crosby-St. Louis

Perry-Getzlaf-Tavares

Giroux-Toews-E.Staal

Lucic-Bergeron-Ladd

Carter/Couture

Pietrangelo-Weber

Keith-Seabrook

Doughty-M.Staal

Boyle/Alzner

Luongo-Crawford-Smith

Forwards - I like the idea of keeping Stamkos/St.Louis together and having Crosby centre the 2 of them.  That is a very dangerous line where you never know if Stamkos will be the triggerman or if the other 2 will surprise with the shot or drive to the net when the D spreads out to cover Stamkos.  2nd line keeps chemistry with a speedy dangler added to the mix.  3rd line has a Selke style shutdown centre with a big body in Staal for the cycle and another triggerman in Giroux.  That line would have speed, size and has 3 forwards that are great on the cycle.  4th line, that's just a dirty shutdown line.  Bergeron, another Selke finalist will be the defensive zone faceoff king and with Lucic and Ladd hitting everything in sight and adding 4th line scoring, team Canada could have a better element than throwing out a disappearing act Shark line this time around.

Cuts:

Neal - nothing more than a good shot.  He's normally lazy, doesn't battle enough and isn't a strong enough skater to get into his shooting positions on the large ice in a timely manner.

Hall/Eberle - Both really good players who would be even better on the large ice, but they are both not strong enough and aren't the go-to guys they were in Jr which is shown in Edmonton's playoff appearances lately.

Thornton/Nash - Both lack the intensity to make this squad.  Both float a lot and I think they would both suffer on the big ice.

Defense - I kept to the system of having  OFD/DFD or OFD/TWD and not loading up on OFD like an idiot and sacrificing D to try and outscore teams that may have equivalent forwards to us.  USA, Sweden, Russia...we don't want to trade goals with them especially if Luongo fails in goal.  I added in Boyle and Alzner as my extras to have an OFD and a DFD ready to jump in depending on who would go down.

Cuts:

Bouwmeester/Hamhuis/Phaneuf/Vlasic - Alzner is higher on my list cause of his outstanding defensive game and he's my extra DFD. 

Subban/Letang - Both horrific in the D zone.  I don't want that anywhere near the Norris let alone an olympic team defending the best the rest of the world has to offer.  ALL of the Dmen I chose above have a superior D zone game to them essentially canning them from my team.  I hope like hell neither of them get a spot.  Yzerman should know better being one of the best 2-way forwards ever to play the game.

Goal - Luongo will be on fire this year, unfortunately though cause I hate the Cansucks.  He will take the #1 G-spot :lol: and let everyone know he's the best goalie in Canada not named Marty Brodeur, whom apparently isn't invited, though Price is???

Cuts:

Which brings me to Price.  He's been MAF like the past couple years, which I'm fine with cause eff the Habs...  I don't want that inconsistency anywhere close to the olympics.

Everyone on the team I picked is a strong skater, and knows how to battle and win hockey games.  The last thing I want to see is a team that's 100% balls to the wall offense, cause that team will lose to USA or Sweden whom have teams that are pretty close to as strong, but with as good if not better goalies in Quick and Lundqvist.  We need skill, size and DEFENSE!  If we don't have the role players that keep the puck out of the net, it'll be 2006 all over again.  At least this time, Pronger won't have his own lounge area in the penalty box.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#29 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

"And as Team Canada executive director Steve Yzerman put it: 'There will be more of a premium placed on skating.'"

And going by that, Nash does not make my team.  And I will explain guys that don't make my version of team Canada.

Stamkos-Crosby-St. Louis

Perry-Getzlaf-Tavares

Giroux-Toews-E.Staal

Lucic-Bergeron-Ladd

Carter/Couture

Pietrangelo-Weber

Keith-Seabrook

Doughty-M.Staal

Boyle/Alzner

Luongo-Crawford-Smith

Hmm... you emphasize the skating part by cutting Nash, yet you have Lucic on the team.  Lucic is a big, tough power forward, but he is definitely NOT known for his skating or his speed.  I think he'd get into a bit of trouble on the big ice.  I still think Nash is a better skater and scorer than Lucic.

Ladd is also an interesting choice.  Great player, but I don't know if he has earned a spot over some of the other guys.  He surely deserves a camp invite, and he may play really well during the first part of the season...so who knows.  Hard to quibble though, I like all of these lineups.

When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#30 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

Axe: "Quincy????"
Canada Committee: "OH HELL NO"
Axe: "Canada suxors"

I had to buddy=) all in good fun.

Touche!!

Added instigation minor for spelling his name wrong!

4 minutes in the sin bin for you. Axe on the pp.

#31 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

I think by looking at their impressive top 6 team Canada can easily care some role players such as Lucic. Keep in mind no other tram is going to have an answer for him, this guy will give Canada a lot of options so opponents can't simply focus on the top two lines. Lucic - Getzlaf - Nash would also be an interesting experiment.

Edited by frankgrimes, 27 July 2013 - 02:16 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#32 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

Lucic is a beast

#33 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

Easily the best roster, but Canada doesn't do well in Olympic competitions abroad.  Not to mention, it's tough to repeat as Gold Medal winners.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#34 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

Easily the best roster, but Canada doesn't do well in Olympic competitions abroad.  Not to mention, it's tough to repeat as Gold Medal winners.  

Yeah, and also they have arguably the weakest all-around goaltending of all the gold medal contending countries. They'll be competitive, but I do highly doubt they'll repeat

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#35 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

Well it just shows what a great GM Stevie really is, he is building another great roster and selected an unbelievable coaching stuff. Whenever Holland moves up I really hope he will be the next GM of the Wings. Usually I would agree with the pressure situation but keep in mind Russia is playing at home, so they are the ones under enormous pressure and their roster is not as impressive. I think only two teams are having a real chance of beating Canada:

Sweden and the USA because their goaltending is better

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#36 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

Hmm... you emphasize the skating part by cutting Nash, yet you have Lucic on the team.  Lucic is a big, tough power forward, but he is definitely NOT known for his skating or his speed.  I think he'd get into a bit of trouble on the big ice.  I still think Nash is a better skater and scorer than Lucic.

Ladd is also an interesting choice.  Great player, but I don't know if he has earned a spot over some of the other guys.  He surely deserves a camp invite, and he may play really well during the first part of the season...so who knows.  Hard to quibble though, I like all of these lineups.

Every team needs a shutdown line.  Nash is horrific on the defensive side of the game whereas Lucic is not bad and he has some chemistry with Bergeron.  Ladd is one of the best pure competitors in the NHL.  There's a reason he has 2 Stanley Cup rings cause he's a workhorse and he was the guys that drove the 3rd line on the SC champion teams.  He's like Helm with less speed, but more goal scoring ability. 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#37 Donohue75

Donohue75

Rookie

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

Neal - Crosby - Stamkos
Giroux - Getzlaf - Perry
Eberle - E Stall - Toews
Taveres-  J Staal - St. Louis

Bergeron

Couture

Doughty - Letang
Webber - Keith
Pietrangelo - Boyle

Subban
Bouwmeester

Luongo

Crawford

Price

It's been a great honor for me to be a player for the Detroit Red Wings, to play for an Original Six franchise. I know I'm far from perfect, but I learned a lot.
Steve Yzerman

#38 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

I like Canada's chances.

#39 Aznknight

Aznknight

Rookie

• Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

Neal - Crosby - Stamkos
Giroux - Getzlaf - Perry
Eberle - E Stall - Toews
Taveres-  J Staal - St. Louis

Bergeron
Couture

Doughty - Letang
Webber - Keith
Pietrangelo - Boyle

Subban
Bouwmeester

Luongo
Crawford
Price

You can't put Neal and Eberle on the top line ahead of Tavares haha...and Bergeron is the extra man behind those two lol. Go home line combo, you're drunk.

#40 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

You can't put Neal and Eberle on the top line ahead of Tavares haha...and Bergeron is the extra man behind those two lol. Go home line combo, you're drunk.

That may have been his "I don't want a medal" team.  Neal is a one-dimensional player and likely won't make the team even when Crosby begs for him to be on it.