• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

What ESPN does or does not do is a moot point in my life.

My sports are hockey, Whitewater slalom kayaking, and off-road motorcycle racing ( motocross and enduro). While ESPN knows who Sidney Crosby is, they don't know who Graham Jarvis or Scott Shipley are

And those two are every bit as athletic, talented, skilled, and dedicated as Sidney Crosby but due to their obscure sports, nobody knows who they are. And I'm totally fine with that.

#42 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

And 42% is about the blackhawks.

But Bettman isnt pushing an agenda at all.

Right. Bettman's so tight with ESPN, that's why they're percentage of hockey coverage is so low. Of course it has nothing to do with what team wins the most or what team has the most recognizable player in the league. No, it's Bettman's secret undercover agenda! He HATES the Wings. That's why he fulfilled his promise to move them to the Eastern Conference.

I just skimmed the article, but does the writer happen to mention that there was an NHL lockout during the time that he was doing this?

#43 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

Who?

What ESPN does or does not do is a moot point in my life.

My sports are hockey, Whitewater slalom kayaking, and off-road motorcycle racing ( motocross and enduro). While ESPN knows who Sidney Crosby is, they don't know who Graham Jarvis or Scott Shipley are

And those two are every bit as athletic, talented, skilled, and dedicated as Sidney Crosby but due to their obscure sports, nobody knows who they are. And I'm totally fine with that.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#44 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

Who?

Scott Shipley.  Superman in a boat.  Three World Championships. Nicest guy I have ever met.

https://www.youtube....h?v=IB1HTbOO9Go

Graham Jarvis

https://www.youtube....h?v=R04GZSKm5lY

https://www.youtube....h?v=1RluC1StXLc

Edited by T.Low, 28 July 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#45 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

once october comes TSN becomes 90% hockey and 10% for every other sport. the basketball fan in canada probably feels the same way as hockey lovers with espn

#46 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

I think it's better for espn to just cover the only thing they know and just leave. Hockey alone. I mean even if I were into the other sports their coverage is simply overkill and espn is going the way of MTV. As hockey fans we can be really thankful for TSN and their superb job of covering hockey.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#47 MDL

MDL

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:39 PM

Well whenever they do talk about the NHL it's about something bad, wrong, or terrible coverage.

#48 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

Very good point I think people who lovehockey aren‘t watching espn . Personally I couldn't care less about their ratings. As long as tsn is covering Hockey the sport is in good hands.

TSN is good if you can get it.  Hell, I turn on the NHL Network and The NBC Sports Network.  They have better hockey coverage than ESPN.  The only personality that I like watching on ESPN when it comes to hockey is Barry Melrose.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#49 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

ESPN gives the NHL 100% of its time, 2.7% of the time.

#50 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

ESPN gives the NHL 100% of its time, 2.7% of the time.

Every time?

Edited by dropkickshanahans, 30 July 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#51 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

Every time?

Every single time!

#52 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:52 AM

What's most impressive to me is that Patrick Burns chose to waste an entire year watching SportsCenter.

I'd rather watch SportsCentre.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#53 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

I think it's better for espn to just cover the only thing they know and just leave. Hockey alone. I mean even if I were into the other sports their coverage is simply overkill and espn is going the way of MTV. As hockey fans we can be really thankful for TSN and their superb job of covering hockey.

The MTV comparison stole the point I was going to make.  I don't have access to CBC or TSN here in Minnesota.  But after beating this argument into the ground for so many years, it's almost come full circle to the point where ESPN is controlling less and less of the narrative nowadays.  Yes, they're still HUGE, and they are definitely a major player in covering events and dictating the narrative of sports culture.  But SportsCenter is no longer a monolithic force in telling you what events are important.

ESPN competitors, like NBC Sports and Fox Sports One, have been traditionally mocked for focusing on niche sports and missing out the big time contracts.  But just like how MTV stopped showing music videos and replaced them with reality shows and cultural material, sports is also succumbing to our "a la carte" society.  If you're a racing fan or a soccer fan, you may spend more time on NBC Sports than you do on ESPN.  You don't need ESPN for highlights or news, that's what the internet and smartphones are for.  Any shocking highlight in ANY sport with any type of following will be posted on Deadspin with a YouTube link within an hour, and passed around on Twitter.

Just thinking about the joke that the OLN network was in 2005 and to think about what it is now as NBCSN is pretty amazing. The reality is that NHL hockey probably does have 2.7% (or less) of the collective sports interest in this country.  Football itself may occupy over 50% of it, and baseball and basketball are also huge players.  The NHL is a regional "niche" product, but the fans are very loyal. 

"Mad Men" gets about 1/4 of the viewer ship of "The Walking Dead" on the same network, but that really says nothing about the quality of product or the depth of enjoyment by its fans.

Edited by StormJH1, 31 July 2013 - 10:41 AM.